Don't feel like I'm eating my all calories with the diet plan my personal trainer gave me? Help

Options
BeyMe
BeyMe Posts: 43 Member
Okay so, I'm supposed to eat 1200 calories a day, but I don't feel like I'm reaching my calorie goals with the meal plan I'm given.

Here's the plan

EAT 6 TIMES PER DAY, 3 MEALS, and 3 SNACKS.
Ø BELOW WILL MAP OUT A TYPICAL DAY, HOW YOU CAN CHANGE THE VEGGIES & MEATS AS YOU PLEASE. THE PROTIONS NEED TO STAY THE SAME.

DAY 1 EXAMPLE:
BREAKFAST: 3 EGG WHITES, HALF CUP OATMEAL, HALF CUP OF SPINACH
SNACK: 4 OZ TUNA FISH, 8 ALMONDS
LUNCH: 4 OZ CHICKEN BREAST, 4 OZ ASPARAGUZ
SNACK: 4 OZ TUNA FISH, HALF BELL PEPPER (GREEN, YELLOW, OR RED)
DINNER: 4 OZ TALAPIA, 4 OZ GREEN BEANS
SNACKS- EGG WHITES, (AS MANY AS YOU WANT UNTIL BED TIME)

LEAN PRORTIENS
Ø TUNA FISH-SOLID WHITE

Ø TILAPIA

Ø COD

Ø SALMON

Ø TURKEY-CROUND/SLICED DELI MEAT

Ø CHICKEN

Ø LOBSTER

Ø SHRIMP

CARBS
Ø SPINACH

Ø OATMEAL

Ø BROCOLLI

Ø ASPARAGUS

Ø GREEN BEANS

Ø SWEET POTATO

SEASONINGS
Ø MUSTARD

Ø PEPPER

Ø LEMON PEPPER

Ø VINEGER/BALSAMIC

Ø CINNAMON

Ø TRUVIA/SPLENDA

So am I'm just not eating enough? what can I do to make sure I reach my calorie intake for the day?

Replies

• emmakate141990
    emmakate141990 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason there's no real meat?
  • BeyMe
    Options
    Is there a reason there's no real meat?

No real meat? Chicken, turkey ect isn't 'real' meat?
  • Ethereal_Whisper
    Ethereal_Whisper Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    what about adding whole eggs into the mix? is there a reason there aren't any?
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Have you logged your meals??
  • BeyMe
    Options

I try too.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

Errr this. Whats wrong with just eating at a deficit and within reason a normal balanced deit that yiu like with fruit and veg? Imo its too complicated, just keep it simple and make sure you have your deficit plus a reasonable amount of fruit and veg.

If you log your food accurately /weigh then you will know if its less or more than your calorie target.

Eating enough calories is easy, go for calorie dense foods or just have bigger portions, higher fat, so many options.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    If you're eating that 6 times a day, you might be reaching 1200 calories...but why so low? And why so restrictive on the allowable foods? Is there some particular reason for it?
  • harlequin0318
    Options
    I think more info is needed here...
  • harlequin0318
    Options
    Or a simpler answer - have a protein shake :)
  • BeyMe
    Options
    If you're eating that 6 times a day, you might be reaching 1200 calories...but why so low? And why so restrictive on the allowable foods? Is there some particular reason for it?

Idk my trainer made it for me... it's a diet plan
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    S/he didn't explain why your calories are set that low, or how these restrictions are supposed to help you? Keep in mind that most personal trainers have no nutrition education. I would question his or her qualifications to make such a plan, and also ask for an explanation of the plan itself.
  • harlequin0318
    Options
    BeyMe wrote: »

Idk my trainer made it for me... it's a diet plan

It's a lifestyle change, embrace it - you will love the results!
  • KatrineJensen
    KatrineJensen Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Idk, to me that diet seems way too repetitive and restrictive.. And are you even getting any fat at all apart from the 8 almonds? I'd be worried about not getting all the right vitamins and minerals as well as healthy oils with a diet that's so lacking in variation. And to me, it seems to be an excessive amount of protein compared to carbs and fat.. But hey, I'm no trainer or dietician at all, so it might be an alright diet if your trainer says so :)
  • BeyMe
    Options
    S/he didn't explain why your calories are set that low, or how these restrictions are supposed to help you? Keep in mind that most personal trainers have no nutrition education. I would question his or her qualifications to make such a plan, and also ask for an explanation of the plan itself.

