can anyone keep within the sugar goal on this thing?

Options
WhyW8
WhyW8 Posts: 54 Member
So, every day so far my sugar intake is way over what it is supposed to be. Does anyone else think its low on here? I'm not eating chocolate, I have even switched to artificial sweetener in my coffee. I like a half a bananna in my oatmeal, an apple for snack sometimes (or other fruit) and then combined with natural sugar in other things I look at the blaring red number at the end of the day and think...am I doing something wrong? Maybe other people think it's low on here. I always go over on fiber too, which I am not as concerned about and iron, which I have also previously been borderline anemic so I don't mind about that one either but just wanted some other opinions on the sugar matter. Maybe some suggestions how everyone else is keeping within the guideline. I am staring at this beautiful watermellon that I have yet to cut into because I wonder how that is going to tweak the numbers. Maybe I shouldn't worry...I mean its fruit, right? I'm not tearing into a Snickers or anything! Thanks!

Replies

• Babytoy22002
    Babytoy22002 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem... i love mangoes and strawberries and i'm always concerned; but i figure if it's natural sugar coming from fruit then i don' t care if i go over the limit. but when it's processed sugar i worry.
  • saliem
    saliem Posts: 7
    Options
    I've been wondering about this too. I've been averaging about 100g sugar daily. :(

I looked my diary for today and it looks like the sugar is coming from raisins granola and yogurt. NOT the strawberry wafers I had as a snack.

I think it's possible to keep within the sugar goal IF you stick exclusively to whole, unprocessed foods. This is something I'm going to shoot for next month.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't distinguish between good sugars from fruit and bad sugars from cake and soda. If your sugar is coming from fruit, don't worry about it! I hate seeing that red number too, but I know that my sugar came from an apple and fat-free yogurt.
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I personally stopped watching it, though that's not the best answer either.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I am always over and still losing. You know where your sugar is coming from, don't sweat the good sugars!
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Personally... I don't track my sugar anymore because I was finding that a piece of fruit would set me over. I don't eat sugary things other than fruit very often - no sugar in my coffee, few sweets (I usually have dark chocolate if I crave them), no sugary breakfast cereals, etc. So I just stopped worrying about it.

Whether that's the "best" way to go about things, I don't know. Lots of people would probably tell me I'm doing it all wrong. All I know is it won't be sustainable for me if I cut myself down to one piece of fruit a day because I'm afraid of going in the red on my sugar. :) Instead I'm tracking sodium, which has been a real eye-opener for me.
  • jenniferg423
    Options
    I just started looking at my sugar intake recently as well and i feel the same way. After my oatmeal and banana this morning I was almost at my goal for the day already...that doesn't seem quite right to me. It's like you said, it would be one thing if your eating lots of sweets, but going over because of eating things like fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, etc....seems like the limits are not realistic.
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    No. Absolutely not. Haha my sugars all come from dairy and fruit usually, when I'm logging my day I usually am already over by lunch time. -.-
  • kaytedawg05
    kaytedawg05 Posts: 209
    Options
    idk i always feel like if the sugar is coming from fruit, you should be ok for the most part. if you are eating bread, switch to low carb bread, maybe trade a fruit snack for a protein snack, esp after exercise. Try to put your protein in the red and reduce the carbs overall... fruit is great for you, but cutting back the overall carbs is a huge part of putting your body into fat burning mode... the reduction of blood sugar does AMAZING things for the metabolism. Eat your fruit in the early morning, especially apples because they are excellent metabolic boosters & great for your digestion.
  • beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    its hard to keep in it...some days i do and some i don't - but it has definitely made me aware of how much sugar we ingest. Fruit like berries and pears are high in fiber - so it offsets the fructose in them. But sugar from anywhere else? Guess what that turns into? That layer on top of ur abs......i have a lot of weight lifter and fitness contest friends...and their saying is "abs are made in the kitchen" and the sugar is what keeps people who work out from having that 6 pack.....sad but true
  • WhyW8
    WhyW8 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    thanks friends! maybe I will make a suggestion on the "how can we make MFP better?" blog. I don't think good sugars from friuts should be counted the same as baddies from junk food either. Cutting down on processed foods - thats a good one too. I'm going to eat some of my watermellon tomorrow! Can't wait! See you soon red number! :)
  • beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Just as an additional remark - some things that have helped - I have cut out bananas, yogurt (yes even nonfat) and flavored oatmeal. I get plain oatmeal and add my own sugar/cinnamon. If u put 1 packet of sugar or splenda - its 3 grams vs the in the flavored. Sucks but it does the trick....
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I try really hard to watch out for *REAL FOODS* that shouldn't really have sugar in them that do.
    The tomato sauce I was using had 9g per 1/2cup and that wasn't the worst of the brands.
    I'm trying to buy plain canned tomato sauce (1g) and doctor it up with spices, but yes I am lazy the best I've found in the prepared sauces is 3g

