Drinking alcohol and keeping within daily calories

Options
Hi everyone,
just wondering ......do you think its ok to have a few glasses of wine ...lets say twice a week and keeping within daily calories...I feel guilty : :(

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Well you shouldnt, as long as its within the limits you set, then drink it and enjoy it.
    Your guilt is silly.
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I include alcohol within my calorie limit once or twice a week. My only issue is resisting the munchies after a drink!
  • chezzac17
    chezzac17 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    thank you 999tigger..that makes me feel better ....you know when u r on a "diet" its a No No......and thank you craignev..haha makes me happy to hear from a fellow drinker..and lucky I don't get the munchies ....probably want to drink more that's all....phew thanks guys...cheers !!!
  • karenc118
    karenc118 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I agree, have a drink but be careful of the munchies... even worse the hangover carb binge lol
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    karenc118 wrote: »
    I agree, have a drink but be careful of the munchies... even worse the hangover carb binge lol

*THIS* is mainly why I avoid it.
  • chezzac17
    Options
    thank you but oh not sure what that means crisb2
  • chezzac17
    Options
    haha thanks karenc118...I will watch out for sure..good to hear as I said from other drinkers lol
  • crisb2
    edited October 2014
    Options
    About the munchies? I get hungrier when I drink. And then when I have a hangover I crave sugar and carbs (glazed krispy kreme and red soda especially)... which I'm avoiding.
  • chezzac17
    Options
    haha..thanks crisb2..but funny ..I don't really eat when drnking....mainly because I have been to dinner.....but I will certainly watch it...my weight loss is already slooooooowww...thanks again
  • chezzac17
    Options
    oh by the way..tooooo old now tooo drink to excess ..cant do the hangovers.....lol
  • crisb2
    Options
    Since I've stopped drinking alcohol all together. Now, whenever I occasionally indulge in ONE glass of anything, I'll get a hangover, it's really sad...
  • chezzac17
    Options
    oh yeah I hear..I think its called loosing form ....my daughter are the same now...its this getting old business lol...

by the way I read some stuff you were discussing on MFB about low carb diets ..it was funny & interesting...
  • felblossom
    felblossom Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    The worst thing you can do is say "oh no, I can't do that because I'm on a diet!" because that implies that it's only temporary. You're making a lifestyle change where you make choices that fit a caloric allowance, and you have to make them fit a lifestyle that's going to work for you in the long run. Are you never, ever going to have a glass of wine again? No, then don't cut it out of your diet :)

Alcohol can sometimes bring along its friends the fatty foods on the way home and the morning after. It's something you should try to avoid, but don't get too upset if you're in the red one day - just work a little harder another day!
  • chezzac17
    Options
    oh gosh thank you felblossom..that's so nice and yes you are right ...its not a diet its a lifestyle change for sure ....haha yes food is the threat..hot chips yummo .......
  • chezzac17
    Options
    thank you GrahamSS ..I understand ...lm lucky Im not doing big binges anymore ...as I said toooo old but I like a few wines.....mainly with dinner...but I mainly allow for it ..just feel guilty .....
  • crisb2
    edited October 2014
    Options
    felblossom wrote: »
    The worst thing you can do is say "oh no, I can't do that because I'm on a diet!" because that implies that it's only temporary. You're making a lifestyle change where you make choices that fit a caloric allowance, and you have to make them fit a lifestyle that's going to work for you in the long run. Are you never, ever going to have a glass of wine again? No, then don't cut it out of your diet :)

Alcohol can sometimes bring along its friends the fatty foods on the way home and the morning after. It's something you should try to avoid, but don't get too upset if you're in the red one day - just work a little harder another day!

It's possible if you change your lifestyle all together. I've been alcohol, sugary drinks, soda and juice-free for a year now. I choose to chew my calories, not drink them. But, if I have a glass of wine every now and then, I don't freak out either. I jot it down in MFP and move on. So it's not "the worst thing", everyone has different goals and lifestyle choices.
  • crisb2
    edited October 2014
    Options
    chezzac17 wrote: »
    oh yeah I hear..I think its called loosing form ....my daughter are the same now...its this getting old business lol...

by the way I read some stuff you were discussing on MFB about low carb diets ..it was funny & interesting...

:D
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I have a few ales each week :p Generally on a day when I make sure I've done some sort of exercise and have the calories left. Thankfully I don't get a hangover so no issues the next day, just sometimes have a bag of crisps in the pub.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    No reason not to, if that is where you want to spend your calories. This has to be a sustainable way of eating/drinking for us to be able to succeed and maintain. So, enjoy!

I get more satisfaction from chewing, so I drink mostly water, but I do indulge on holidays and have a glass of wine and sometimes a Bailey's.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Make it fit into your daily caloric allowance and you're fine.