5'3" female -60lbs... Heavy lifting ~ Whole foods eating.

Options
dmgeurts
dmgeurts Posts: 23 Member
I am still a work in progress, but I have accomplished a lot by going slow and really making the effort to change one thing at a time. I've learned that this is not a race, and I have all the time in the world to make these changes, I have no time goals and no weight goals, I do have a vague size goal, but most importantly, I want to look fit and healthy when I get there.

When I first started this journey - I was on the low calorie, low fat, chronic cardio bandwagon - after all, it's how I'd lost weight so many times in the past. It wasn't long before I realized I was going to burn out - just as I had always done. The phrase: "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten," really comes into play here. More than anything, I wanted this time to be different.

More than anything - I wanted to make this work for me, I wanted it to fit with in my lifestyle and I wanted the changes I was making to work with me instead of against me. So, I stopped everything I was doing, and started reasearching... I researched food, excercise, heavy lifting... Everything. The first thing I gave up was my soda addiction... I replaced it with sparkling water and a lemon/lime squeezed in... and I just kept moving forward... Finding healthy (read: non-processed) foods to replace my old favorites, eventually giving up the ultimate in processed foods - sugar and grains - all grains... And moving into more of a Primal lifestyle.

Two books changed my life drastically...

New Rules of Lifting for Women... It taught me to eat to fuel my body and taught me how to change my eating habits from being an emotional eater to eating to sustain life and my body image goals. I have reread this book countless times - my copy is ragged, but whenever I feel I need to refocus - I pull this book out and read it again. Even if you never have any desire to lift heavy, it's still an excellent read. I also highly recommend the lifting routines - this is a great starting point for anyone looking to build muscle - after all, I think it's pretty common knowledge that lifting heavy does not make you bulky.

Also, Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson... Really anything by Mark - but PB really catapulted me into another realm of eating and caring for myself. I read his blog almost daily, and lurk in his forums... I have learned a lot. I firmly believe by ditching processed foods and following a more Primal way of life has changed not only my body, but my way of life and outlook on life. Countless people have told me I've turned back the clock and I look so much younger - I firmly believe that living Primally is a huge factor in this.

As I said above, I am not at my goal yet, but I have achieved so much - and I really wanted to share my story - in the hopes that it makes someone realize it's not just about "losing weight" there is so much more to it than that - it's about finding what works for you and your body, even if that means you are doing what no one else is doing. I've had countless people laugh at me for doing this in a non-conventional way, but I just keep moving forward. After all, this is my journey and no one elses.

Thank you for taking the time to read my story. :)

june2013toOct2014copy.jpg

Replies

• cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Great work. You're looking good!
  • Tiki1978
    Tiki1978 Posts: 364
    Options
    Wow! You look utterly amazing! Im currently reading New rules! first chapter and have seen Mark's website numerous times!

Really, great work!
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the successful lifestyle change and you look amazing.
  • kimd2090
    kimd2090 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I will have to check out Mark's website too!
  • PunkyMP
    PunkyMP Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! I needed a remotivation. I am the same height and started nrolfw in August, got derailed here and there between losing a loved one and a root canal torture week, but I'm still going. The visual results are slower and that is hard to swallow, but like you said, you have to work for yourself and not against yourself.
  • cahf
    cahf Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,300 Member
    Options
    You look so much smaller..nice work! I like how you found something you can live with forever. We all need to do that. You are so right..eating 1200 calories and working out like crazy only ends in a rebound.
  • yasmine334
    yasmine334 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    you look great :)
  • terrimaricle
    terrimaricle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I just purchased the book, The New Rules for Lifting and am looking forward to starting the program. You look incredible.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You look amazing, congrats! And I"m sure you feel amazing too. Thanks for the kick in the pants. I have done a few days of NRfL and then fell off the wagon (I kind of hate getting sore and not being able to run for a few days... but probably worth it.)
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    You look great! Congrats!
  • dmgeurts
    dmgeurts Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I love seeing all of your replies, it's very inspiring to me. :)

D~
  • krontar1
    krontar1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you look great! And super healthy and strong, too!
  • BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Great story and great progress--thanks for sharing!
  • jrhanna84
    jrhanna84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on all of your successes so far!
  • sweet_brownsugr
    sweet_brownsugr Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress so far! Keep going - you're motivating me. :)
  • rw4hawks
    rw4hawks Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Great job and thanks for sharing! I'm going to go home, find and start reading my copy of New Rules. Congrats to you!
  • wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    You look great! I like how you are doing it slow and not focusing too much on a number
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!