Does running get easier? Feeling pathetic and don't want to give up again....

Options

Replies

• debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    kelle_r wrote: »
    Do any of you do this on a treadmill? Or all outside?

I do this on a treadmill. Although many dread that, I seem to enjoy it more than having to pay attention to bumps on the road, cars, trees.. etc. I get to totally phase out and enjoy my audiobooks.

A note if you do it on a treadmill though, if you decide later to move to running outside you are in for a surprise. You would be conditioned for treadmill running so running outside will prove different. Not being able to watch your pace, having to move your body in a different way and such will make things harder so it will take some getting used to after you make the switch.

I for one do not plan to. I REALLY enjoy treadmill running.

Yep I did most of my running on a treadmill before I moved and could run for a mile, have a rest then carry on etc, would run outside once a week at most. Now all my running is outside (I live by the sea) but I find it completely different

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I dont run, but whats wrong with running a bit further or faster each week? Beating your targets and bilding on endurance and speed.? More worrying is your expectations of yourself, disappointment ending in beating yourself up.

Be patient, be realistic and be kind to yourself. It will end up in you achieving targets and happier which will encourage tou to reach new targets.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would say it gets easier the more you stick at it! Here are some things that have helped me improve both for time/distance:
    • Vary your route and distance. Don't run the same route; change it up! SOmetimes I'll even drive to the waterfront for different scenery.
    • Vary your running workouts. Sometimes I'll run an easy 3, other times it's a hard 6. Some days I'll warm up and do a series of track sprints. I rarely do the same distance in a week.
    • Stick with it. I run between 3-5 days a week. In the last 6 months I've gone from running over a 10- minute mile (usually closer to 11 minutes) to clocking miles under 9 minutes at roughly the same effort. I think this is persistence.
    • Watch the self talk. SOOOO much of running is in the head. If you were to run next to me, you'd frequently here me talk out loud to myself. I have phrases like "you've got this," "let's go," "you're strong," etc. While this sounds silly, it's something simple I do to reinforce the fact I AM a runner.
    • Get yourself some running gear/clothes. I dunno know why this is, but LOOKING like a runner helps me FEEL like a runner. In the last couple months, I've ditched the oversized cotton t's for fitted tanks, capris, running sleeves, and a runner's cap. (Now maybe this is just motivating for me, but hey - it's helped!).
    • Cross train. I incorporate a few workouts a week that have nothing to do with running. Right now, my favorite is to build strength through heavy weight lifting. However, I also enjoy yoga and about a workout per week of another form of cardio.

Phew! Sorry that was so long - it's just a topic I feel passionate about. Personally, I used to dread running a single mile but I've managed to now complete a few full distance marathons and other races, so what I've shared comes from experience here. ;)

Good luck!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    I dont run, but whats wrong with running a bit further or faster each week? Beating your targets and bilding on endurance and speed.? More worrying is your expectations of yourself, disappointment ending in beating yourself up.

Be patient, be realistic and be kind to yourself. It will end up in you achieving targets and happier which will encourage tou to reach new targets.

The problem with that approach is that working on both pace AND duration at the same time is not realistic at best (bad progress on either) and can cause injuries at worst.

Her disappointment is understandable. I'm passionate about this topic because just a couple of months ago I swear I could have written the exact same post, it's eery! A program aimed at beginners, yet I struggle to make it past a certain week in the program? What's wrong with me? Why is it so hard for me when others seem to be able to do it easily? Does it ever get easier? Will I always fail at running when I want to do it so badly?

Turns out all I needed to do was understand what level my body operates at, and find a better approach to fit that. Even that approach I had to modify to fit my own needs (doing kilometers instead of miles and doing 90 second walks instead of 1 minute). When I first struggled to run 3 continuous minutes but succeeded, I felt like a hero. A champion. A small victory but the sense of accomplishment was worth a thousand days of trying to repeat a certain day in C25k and failing.. only managing to run a measly 3 minutes. Same accomplishment, but the motivation levels in both cases are phenomenally different.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    How fast are you running in the running intervals? You might be going too fast; most beginners do, especially in the heat. A good rule of thumb is the talk test: you should be able to talk comfortably when running, but you shouldn't be able to sing. If you can sing, you're not up to moderate intensity. If you can't talk comfortably, you're at or above your lactate threshold and you're entering high intensity. High-intensity intervals can be useful but I wouldn't recommend it until you're comfortable covering your 6 km loop.

A lot of inexperienced runners also have too low a cadence (steps per minute) and take strides that are too long. A good target cadence is 160-180 steps per minute (counting each foot separately). A high cadence ensures that your stride isn't too long, which means you're less likely to have excessive heel strike, and it keeps you from bouncing up and down too much, which reduces the risk of injury.

You can measure your cadence by counting the number of times your right foot hits the ground in 1 minute, then multiply by 2. If it's under 160, try increasing by just 5 steps per minute on your next interval and see how that feels. Don't try to increase your cadence quickly; you want to adapt.

