Loose skin

Options
I just had my baby and gained way too much weight. I have 100lbs to loose. Do you guys think I will have a lot of loose skin? I am 5'6,27years old and got up to 222. I would like to get back down to 122.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    A lot of this has to do with genetics, but when you're young, your elasticity is better, so I wouldn't worry about it.
  • pagella
    pagella Posts: 44
    Options
    Great thanks! I'm really stressing out about it
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I think your skin will bounce back.

Mine is not and is depressing me. :(
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Personally i would wait until you come across that bridge. That is way down the road so just focus on your WOE and well being one day at a time.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Lose slowly, lift heavy and drink water.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    The studies show that for each 100 lbs you lose, you will have an estimated 10 lbs of leftover skin. Some people get genetically lucky and will have it bounce back better; and some have just done too much damage to repair. Water and exercise will help dramatically, but most of it is just genetic predisposition. Age is also a factor :)

Good luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You probably will, but it's still better than the alternative.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If you were only overweight for a short term (pregnancy related) and at your age there are reasons to be optimistic.

I have some, but it looks a lot better than being as heavy as I was, and I'm hoping it will continue to go away over time. I wouldn't worry about it in advance.
  • Lettee4
    Lettee4 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    if you're worried but still want to lose weight i say just play it by ear. i've lost 112 lbs so far and i have a bit of loose skin but its not heaps bad.
  • pagella
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

What was your start weight and height, age if you don't mind me asking?
  • LeoGuaje7
    Options
    I have this worry too, as i want to lose 100lb and i'm 6'4. But my doctor said do muscle work and lose weight slowly while drinking lots of water
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    pagella wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »

What was your start weight and height, age if you don't mind me asking?
    I'm in my forties. I started at 250 and am now 177. It's already pretty gross in my stomach, upper thighs and butt...and I can't imagine how horrid it will look in another forty or fifty pounds.

When you're young, your skin is more elastic and snaps back much better.

Good luck!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Probably.
  • twinzmom172
    twinzmom172 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'6. While pregnant with twins I went up to 226. I had them in November, I was 28. Right after I followed WW pretty faithfully, used an elliptical and by late summer the following year I was down to 132. It was the only time in my life where losing was easy and I did not have any loose skin issues.
  • timpani9
    Options
    I am also 5'6, 26 yo. I lost ~50 lbs and i have a little bit of loose skin at the top of my thighs. i did not do the right exercises when i lost weight i.e. all i did was cardio (BIG mistake... I know) so now i am doing as many squats, lunges, legs lifts as I can manage to improve the appearance.
  • pagella
    Options
    I'm also 5'6. While pregnant with twins I went up to 226. I had them in November, I was 28. Right after I followed WW pretty faithfully, used an elliptical and by late summer the following year I was down to 132. It was the only time in my life where losing was easy and I did not have any loose skin issues.

Great thanks for the help!
  • pagella
    Options
    timpani9 wrote: »
    I am also 5'6, 26 yo. I lost ~50 lbs and i have a little bit of loose skin at the top of my thighs. i did not do the right exercises when i lost weight i.e. all i did was cardio (BIG mistake... I know) so now i am doing as many squats, lunges, legs lifts as I can manage to improve the appearance.

I have been doing squats. Hopefully that helps. Thanks!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Really hard to say. I think I'm probably going to end up with a bit. Although from the looks of things it will probably be in my lower stomach area/above my Csection scar (I've had 2).

I was a healthy weight till mid 2009 when I started gaining weight. By 2011, I was getting close to 200lbs. I ended up pregnant that year and my weight skyrocketed to 260lbs in 34wks (preeclampsia created the need for an emergency csection).

Anyway, I'm about 173lbs currently and my biggest issue areas are my lower stomach & my butt. At the moment it's hard to tell if these areas are going to be loose skin or if they are both just saggy fat spots that will go away as I reduce fat.