Options
dvdlover
dvdlover Posts: 719 Member
edited October 2014 in Recipes
2 English muffins split
2 slices center cut bacon cut in half crosswise
2 large eggs
2 slices sharp cheddar cheese
lightly toast muffin halves cook bacon in a medium nonstick skillet until crisp transfer to paper towel crack eggs into drippings in skillet cook 2 minutes turn and continue cooking until yolk is desired doneness place eggs on muffin bottoms top with cheese and bacon and close sandwiches with muffin tops
Calories 266 Fat 13.1g Cholesterol 200mg Sodium 341mg Carbohydrates 27g Protein 11g Fiber 0g 2 servings

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    agree with hotmama. the eggs i eat are 70 each. something is slightly off here. perhaps you forgot to add something in your calculation?
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Isn't this for one serving?? That's how I read it..
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Gsdlovers wrote: »
    I mean per serving

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I mean per serving
    I ended up with about 350 calories per serving.
    -English muffin: 100-120 calories typically. I used 110.
    -Large eggs: 70 calories each
    -Bacon: assumed 1 slice, approx. 70 calories, but could vary widely
    -Cheddar cheese: 80-120 calories. I went with 100.

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I imagine it depends a lot on what type of cheese and bacon you use. I think slices like Kraft singles are lower in calories. At any rate, if somebody needs instructions on how to make this, I don't want them anywhere near my kitchen.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    This would make me extremely fat, fast. It's got like twice the calories you think.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I think Gsd is right (also, why would someone flag their comment? Wowwww), it looks like this is per serving. The calories vary depending on the type/brand of cheese and muffins you use. So instead of complaining, you could take it for what it is: An addition to the recipes section of the site. Also, not everyone uses this section specifically for recipes. Some people are planning out their meals and going "Hmm what sounds good today...oh a breakfast sandwich, that'd be tasty" and might not even make the exact same sandwich he has posted, but got the idea from seeing the post.

:)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Because it's not his recipe.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter--recipes aren't subject to copyright law. D!ck move to not cite his source, but he's not "breaking the law" as it were.
    One should distinguish between a recipe, a textual rendering of a recipe, and a compilation of recipes. Publications Intl. v. Meredith, 88 F.3d 473 (7th Cir. 1996) dealt with alleged infringement of a recipe book.

“The identification of ingredients necessary for the preparation of each dish is a statement of facts. There is no expressive element in each listing; in other words, the author who wrote down the ingredients for “Curried Turkey and Peanut Salad” was not giving literary expression to his individual creative labors. Instead, he was writing down an idea, namely, the ingredients necessary to the preparation of a particular dish. “[N]o author may copyright facts or ideas. The copyright is limited to those aspects of the work–termed ‘expression’–that display the stamp of the author’s originality.” Harper & Row, 471 U.S. at 547, 105 S.Ct. at 2223. We do not view the functional listing of ingredients as original within the meaning of the Copyright Act.

As the Supreme Court stated in Feist: Facts, whether alone or as part of a compilation, are not original and therefore may not be copyrighted. A factual compilation is eligible for copyright if it features an original selection or arrangement of facts, but the copyright is limited to the particular selection or arrangement. In no event may copyrights extend to the facts themselves. Feist, 499 U.S. at 350-51, 111 S.Ct. at 1290.

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Because it's not his recipe.

this recipe isn't all that unique in order to need to even site a source. a fried egg sandwich in bacon grease? i make these all the time. i don't need a recipe for it.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    This would make me extremely fat, fast. It's got like twice the calories you think.

I eat these all the time and I'm skinny.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I know this is a generic recipe, but it was lifted nearly word for word from the Sargento website. You've linked credit for previous recipes before; why not some of the more recent ones? The original creators deserve some credit for writing it out.

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter--recipes aren't subject to copyright law. D!ck move to not cite his source, but he's not "breaking the law" as it were.
    One should distinguish between a recipe, a textual rendering of a recipe, and a compilation of recipes. Publications Intl. v. Meredith, 88 F.3d 473 (7th Cir. 1996) dealt with alleged infringement of a recipe book.

“The identification of ingredients necessary for the preparation of each dish is a statement of facts. There is no expressive element in each listing; in other words, the author who wrote down the ingredients for “Curried Turkey and Peanut Salad” was not giving literary expression to his individual creative labors. Instead, he was writing down an idea, namely, the ingredients necessary to the preparation of a particular dish. “[N]o author may copyright facts or ideas. The copyright is limited to those aspects of the work–termed ‘expression’–that display the stamp of the author’s originality.” Harper & Row, 471 U.S. at 547, 105 S.Ct. at 2223. We do not view the functional listing of ingredients as original within the meaning of the Copyright Act.

As the Supreme Court stated in Feist: Facts, whether alone or as part of a compilation, are not original and therefore may not be copyrighted. A factual compilation is eligible for copyright if it features an original selection or arrangement of facts, but the copyright is limited to the particular selection or arrangement. In no event may copyrights extend to the facts themselves. Feist, 499 U.S. at 350-51, 111 S.Ct. at 1290.

All that says is the listing of ingredients is not copyright protected, however the directions can be if you read more about it. Which is something that he nearly copies verbatim for nearly all his recipes, then trolls and says they are his own recipes. The best is when he screws up copying nutrition information and the formatting gets all screwed up, a clear indication of copy pasting yet he denies. Of course he's not the only one in this section, another user is the only one who seems to suffer from uploading pics to an image hosting site and for that user only it removes the watermark.

Also for instance if you went to the terms of use for Sargento, perhaps scroll down and see what content they have protected by copyright and ip laws.

What is interesting at any other food site or forum, posting recipes without attribution repeatedly results in perma bans, even quicker when the poster actually tries to say the recipes are their own, when it's obvious to everyone they are not. For whatever reason the mods here let him do as he pleases, attack other users, troll, post threads that have a negative impact etc all things they will give out bans to other users for
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Wow. Some people sure are cranky this morning.
  • get_it_grrl
    Options
    Its a freaking egg sandwich! So if i typed out how to make a tuna salad , I need to cite??? People are insane.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Its a freaking egg sandwich! So if i typed out how to make a tuna salad , I need to cite??? People are insane.

I think it was moreso that this was lifted word from word from another website, rather than written in their own words.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    According to the original recipe it serves two, this should clear up some confusion

txzu8qifkpjp.png

Another proof never to trust nutrition info found in recipes anywhere!
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »

I think it was moreso that this was lifted word from word from another website, rather than written in their own words.

This is correct. Also bad moral judgement to steal work that isn't yours

And we got flagged for abuse for our responses, @__drmerc__.