Finally, if you can run 3 minutes, walk 2, and repeat 11 times, you're doing well! In that case, I'd advise trying, in your last interval, to run 3:30 and walk 1:30, instead of 3 and 2 minutes. If that works out OK, then do it in your next-to-last interval too. Repeat until you're running 3:30 and walking only 1:30 for each interval. Once you can do that, you know what to do: go to 4 minutes running and 1 minute walking for the last interval, and gradually work up to 4 to 1 for the whole workout. At that point you can begin to increase the running time, and keep 1 minute rests. Some coaches like Jeff Galloway recommend the run-walk-run method for recreational runners even after they don't absolutely need to walk, in order to reduce the risk of injury and improve speed in the running intervals.

Good luck! You can do this!
  • april32many
    Options
    Come up with a mantra and don't let negativity crowd it out! Mine is "I'm a machine" and I just keep chanting it in my head until I feel well oiled and hit my stride. For me, when I ran daily, it took about 3 months to work up to a few 9 minute miles. Eventually I was running six miles a day. That took me a year. I fell out of the habit and now that I'm no longer in my twenties I'm finding it nearly impossible to reconnect with that same motivation. I saw the doc about my popping knees (had an x-ray) and was told I shouldn't run anymore. So, I fell in love with the elliptical. Recently, my elliptical broke, I started a new semester in college and I've become pretty sedentary:( So, does running get easier? Yes and no. The biggest obstacle to running being rejuvenating and stress relieving is the thinking that accompanies the action (I think that could be said of most things). Keep at it or find something that fits you more (maybe an elliptical while you watch your favorite episode of something or listen to your favorite music). Just keep on moving!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    So it took me 14 months to build up to running 5k without walk breaks. And my time was not impressive, about 40 minutes. C25k was extremely hard for me. I had a young child in daycare who was bringing home all kinds of illnesses and i have asthma so i couldn't fight them off. I had strep throat 3 times in 2 months among other things. And each time I had to take a week or two off, it would set me back with running. Eventually I realized taking walk breaks wasn't working for me so I switched to finding out how long I could run without walking (10 minutes) and i would round out my time with 20 minutes of walking. Once every 8 days i would extend my time by 2.5 to 5 minutes depending on how well I was doing. But the trick is to run slower than you think you need to. Without walk breaks i was running 13:30-14 minute miles.
    So did this work? I would say so. It took from 2011-2012 for me to run 5k. But since then I've run 7 half marathons, and I've got my first marathon scheduled for next Sunday and I was able to get my weekly mileage up to 47 average with a peak of 58 mpw. My speed has improved a little too, my 5k is down to 26:04 and dropping.
    My advice to you is keep at it. If i can do it, anyone can. Just slow down and stop putting pressure on yourself. You can get there, it just takes some people longer than others.
  • RachelAngel01
    RachelAngel01 Posts: 77 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If you're worried about the walking, consider this: I "ran" a half marathon yesterday in intervals of 30 seconds run, 30 seconds walk. I was passing people who were only running and I finished with a pace of 12:30/mile. Not too shabby for someone who technically walked half the race!

In all seriousness, just get out there and go. Running is a mental game. Slow down and put the miles on your feet, you will improve. Get a running buddy or join a group. Make a plan, and get out there! You can do it!
  • IndianPrincess8888
    IndianPrincess8888 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Number One: Don,t worry what other people think. I was running too fast and not being able to go far because I worried what other people thought about me jogging slow. When I let that worry go, I was able to slow down and pace my self.
    Number Two : Positive thoughts like ( I got this ) or ( I can do this ).
    Number Three : Music
    Number Four; Go Slow, But also make goals and push yourself a little at a time.
    YOU GOT THIS AUSSIEEMS !!!!!
  • browndog1410
    Options
    aussieems wrote: »
    So the title pretty much says it.... I've tried and failed for years to "become a runner" I love the idea of running, but the practice of it makes me sick. I've started off with intervals, but as I'm running, all I can think about is my failures and if I hadn't given up, then I would be somewhere by now.... I feel like this every time I start again, and give up soon after.... How can I find the enjoyment in it? I really want to do this... I really do... Just tell me I'll get there and Itll get easier... Lie if you need to ;) anyone else starting out? I'm currently running (I relate my run speed to that of a tortoise) a 6km loop, in 3 mins run, 2 walk. It takes me about 55minutes to complete. I've tried C25K and it didn't work for me.... Any tips or thoughts?

Thanks
    X
    I've only read a few other posts so sorry if I've repeated myself. Why continue to do something that you really don't want to do. You're just wasting your time - and its a limited resource.
    If fitness is your goal then consider: weights done in circuit fashion. You will get fitter, stonger and its a lot quicker and more fun then running.
    Just my perspective
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    But I want to be a runner (insert 2year old tantrum here, complete with stomping foot)

Thanks for the app recommendation, will check it out now:)

Yeah, well I tried to force the issue for quite some time as well...I'm so much happier now and far more consistent in my fitness now that I don't run and actually do stuff I enjoy doing.

