What exactly is "Lifting Heavy" ?

I have some physical restrictions (knee surgery and shoulder injury) that prevent me from doing strong lifts or other huge weight exercises. By no means do I use 5 lb weights, more like 20-60lbs because I want to retain muscle while I'm losing fat.

What do you consider "lifting heavy"?

Replies

• itsfatum
    itsfatum Posts: 113 Member
    Heavier than you are used to. Heavy enough that your muscles get to failure on each set, every single time.
    That's how I see it, no matter what weight I'm lifting.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    edited October 2014
    Heavy weights as in heavy for you.
  • Lennox497
    Lennox497 Posts: 242 Member
    What kind of lifts are you doing?

To me lifting heavy falls into the range that something that I can lift 3-6 times while still maintaining strict form.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Heavy enough that you can't do more than 5 reps, IIRC. It doesn't matter if it's 4lbs or 90000lbs.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Progressive loading, working with volumes of weight that are 50%+ your 1RM, etc.
  • edwardkim2000
    edwardkim2000 Posts: 9 Member
    I think its different per person but I always lift where I will fail on after my 10th rep on my first set (except for warmup sets). I usually go up about 5 lbs from there and fail on my 5th or 6th rep. Then I'll go up again 5 lbs and try to pump out 3 reps on final set. I believe the rule of thumb is, heavier + less reps = strength, lighter + more reps = size. For strength you should look into the SL 5x5 program. For size gains you should go lighter, longer.
  • little_simon
    little_simon Posts: 37 Member
    Lifting heavy is relative.

Heavy for a 135lb lifter will be light for a 225lb lifter.

The rep range doesn't have to be as low as 5 reps contrary to popular belief.

People advocate "heavy lifting" because of the popular gym myth that you need light weights for cutting and heavy weights for bulking.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Heavy enough that your muscles get to failure on each set, every single time.

This can lead to a certain burn-out for a lot of people over time, especially if someone doesn't take a break/deload every now and then.

I would define lifting heavy as lifting in rep ranges up to 12 reps per set and using a weight that you could do maybe two more reps with per set, in other words a weight that challenges you. Heavy lifting also generally involves an element of progressive overload. The weight will depend on the person and the exercise. (example: I've been lifting since July. As of end of September, when I tested my strength the last time, I could do glute bridges with 100 kg for 3 reps but overhead presses with only 5 kg (per side) for 3 reps—and I'm damn proud of both.)

Maybe you could talk to your doctor/physiotherapist and check which exercises would be ok for you to do? I have some congenital issues but I just avoid exercises that don't work for me. In order to get a full-body workout, it would probably be good, if possible, to have a squat variation, a deadlift variation and both push and pull variations for the upper body. I recently read Nia Shank's 'Intuitive Strength Training' and really like her approach.
  • WolnaDusza
    WolnaDusza Posts: 28 Member
    Thank YOU ALL for all of your input! Makes sense to me to reach failure on the last set. True, heavy for me might not be heavy for another person. Progressive loading...I will aim to challenge myself each workout.

LENNOX - I'm doing light bench presses 50lbs, heavier deadlifts (100lbs), non weighted squats (knee issue).

LIFTANDBALANCE - Thanks for the great input, I'll look into "Intuitive Strength Training' :D
  • dbmata
    WolnaDusza wrote: »
    non weighted squats (knee issue).
    Depending on what said knee issue is, I squat (weighted and unweighted) do box jumps, box step ups, and lunges to rehab my knee.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited October 2014
    itsfatum wrote: »
    Heavier than you are used to. Heavy enough that your muscles get to failure on each set, every single time.

that's not how this works.

Heavy lifting is a rep range- and is about progressive loading and or long term training for a bigger goal- rather than just endless reps for cardio- or muscle endurance.

Training to failure for EVER lift EVER workout is a recipe for failure and a high way called nogainz.

Guidelines on this - and I repeate GUIDE LINES
    0 reps = too heavy
    1 rep = one rep max/heavy
    1-5= heavy lifting
    5-10 = heavy - and often associated with higher volume training and often associated with hypertrophy.
    10-15 = muscle endurance
    15+ = body pump type classes see this type of loading and often is more about the cardio aspect than the strength aspect.

Either way- pick a goal.
    Then pick a path to the goal.

If the goal is simply to not lose muscle mass whilst losing weight anything 15 and under will get you there- so the whole 8-12 range is good- but not mandatory- if you want to power lift- have at it. There is not a single "RIGHT" or "WRONG" way to do it. But let it be goal driven.
  • dbmata
    unless you go FR.

Don't go FR unless you're ready to have Jesus ask to work in.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    itsfatum wrote: »
    Heavy enough that your muscles get to failure on each set, every single time.
    smh
  • JoRocka
    dbmata wrote: »
    unless you go FR.

You NEVER go FR. NEVER.
  • LiftAndBalance
    In addition to what JoRocka said, you should also keep in mind that lifting doesn't just rely on your muscles but also ligaments, soft tissue and nerves. Those take much longer to recover than muscles so always going to muscle failure is a recipe to disaster for those as well. I would assume that this could be even worse for someone with physical issues.

For squats, Bulgarian split squats might be another option.
  • LiftAndBalance
    JoRocka wrote: »
    unless you go FR.

You NEVER go FR. NEVER.

What's FR??
  • dbmata
    unless you go FR.

You NEVER go FR. NEVER.

What's FR??

Do a squat session where you're pushing your 80% for 10x5, supersetted with sets of 10 deadlifts at 60% and then 15 box jumps, then go do 300 reps of leg extensions at 80% to cool down.

That's FR.
  • JoRocka
    unless you go FR.

You NEVER go FR. NEVER.

What's FR??

Do a squat session where you're pushing your 80% for 10x5, supersetted with sets of 10 deadlifts at 60% and then 15 box jumps, then go do 300 reps of leg extensions at 80% to cool down.

That's FR.

and for those else who don't know- it's a reference to Tropic Thunder.

But yeah- super setting plus leg extensions definitely sounds like it qualifies. Eff that.
  • LiftAndBalance
    unless you go FR.

You NEVER go FR. NEVER.

What's FR??

That's FR.

and for those else who don't know- it's a reference to Tropic Thunder.

But yeah- super setting plus leg extensions definitely sounds like it qualifies. Eff that.

Holy crap :dizzy_face:
  • dbmata
    you definitely feel it. Little old dude with a walker offered to help me walk down the stairs from the gym, only two flights, but best I could muster was a step at a time. heh.