Have you kicked coffee/caffeine? How did YOU do it?

Options
2»

Replies

• REman
    REman Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I quit caffeine because I HAD to. I tapered off, and if you get withdrawal headaches (and you might not) take some ibuprofen. It will pass. Increase your water too.

Be very sure to check labels, caffeine is in lots of things you might not suspect (some root beers, Excederin, codeine sometimes.)

You can do this, and I hope you'll be deservedly proud of yourself for kicking a bad habit!

This may be the time to do it since I'm already taking ibuprofen for a muscle injury. Thanks!
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    So I realized I had become addicted to my skinny vanilla lattes and decided that I would give it up for Lent. I'm not going to lie, it was HARD! I never got headaches (thankfully) but everyday I was tempted to stop and buy. On the weekends, my husband would make coffee and asked me if I wanted some. AHH!!! Anyway, it got to the point where I just stopped thinking about it and craving it. I don't know when it happened exactly, but it did. It's not going to be easy, but you can do it!!!!
  • DreaMartinez
    Options
    I'm not a coffee drinker, but was a big diet mountain dew drinker. I went cold turkey and after about a week I started feeling FANTASTIC.
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I had to get the will power to do it, i cut down my pepsi gradually, until one day I was like okay, let me try to go a day without pepsi, and I was able to, it was tough not going back because its always at my house bc some members of my family still drink it, but once i got the mindset for it, it was easy!!!!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I quit caffeine cold turkey for about a year and a half (granted, I wasn't a junkie before). Then I started having health and energy problems and started drinking Coke again. After I joined MFP I realized I couldn't take the sugar anymore and I drink black or green tea.

Tea is a good way to step out of the caffeine habit. It has less caffeine and zero calories! Eventually you won't need it anymore.
  • Tera2KiloByte
    Tera2KiloByte Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I used to be addicted to soda (D.Coke was my drug). Then I quit cold turkey, which was one of the worse things I ever did. I was up to about 6 cans a day as a high, like on the weekends. I felt so sick for days, I was even thinking about leaving work on one of the days. I was doing good not drinking soda for a while, I switched to flavored water like crystal light, but then I went on vacation where all we drank was soda, so now I need to ween myself off again. My path of kicking soda was fruit punch crystal light, then mainly water.
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I work at a coffee shop yet was still able to ditch my coffee addiction. I used to drink iced lattes EVERY DAY at work, and have instead replaced them with decaf iced tea that I brew for myself.

To cut the coffee addiction, go GRADUALLY.
    I'd suggest something like this:
    week 1: drink coffee that is 3/4 regular 1/4 decaf
    week 2: coffee that is 1/2 regular 1/2 decaf
    week 3: coffee that is 3/4 decaf 1/4 regular
    week 4: full on decaf coffee. I also suggest trying some good decaf teas, maybe chai or chamomile

You could go cold turkey of course, but I think a more gradual process from 2-4 weeks will help you kick the habit for good :)

Good luck!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    yup..caffeine that is. not coffee.
    i did it cold turkey. wasnt too hard for me..but i'm one of THOSE people who can just do something with no problem..as long as i set my mind to it.

i do decaf coffee...i dont drink anything but water, coffee and beer here and there.
  • elg1982
    elg1982 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I drastically cut caffeine this month to help me hydrate for a race. However, I was only drinking a cup of coffee in the morning and a large diet cola at lunch. I did notice a difference. After 2 or 3 days I felt much more energized and rested when I woke up in the morning. I also fell asleep faster.

Week 1: Switch to tea in the morning and seltzer at lunch
    Week 2: same
    Week 3: Switch to green tea in the morning and seltzer at lunch

Green tea does have some caffeine and I had 2 or 3 diet Snapples this month but it's a lot less than I used to have.
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Was never a coffee person, but I had a bad fountain coke habit. I quit cold turkey 03/01/2010 and have not had any soda since. The first week or so, I had 2 tylenol right when I woke up in the morning to prevent the withdrawal headache and that was it. I was able to lose 50lbs in 9 months just by getting rid of the soda and replacing it with water!
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I have lowered my coffee intake from 5-6 cups a day to 1 cup in the morning, first thing. I will not cut it out all together, I love it too much. By allowing myself that first cup I have found that I don't crave it anymore. When I tried to cut it out completely It was all I could think about. If I think about a second cup later in the day I will usually have some tea.
  • djbusch
    djbusch Posts: 1
    Options
    ReMan..I have been drinking coffee for many years...strong...all day long. I have recently begun a weight loss through nutrition program, doctor driven that includes a two week "detox" program. The very first thing to be eliminated from my diet was caffein, including soda's and energy drinks. The withdrawal was very tough and included headaches and muscle cramping that lasted 3-4 days. The benefit, however, is that my bloodpressure has significantly reduced and the weightloss has been notable.Your individual withdrawal symptoms will be determined by how much caffein you generally consume and how your body handles it.
  • Contrary03
    Contrary03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Hi REman!~ I gave up alot of things in the past year, but coffee will NOT be one of them, so can't help ya there:) I love your profile pic btw!!!
  • Erica9903
    Erica9903 Posts: 156
    Options
    I quit coffee and sodas cold turkey. For me it's the only way. However, on the rare occasion that I go out to eat If they don't sell bottled water I will have a coke or sprite but NO refills. Good luck to you!!!
  • knovello82
    knovello82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I was hooked on it for a few years, and on days I didn't drink coffee I got a hangover feeling. A few weeks ago I went on an antidepressent for depression, which is a stimulant. The first day I had coffee on it, my heart was raising and I felt sick. Needless to say, I had no problem stopping coffee. I started drinking green tea however to help with my appetite, and the caffein in that hasn't really been bothering me so I am gradually going back on it lol. I can't drink nearly as much coffee as I used to, though.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee as it makes me jittery, but I am not ever giving up tea for anyone, ever. Not happening. They will have to prise my last cup out of my cold dead hands.

Nothing wrong with a bit of caffeine anyway. The WHO recommend 4 cups of tea or 2 of coffee a day.