I'm not saying you should give up running...but you should probably have some kind of meeting with your mind and determine if you actually want to be a runner or you just think you have to be or something.

I personally found my passion on my bike...

• rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Does running get easier? Feeling pathetic and don't want to give up again....

the first thing that sprang to mind reading your title is the classic running quote:

"It doesn't get easier. you just get faster."

which admittedly is a pretty sh!tty way to respond to a heartfelt request, so sorry about that. But it is true. There is a second quote which is a bit nicer:

"if you run, you are a runner".

I went through seven weeks of self-hatred, lugging my 120kg frame through a mild 7km loop, going from walking every second lamppost, to running a km, walking a km, to running 2, walking 1, to running half, walking a km, to running everything except the steepest uphills, to running the full distance.

at no point along the way was there a breakthrough moment when I considered myself a 'runner', always just a fat dude waaaaayyy slower than anyone else out there, wheezing my way past the beautiful people and leaving a sweat trail.

But then one day I realised that every run was faster than a month previously, and every time I ran I felt good for at least some of the run, and the miserable parts of the run were just...things that sometimes happened.

In other words I'd become a runner, and had learnt how to endure rather than suffer.

In conclusion:

(a) you are a runner already.

(b) it doesn't get easier; but you get better.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    rrowdiness wrote: »
    "It doesn't get easier. you just get faster."

which admittedly is a pretty sh!tty way to respond to a heartfelt request, so sorry about that. But it is true.

Although in this case it appears that the problem is, going too fast...
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    So it took me 14 months to build up to running 5k without walk breaks. And my time was not impressive, about 40 minutes. C25k was extremely hard for me. I had a young child in daycare who was bringing home all kinds of illnesses and i have asthma so i couldn't fight them off. I had strep throat 3 times in 2 months among other things. And each time I had to take a week or two off, it would set me back with running. Eventually I realized taking walk breaks wasn't working for me so I switched to finding out how long I could run without walking (10 minutes) and i would round out my time with 20 minutes of walking. Once every 8 days i would extend my time by 2.5 to 5 minutes depending on how well I was doing. But the trick is to run slower than you think you need to. Without walk breaks i was running 13:30-14 minute miles.
    So did this work? I would say so. It took from 2011-2012 for me to run 5k. But since then I've run 7 half marathons, and I've got my first marathon scheduled for next Sunday and I was able to get my weekly mileage up to 47 average with a peak of 58 mpw. My speed has improved a little too, my 5k is down to 26:04 and dropping.
    My advice to you is keep at it. If i can do it, anyone can. Just slow down and stop putting pressure on yourself. You can get there, it just takes some people longer than others.

That's exactly how I'm dong it now. I ran for 7:34 mins (1k) then did some walking today, planning to add more running from next week

• Tim_Simons
    Tim_Simons Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I do not usually ran. I get lazy with running. I go for swimming or biking. I also go with machine for cardio. It depends on you. You can mix your cardio. To keep you going. Stay motivated all the time.
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Agree that it's mostly mental. Just get out and run. I've been running for 7 years now, and I do about 6miles a day. I probably walk about 2 of it. No one's perfect. Don't put so much dang pressure on yourself!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i was never a runner, but after watching a friend of mine complete a10k in a wheelchair, i decided to sign up to run a 10k and the most important thing i have learnt is that its ALL in your head... the only reason you're not a runner is because your mind tells your body to stop... you CAN run for longer than 3 minutes at a time.
  • KrazyKenny1967
    Options
    I ran as a younger person, I too wanted to start again, my back hurt and I thought I was gonna cough up a lung. After a 40 lb weight loss I recently started running (barely) So far I walk 15 minutes and run 5, for the last 2 weeks. This week I will increase to 15 min walk 10 min run. Just the 5 minute run feels good and the memories flood in from my past. I don't care how slow my progress is I'm gonna work up to 30 min then I'll go from there.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    imo, it gets easier... I dont feel the endorphins kick in and everything fully warmed up until about 1-1.5 miles and I dont usually run much further than 3. The last two miles are always what I enjoy. The first mile always sucks.
  • mave34
    mave34 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I was never much of a runner, but I find it to be more mental than physical for me at this point. I used to pay attention to every single little ache, pain, and think I need to quit but I keep pushing myself mentally telling myself "come on, you got this" and have become my own little cheering section in my head. I keep my head up eyes as forward as they can see and just go. Do intervals that work for you and gradually increase as you feel you can do but try and push yourself a little, that's how you get better. Erase that self doubt, and like someone said here 'your a machine' and can accomplish anything if you have the right mind set! If you want it as bad as you say then you WILL get there. Good luck !!