His qualifications aren't my concern, I knows he's qualified. I just want to make sure I'm eating enough and/or logging the foods correctly. I mean, if you have any other useful suggestions like, other things I could eat or even a better meal plan that would be helpful.
  • harlequin0318
    Options
    The meal plan he gave you is for bikini competition prep - it will make you lean out FAST. So if that's your goal, keep on it. Which bring up the question again - what are your goals?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    The best meal plan is one that you can easily stick with. Many find that eating whatever they like in moderation while ensuring that they meet their macro requirements is the most sustainable plan. Others find they are better able to keep to their calorie goal if they cut out certain foods, like dessert or starches, for example. So the plan is really up to you, but you do want to find one that is both sustainable and adequate for your needs, and it appears that the plan your trainer gave you is lacking in some basic requirements, and possibly in sufficient calories.

MFP is pretty good at calculating your basic calorie requirements, if you remember to input your exercise and eat back some or all of those calories burned. Unless you're very short, 1200 is rather low. I'm only 5'3 1/2" and I eat over 1500. Another method is TDEE...you can find lots of TDEE calculators by Googling it. It will take the information you input and tell you approximately how many calories you burn each day including exercise (as long as the info you put in is accurate) so you don't have to eat your exercise calories back, since they're already included.

Regardless, once you set your total calories in MFP, you might want to adjust the macros...if you lift, you'll want to increase the protein to 25-30%, and then adjust fat and carbs to whatever makes sense for your eating plan (you wouldn't have 50% carbs if you're going low-carb, for example).
  • BeyMe
    Options
    The meal plan he gave you is for bikini competition prep - it will make you lean out FAST. So if that's your goal, keep on it. Which bring up the question again - what are your goals?

I'm 5'9 I want to get down to at least between 130-150. I'm 202 right now.
  • harlequin0318
    Options

I'm 5'9 I want to get down to at least between 130-150. I'm 202 right now.

Thats a great goal - but I think the trainer has put some unrealistic expectations on you. Is the diet he gave you a drastic change? And do you think you'll be able to keep up with it for a prolonged period of time?

Just some questions that you need to ask yourself. I asked myself these same questions - and I personalized my diet plan so I can keep eating things like potatoes, bread (very limited), and rice.

And of course, the weekly cheat meal!

• BeyMe
    Options
    The best meal plan is one that you can easily stick with. Many find that eating whatever they like in moderation while ensuring that they meet their macro requirements is the most sustainable plan. Others find they are better able to keep to their calorie goal if they cut out certain foods, like dessert or starches, for example. So the plan is really up to you, but you do want to find one that is both sustainable and adequate for your needs, and it appears that the plan your trainer gave you is lacking in some basic requirements, and possibly in sufficient calories.

MFP is pretty good at calculating your basic calorie requirements, if you remember to input your exercise and eat back some or all of those calories burned. Unless you're very short, 1200 is rather low. I'm only 5'3 1/2" and I eat over 1500. Another method is TDEE...you can find lots of TDEE calculators by Googling it. It will take the information you input and tell you approximately how many calories you burn each day including exercise (as long as the info you put in is accurate) so you don't have to eat your exercise calories back, since they're already included.

Regardless, once you set your total calories in MFP, you might want to adjust the macros...if you lift, you'll want to increase the protein to 25-30%, and then adjust fat and carbs to whatever makes sense for your eating plan (you wouldn't have 50% carbs if you're going low-carb, for example).

Thank you, as far as what to eat. I'm not sure what exactly works for me. MFP has always calculated 1200 calories for me after inputting my weight, height ect. I use to do good as far as eating things that where healthy and still sticking with my goals. I just logged the meal plan for an entire day and it came up to 886 way below 1200. That's what I'm confused about. I'm not sure what I should be adding to my diet to make sure I'm getting everything I need in order to lose weight correctly.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

His qualifications aren't my concern, I knows he's qualified. I just want to make sure I'm eating enough and/or logging the foods correctly. I mean, if you have any other useful suggestions like, other things I could eat or even a better meal plan that would be helpful.

I tend to disagree because your health is your concern so you should be concerned about your trainers qualifications. Like a nutritionist there are a lot of good & bad ones out there and obtaining qualifications for both isn't always very demanding.

However I would suggest that you add in the whole egg rather than egg whites because the yolk is where all the good stuff is.

Use some olive oil to cook with or to drizzle onto salads/veggies

Also nuts/seeds and nut butters can be well worth adding in to your diet.

All of which will increase your daily calories if they are too low

Most of all get a set of digital kitchen scales, weigh and log accurately what you eat then you will know what the calories add up to :smile: