Count it or not...it still counts!

Options
2»

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    hell, I even log it when I have binged. Because who am I really lying to? my MFP friends, or my own damn self?
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Yep ♡
  • jcarville1510
    jcarville1510 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've encountered many a moment, especially around holidays where I've been hesitant to log things. If I don't log it...it doesn't count right? I can sit in silent bliss that no one knows that I had an extra slice of cake, that lick of BBQ sauce, the oils I used in my pan to cook my eggs, the idle candy sitting on the counter left over from Halloween (ya, I've found some starburst lying in the back of the pantry). But then, I sit there and I think. Sure. I'll be over, maybe even hilariously so but who am I really lying to if I don't log it? Does me not acknowledging the deed negate what I did? Nope. I can still gain weight from it. And then, days from now I'll probably have forgotten it and weeks from now when I lack progress I'll sit and wonder why. Not logging things does no good. I can't complain about the results I didn't get from the work I didn't do.

Sure, there will be days my logging won't be accurate, maybe I'll even have an unlogged day or two due to vacation, etc. It'd be unrealistic to think I could always do this every single day for the rest of my life (though I intend to do so to the best of my ability) and not have a few blank days. But I guess the point of it all is before you question the validity of calorie counting. We must first look to ourselves. First ask,

1. How long has it been? Only a few weeks? Keep going 3+ weeks and no progress, I'd probably look at that diary.

2. Am I logging everything?

3. Have a I started a new routine that could be causing temporary water weight? (For me it's like once a week on my heaviest lifting day)

4. How's that sodium? Excess sodium can cause temporary weight gain, too

5. Ladies...has mother nature come a knocking lately?

6. Do I weigh my solids, measure liquids if I'm having issue losing? It was actually a complete shock to me what a real portion of something was (some people do not need to do this, some people are pretty good at overestimating portions)

Remember that weight loss is not linear. A better test of progress will always be measurements and mirror. How you feel is ultimately important. Ideally, you'll see scale loss but for those with little to lose, slower is better, so don't fret.

Ultimately, whether or not to log it or not, if you ate it, it counts! Happy logging ;)

And a serious question that requires an answer asap...

Is this Tywin Lannister?

35899iq.gif

Technically the actor's name I believe is Charles Dance... But yes that's Tywin
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I log every single thing that has significant calories in it. Period. There are a few things that I do not bother to log because the calories are negligible and I probably burn more calories logging them than eating them. (Oh wait, that might be a good thing.) There is next to none in lettuce(1), celery(6), tomatoes(22), and cucumber(16), so I don't bother to count them. But it all depends on how much of something I'm having. If I were eating 50 or 100 calories worth of tomatoes, I'd sure be counting it. A couple of slices on a sandwich or in a salad? Nope.
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    It annoys me to no end when people say "oh but you ate chocolate" YES, i LOG IT EVEN IF I'M CHEATING. I log for my benefit, not for yours.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I log before I eat and after I exercise. My phone's always in my hand, so there's no reason not to. Lying to yourself is the worst kind of lie.

My main reason for logging everything is - once I'm at my goal weight, I'll very easily be able to calculate my TDEE and maintenance budget. No guessing, but the real numbers. If I was losing 0.5 lb/week when I hit my target, then I know I can add 250 cals/day and maintain. Simple and easy.
  • sonemoso
    sonemoso Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I log everything as well - to make sure I don't undereat
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options
    1119.gif

He's so dreamy
  • Mopar88
    Mopar88 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I can't say how awesome this post is! :)
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options
    Mopar88 wrote: »
    I can't say how awesome this post is! :)

<3