calories help please

Options
crystal479
crystal479 Posts: 59 Member
edited October 2014 in Getting Started
I am 180 pounds it says I need to only eat 1200 calories seems very low is that right

Replies

• sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    It could be "right" if you chose 'lose 2 pounds a week' and if you are short like I am.

Choose a smaller weekly loss and you will get a higher calorie amount. Another reason for low calorie allotment is the sedentary setting for activity level. Change your activity level to get a couple hundred more calories.

I weigh 180 and am eating about 1400. I am 5'2" and 64. I lose on 1400 calories. When I move more, I can eat more and still lose.

55835802.png
  • ankdworak
    ankdworak Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Actually 1200 is likely too low. You should be able to eat 1600-1700 as long as you are eating healthy. Feel free to add me, I'm happy to help in any way I can. ankdworak
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    Entirely depends on your height.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

^ This! Plus your age and activity level factor in too.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    RaspberryTickleChicken Posts: 629 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

^ This! Plus your age and activity level factor in too.

+1
  • Smitten823
    Smitten823 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Welcome :) Sodakat's post really hit the nail on the door - you can update the calorie intake based on your need / wants of weight loss. I agree that 1200 calories per day is very low. There are great forum posts about the 1200 calories - read thru them they are extremely helpful.

Also from personally going 1200 calories a day to reading / learning and increasing my calories to 1550 - I prevented my body from going into starvation. Please becareful with maintaining such low calorie diet.

I would recommend reading this thread - it really helped me out when i was starting on my jouney:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants#latest

Good luck on your journey!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Smitten823 wrote: »
    Hi!

Welcome :) Sodakat's post really hit the nail on the door - you can update the calorie intake based on your need / wants of weight loss. I agree that 1200 calories per day is very low. There are great forum posts about the 1200 calories - read thru them they are extremely helpful.

Also from personally going 1200 calories a day to reading / learning and increasing my calories to 1550 - I prevented my body from going into starvation. Please becareful with maintaining such low calorie diet.

I would recommend reading this thread - it really helped me out when i was starting on my jouney:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants#latest

Good luck on your journey!

Yep. That link is gold.