Daily weight fluctuations

Options
Hi everyone,

If you weigh yourself daily (I like to) does your weight naturally fluctuate? I've been on here daily for about 22 days and have lost about 5lbs in that time, so I'm happy with my overall progress, but every few days or so my weight will jump up a pound or two, even though I've been under my calorie goal. I know this is normal and I'm not worried about it (as long as the overall trend is down) but I was curious if this happened to everyone? And also if any of you had seen a pattern in when and by how much it fluctuates?

Thanks

Replies

• kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Too much salt, a new workout, TOM, all of these can cause fluctuations, don't stress over it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Normal water retention and poop.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing in daily. The day-to-day variations will make you crazy.
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    For a while I weighed myself in the am and in the pm. I've found that on average I gain 3 pounds over the day, every day.

If i go a day without pooping, i weigh a pound more the next day, then it goes away...
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    It happens to me too, i think its totally normal. And def not worth worrying about :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's completely normal. Saturday night I had Chinese food (aka Sodium Heaven). Woke up Sunday up 1.8 pounds from Saturday morning. Yet today I'm two pounds down from yesterday. I always go up about two pounds for TOM as well.
  • lola_zzz
    lola_zzz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, completely normal. My weight fluctuates signficantly day-to-day due to water rentention as much as 1kg depending on the type of exercise I do on the previous day, the content of my meals (e.g. if I eat pasta, I'll go up), how much sodium in my diet, how late I eat, etc. At my time of the month, I gain 2-3 kg.

This is why (although people don't recommend) it, I weigh myself everyday as it provids me with more data points to allow me to differentiate between real/"unreal" weight loss and weight gain.
  • garnerish
    garnerish Posts: 67 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Yeah, I weighed myself weekly for the first few months, so I already knew what I was doing would work.

Now that I've moved to daily, I'm okay when it fluctuates because I know it'll go down eventually.

And the difference is, I catch it when it goes down. E.g. Dropped 1lb from Friday to Saturday. If I'd done my normal Friday weigh in I would've just thought I'd lost half a pound.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

glad poop got mentioned early. I weighed in like half a lb heavier yesterday (most likely sodium), and today despite not pooping I'm back to pre-gain weight lol. Will be interesting to see how I fluctuate on maintenance!
  • RegularR0b
    RegularR0b Posts: 15 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Haha pretty much this. I'm on the last stretch, and it fluctuates quite a bit.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    So much fluctuation. Sometimes I weigh myself multiple times a day in order to catch my true weight. Yesterday it looked like I gained weight (though I knew it was water) until I finally got some good sleep and a pee and then BAM weighed in at my lowest weight yet.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Our bodies are weird, and yes, this is very normal. As long as the overal trend is downward, you are on the right track.

This morning my scale showed that I was up 3 pounds, but yesterday was a high sodium day and I didn't drink my normal amount of water, so I know it will gone tomorrow or the day after. There are a lot of other reasons on the flucuating weight, but don't worry about it!

Here is a picture from my daily weigh-in's from a few months ago, as you can see, a lot of up & down, but overall it is going down.

3IOP8Rx.png