Prepared meals like lean cuisine often have tons (it varies by flavor though so be careful to read)
    I forgot to check and picked up a meal with 30g sugar once.
    (My favorite COOKIES have 9g for 15 cookies)

Flavored yogurts are also little sugar bombs, with between 22-29g of sugar (yogurt used to be an 8oz container now it's a 6oz container with a much smaller percent of yogurt to flavoring.

Also Nutrigrain breakfast bars and the like are promoted as healthy, but I counted, I think 11, different types of sugar in them

Yes, I have a sweet tooth and like a cookie now and again.
    No, I haven't been able to stay under my sugar even when I don't eat cookies.

I do try to avoid Sugar as a daily habit because it increases my appetite, by a lot.
    (that's why food manufacturer sneak it in so many foods, it's cheap and it keeps you coming back for more)

I just miss the days when real food was real and you could enjoy a cookie or a piece of cake without coming down with type 2 dieabetes.

End of rant
  • KristaPFT
    KristaPFT Posts: 63
    Options
    The limit that MFP is referring to is processed or added sugar like the kind in sweets. Its better to not have any processed/refined sugar at all but fruits/simple carbs in moderation are just fine. All carbs once digested are used as sugar in the body anyway. The difference is that complex carbs (from veggies and whole grains) are broken down slower in your body allowing you to feel fuller longer and use them for energy instead of storing them as fat. Also complex carbs are the only way you can get fiber which is crucial for digestive health and weight-loss. I wouldn't pay attention to the sugars on MFP unless you are eating processed/refined carbs & sweets (added sugar)
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Just as an additional remark - some things that have helped - I have cut out bananas, yogurt (yes even nonfat) and flavored oatmeal. I get plain oatmeal and add my own sugar/cinnamon. If u put 1 packet of sugar or splenda - its 3 grams vs the in the flavored. Sucks but it does the trick....
    [/quote

Great idea, buy plain oatmeal and adding your own sweetener at least you know what it is your are eating.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    its hard to keep in it...some days i do and some i don't - but it has definitely made me aware of how much sugar we ingest. Fruit like berries and pears are high in fiber - so it offsets the fructose in them. But sugar from anywhere else? Guess what that turns into? That layer on top of ur abs......i have a lot of weight lifter and fitness contest friends...and their saying is "abs are made in the kitchen" and the sugar is what keeps people who work out from having that 6 pack.....sad but true

I believe this as well. I VERY RECENTLY have been working HARD to keep my sugar under. How do you do it by eating a banana or an apple? You can't.

Sorry.

I read that after about 40 grams of fructose, your liver reaches it's threshold and will start converting that sugar to fat. Bummer, I know. I decided I would do my best to keep my TOTAL sugar (yup, fruits and natural sugars included too) at or below 35 grams this week. I haven't been perfect, but it's been close.

How am I doing it? Read your nutrition labels my friends. You pretty much want to eat foods that you think have NO sugars in them.

