Too much protein? Help..

Options
I just started three days ago....and the protein that the program suggests I take in each day is really low. It's 51 grams. By the time I eat two slices of lean turkey and 1 oz of chicken...I am done. I was told that when dieting we should at least consume the USDA recommended amounts of 80 + (depending on weight).

Bottom line, I am not hitting all of my other numbers because I am trying to keep the protein down. Any thoughts on foods to eat that would be lower in protein to help me stay at my suggested numbers?

Thanks!!

Replies

• shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    Options
    Unless you are an athlete or doing long hours of cardio work, stick with protein over the carbs. MFP is way out of wack on this aspect. I'm over my protein almost everyday and I've lost 6 pounds in about a month not spectacular but I'm getting there, when I eat too many carbs that's when I gain weight. If you are doing strength training it is essential that you eat a lot of protein to help your muscles build and recover from exercise. This is what my body has reacted too, of course everyone's body dynamic is different.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I think the protein on here is too low--and a lot of other people on here do as well (people who, frankly, seem a lot more educated about fitness than me) :huh:
    I adjusted mine and lowered my carbs. You can go to "goals"--> "change goals"--> "custom" and then adjust the percentages if you want to change yours too.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    that is not low...that it is the perfect amount..we should only be getting that much 40 for women 60 for men.
    see the american heart association

ps..the USDA is an inspection agency with their hands in big beef..of course they say you should eat more meat.
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    you can get protein other ways than meat lol almonds, protein shakes....etc.
    I personally try at eat my weight in protein a day, I am building muscle so it works for me.
  • djhavoc
    djhavoc Posts: 43
    Options
    MFP recommendation for protein is way too low most will agree on that on here. If your working out your protein intake should be way above 50, I lost 9lbs so far and every day I've gone over even double of what MFP recommends for protein. The overall important number to worry about is calories.
  • jenniferparker3
    Options
    Thank you all for your feedback. You all (mostly) seem to be in agreement that MFP is out of whack on this. In the meantime, I also asked my sister's trainer and two of my girlfriends who are trainers. They all agree that this number is too low. If I ate 1 oz of chicken, two egg whites and 12 almonds I would go over by 15 grams. And, we all can agree that is not unhealthy eating ;-)

I am taking all of your advice......low carbs.....don't worry as much about the protein number and keep exercising.

Thanks so much!
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to build muscle, shoot for 1-1.5 grams of protein per day.
  • TiffanyW1014
    TiffanyW1014 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I get between 110-120 grams of protein a day and I am down 70 pounds since June! On days I don't hit my protein I will gain weight but if i hit my protein numbers the number on that scale goes down. Good luck!
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    Thank you all for your feedback. You all (mostly) seem to be in agreement that MFP is out of whack on this. In the meantime, I also asked my sister's trainer and two of my girlfriends who are trainers. They all agree that this number is too low. If I ate 1 oz of chicken, two egg whites and 12 almonds I would go over by 15 grams. And, we all can agree that is not unhealthy eating ;-)

I am taking all of your advice......low carbs.....don't worry as much about the protein number and keep exercising.

Thanks so much!

You got it!! And you can also manually adjust any of the MFP goals manually to suit your needs (if the red numbers bother you).