Help Creating 5x5 Lifting Routine

Options
Hey all,
My goal is to gain mass and build strength. I like the idea of the 5x5 resistance routine and would like to get some feedback on my idea for a routine. I will be working out 3 times a week, alternating between 2 sets of exercises. I also do a 40 minute spin class 3 times a week, and have a separate training day for core. Does this seem like an okay workout plan? I'd be doing 5 sets of 5 reps for each move.

Workout A
Wide Grip Barbell Bench Press
Power Clean
Overhead Squat
Barbell Deadlift
Standing Dumbbell Military Press

Workout B
Narrow Grip Barbell Bench Press
Dumbbell Rows
Sumo Squat
Barbell Thuster
Dumbbell Pullover

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Why create one? Why not go with one that's already tried and proven?

those were my thoughts too...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

This. Creating a program is more complicated than it might seem. Stronglifts is good, and free. Starting Strength is 3x5 but it could easily be done as a 5x5 program.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

This. Creating a program is more complicated than it might seem. Stronglifts is good, and free. Starting Strength is 3x5 but it could easily be done as a 5x5 program.

All of the above

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    StrongLifts is a free app you can download on your phone. Over the past 6 months, it has been improved with added features, like bar graphs with progress, and automatic warmup routines. I started out with it, and made a good bit of progress, before I got bored with the unchanging nature of the routines and went looking for something different.
  • watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    ICF 5x5 might be worth checking out too. It is basically stronglifts 5x5 with accessory lifts. It's a pretty good routine for bulking.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    watto1980 wrote: »
    ICF 5x5 might be worth checking out too. It is basically stronglifts 5x5 with accessory lifts. It's a pretty good routine for bulking.

Oh, that one too. My husband does it and likes it.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you wouldn't just go with one of the many routines that's already out there. I suggest you go with something that's already proven.

I also suggest you first learn the basic lift before you start alternating different variants of it. It sounds cool and neat on paper to say I'm going to do narrow grip bench, then wide grip, then sumo squats, then front squats, then overhead squats all in the same week.. but once you get in the gym you will be overwhelmed because all of these compound lifts have a tough learning curve, especially if you are a beginner and have no knowledgeable person to teach you.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    watto1980 wrote: »

I agree.

muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    What's your professional background that gives you the ability in knowledge and training experience to create your own program?

Use what's already created, because like... we already have round wheels and stuff.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Perhaps the OP is lifting a significantly lower percentage of the SL's recommendation of percentage of 1RM and therefore the 5x5 she is referring to is not what everybody is thinking?

Still, that's a heck of lot of barbell work in two sessions - I would probably advise against it without knowing more of how you intended to approach each exercise -- not all those have to be done 5x5.

Otherwise OP, consider following the advice from the others above - the SL app and methodology is fairly easy to use/understand.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Perhaps leprechauns are piloting spaceships, and combating an ancient space evil.
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Perhaps leprechauns are piloting spaceships, and combating an ancient space evil.
    Ah... you again.Are we still feeling smug about all the people you've allegedly entertained in the past are we? No, don't answer. I'll just assume -- since there's a pant load of that demonstrated here.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    program actually looks ok to me (with the limited knowledge about the OP).

I'd suggest for 5 exercises if going close to failure on these sets, that you should reduce to 3 sets instead of 5. Also, 1 set if you are doing full deadlifts not RDL's. (too taxing to do frequenty, pending strength levels)
  • dbmata
    Options
    Ah... you again.Are we still feeling smug about all the people you've allegedly entertained in the past are we? No, don't answer. I'll just assume -- since there's a pant load of that demonstrated here.

You were just jabbering incoherently in your post. Anyone can do SL 5x5, or any other beginner program, which is why they're like... beginner programs.

Don't be upset because I've had success, haterade ain't too tasty bro. ;) You should want to aspire to such great heights.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Hey all,
    My goal is to gain mass and build strength. I like the idea of the 5x5 resistance routine and would like to get some feedback on my idea for a routine. I will be working out 3 times a week, alternating between 2 sets of exercises. I also do a 40 minute spin class 3 times a week, and have a separate training day for core. Does this seem like an okay workout plan? I'd be doing 5 sets of 5 reps for each move.

Workout A
    Wide Grip Barbell Bench Press
    Power Clean
    Overhead Squat - won't work if it's strength program, just do normal squats
    Barbell Deadlift
    Standing Dumbbell Military Press - Won't work, do the seated, if doing standing, use a barbell

Workout B
    Narrow Grip Barbell Bench Press
    Dumbbell Rows
    Sumo Squat
    Barbell Thuster
    Dumbbell Pullover - won't work, if doing 5x5, heavy weight won't be managed

I've added in bold why some exercises won't work.. However, there are quite a few factors as well that I can see you haven't considered when making this program.. Example, the different muscle groups targeted - many left out..

Take other people's advice and follow set programs which are made by professionals - you can even find some different variations if you look around.
  • civilizedworm
    edited October 2014
    Options

You were just jabbering incoherently in your post. Anyone can do SL 5x5, or any other beginner program, which is why they're like... beginner programs.

Don't be upset because I've had success, haterade ain't too tasty bro. ;) You should want to aspire to such great heights.
    Yes I get that 5x5 is a beginner program... however, I never made an argument against the OP doing SL. Please site where you think in my original post that I made such a claim, otherwise you are titling at a strawman.

• astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    seems like a lot to add onto a pre existing 4 day schedule... and youll no longer need a core day. good squats and deads will take care of that

i also agree with previous comments and could poke more holes in the routing

wide/narrow but no traditional BP? squats immediately followed by deads?