I have been enjoying some low glycemic fruits (strawberries, blueberries) in my smoothies. I stay far, far away from artificial sweeteners. My protein powder does use Stevia.

My goal is to achieve those flat abs. If I have to cut out sugar to do it... then so be it. That's a price I'm willing to pay.

Are bananas and apples good for you? Sure they are, we all know they have health benefits. But for me, the sugar is too high of a price to pay, even if it's all natural sugar. I will enjoy one every once in a while but I will have to get the fiber and vitamins from those tasty fruits in other foods. Vegetables are great! And they do make vitamin supplements...

Again, not telling anyone not to eat their fruit... just saying if you truly, truly want to keep your sugars down... you can. It takes a little work, but you can do it!

PS - Reading all of the NEGATIVE health effects of too much sugar really scared me into watching it very closely! (It damages the lining of your arteries and feeds canncer... just to name a few!) AND - it keeps me from that elusive six pack which I'm bound and determined to achieve some day!
  • KristaPFT
    KristaPFT Posts: 63
    Options
    I try really hard to watch out for *REAL FOODS* that shouldn't really have sugar in them that do.
    The tomato sauce I was using had 9g per 1/2cup and that wasn't the worst of the brands.
    I'm trying to buy plain canned tomato sauce (1g) and doctor it up with spices, but yes I am lazy the best I've found in the prepared sauces is 3g

Prepared meals like lean cuisine often have tons (it varies by flavor though so be careful to read)
    I forgot to check and picked up a meal with 30g sugar once.
    (My favorite COOKIES have 9g for 15 cookies)

Flavored yogurts are also little sugar bombs, with between 22-29g of sugar (yogurt used to be an 8oz container now it's a 6oz container with a much smaller percent of yogurt to flavoring.

Also Nutrigrain breakfast bars and the like are promoted as healthy, but I counted, I think 11, different types of sugar in them

Yes, I have a sweet tooth and like a cookie now and again.
    No, I haven't been able to stay under my sugar even when I don't eat cookies.

I do try to avoid Sugar as a daily habit because it increases my appetite, by a lot.
    (that's why food manufacturer sneak it in so many foods, it's cheap and it keeps you coming back for more)

I just miss the days when real food was real and you could enjoy a cookie or a piece of cake without coming down with type 2 dieabetes.

End of rant

Completely agree with you! Processed foods are packed with hidden sugar!
  • seren28
    seren28 Posts: 3
    Options
    I started my weight loss plan with Jorge Cruise and the Belly Fat Cure. He recommends staying at or less than 14 grams of sugar a day. I lost several inches from around my middle by doing this, and I only eat low sugar fruits and sparingly. I get plenty of vitamins, plenty of fiber and use sugar alcohols for sweetners such as Truvia. These are not made up of chemicals, and are slowly absorbed by the body. Any extra is removed from the body in urine. I was excited to join MFP and it has worked in handily with the other eating program. I normally stay within my 14 grams of sugar except on days when I decide to eat 8 large strawberries lol
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to stay below MFP's recommended sugar intake for the day. I don't avoid sugar - but I do try and avoid the processed sugars like corn syrup and the one I avoid at ALL costs is high fructose corn syrup. I've seen stuff and read stuff about it and won't ever put it in my body again (I have missed it as a listed ingredient once in awhile and you know what? I can always tell when I've had it...)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss plan with Jorge Cruise and the Belly Fat Cure. He recommends staying at or less than 14 grams of sugar a day. I lost several inches from around my middle by doing this, and I only eat low sugar fruits and sparingly. I get plenty of vitamins, plenty of fiber and use sugar alcohols for sweetners such as Truvia. These are not made up of chemicals, and are slowly absorbed by the body. Any extra is removed from the body in urine. I was excited to join MFP and it has worked in handily with the other eating program. I normally stay within my 14 grams of sugar except on days when I decide to eat 8 large strawberries lol

I can't have ANY sugar alcohols - they make me deathly ill. :( I'm better off with real sugar than that.