Do you suggest Mfp to other people

Options
This lady at my work was talking about how she is trying to lose weight but she hasn't lost any weight .I have been thinking to suggest mfp but I don't want to offend her.The only reason why I am considering this is because she brought this to us.Otherwise I woudnt. So do you suggest mfp to other people when they bring up the fact that they are trying to lose weight?

Replies

• mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I do suggest it to them. Problem is they don't want to put the effort into logging their food. Oh well, I tried to help them.
  • karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    if they ask what I'm doing --- which is happening alot at work lately....then I tell them my workout and that I weigh / log my food on MFP. Nothing offensive about that. What they do with the information is up to them.
  • Canwehugnow
    Canwehugnow Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I do, but only when they bring up losing weight first and needing some help.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    To every client as of late. Because the reality is is that weight loss is about calories in and calories out and counting them and being aware of them is how people lose. Making it easy to count calories will get people to do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I used to recommend it when people asked how I lost weight and kept it off. Since the "upgrades" I no longer do. When MFP gets everything working properly again I'll go back to recommending it when people ask.

I wouldn't recommend it (or anything else) to anyone who didn't specifically ask me for help.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    It depends. Generally though I only offer advice when I'm specifically asked for it. Otherwise I just listen. Or at least I try to.
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I did recently to a co worker who was asking for tips for weight loss, but to be honest I realized afterwards that I like to be anonymous on this site and not known by RL acquaintances. I am able to 'keep it real' here that way.

Anyway, she found it frustrating to use due to the recent upgrades I guess, and she didn't want to take the time to log so I don't think she is using it anymore. It also bugs me that I can't keep my age private if a co worker should 'friend me' on here, I would really like that option.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Like others have said, I do recommend it if someone asks how I've had success. Lately I've been offering to sit down and show them how to use it, since it seems less user friendly since the updates.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I mention it if they appear both interested and like they genuinely want to know, but mostly not.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Tanie98 wrote: »
    This lady at my work was talking about how she is trying to lose weight but she hasn't lost any weight .I have been thinking to suggest mfp but I don't want to offend her.The only reason why I am considering this is because she brought this to us.Otherwise I woudnt. So do you suggest mfp to other people when they bring up the fact that they are trying to lose weight?

yes. I tell everyone who asks what I am doing or suggest it to them if they say they are trying to lose weight or get in shape. I love mfp.

• CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course I do. I have suggested it to my sisters who now use it. I have suggested it to others when they ask how I did it, they honestly don't believe me.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    As others have said, I only do it when the subject comes up. My boyfriends friend is really paranoid about gaining back all the weight he lost so I suggested he use MFP to give him a little peace of mind. He seemed to like it.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I do if people say they wanna lose weight, but nobody ever listens.
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I do if they ask how I lost my weight. Not one person so far has used it, therefore nowadays I just keep it brief and don't go into specifics. There's only so many times you can see that glazed look come into their eyes without getting frustrated and not bothering.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If people compliment me and say they want to lose weight, I strongly suggest MFP. I am SO happy I brought it up to my sister, who is 100 pounds overweight and said she was exercising and wanted to watch her food. She's logged everything since August and lsot 32 pounds. She's amazing.

I would never bring it up unless someone asked or said they were trying to lose. Then you can just say what worked for you and let them take it from there.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I suggest MFP all the time, I am like a free commercial for them. I only suggest it when people comment on how well I look. I don't bring it up unless someone is curious as to what I am doing.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I mention it if they appear both interested and like they genuinely want to know, but mostly not.

This. ^^^

I also have a friend who really wants to lose a bit of weight and always moans at how I manage to keep the weight off. She knows how I do it through MFP but she thinks that it's obsessive counting calories and wont do it.

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Only when people find out about my weight loss and ask how I did it.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    All the time because I believe in what MFP does.

However, as many previous posters mentioned, even though most has witnesses my physical transformation & asked how I did it, when I share that it was 3 simple things: MFP, regular exercise, & persistence, 99.9% of them just saids "ahhh" & moves on.

The people I've come across seem to like the idea of loosing weight but is not quite there of actually doing something about it other than a fad diet here & there periodically.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I do recommend it, but for the most part I've found that people will come and create an account, look around, maybe log for a day or two then disappear from the site. and a few months later, will be complaining that they are still overweight. Which makes me insanely mad.