Those Dreaded Evening Hours

Options
So dinner's done, you're within your calories, you've exercised, you're feeling confident. The day's gone off without a hitch. You're sitting at the computer or watching some TV and that voice in your head says, "hmmm, maybe I'll have a little snack." But you know you really don't want to do that...what do you do? Do you fill in that time with something else? Do you eat something that stops that voice (cuz for me, I don't reach for the veggie tray, I want "sleepy carbs") I have about 3 hours in the evening that I simply don't know what to do with myself if that little voice starts talking.

Replies

• m2921
    m2921 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, but I always save 100-150 calories for a treat at about 9.30/10pm. I usually have a chocolate biscuit or Jaffa cake or something. It's probably not the healthiest of habits but it helps me to stay within my calorie goal as I'm happy not to eat after dinner until my treat at the end of the night!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i agree, save some cals for an evening snack.
  • AOdell79
    AOdell79 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I also save some calories. I like frozen yasso Greek yogurt bars. They taste like ice cream and are 80-100 calories. I have one every night! Sea salt caramel flavor is amazing!
  • tdhdee
    tdhdee Posts: 31 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    There's semi-carby snacks that I reach for in those times. I like the low carb Breyer's (carb smart) ice cream and I nurse that measuring cup! I also enjoy kettle corn light popcorn (Farmer's something or other is the brand name) for 150 calories per 2.5 cups! That's really my overall go to carb snack that I enjoy the most. I don't have stuff like that every day though. A few times per week usually. Other times I reach for the apple or another fruit serving. I also sip on chicken or beef broth. I get the kind that is thick and needs refrigerated after opening. It's expensive but it makes a hearty thick broth for zero calories for the tsp. I enjoy that in the colder months. The only problem with that is, I love ramon noodles and it makes me crave them!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I have calories set aside for the evening so have enough scope for dessert, fruit, chocolate, crisps,low cal snacks or whatever I want within moderation. Most of my calories seem to be slanted towards the evening.

The only thing I have been told is to check your evening nibbles is not you mistaking thirst for hunger.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I prelog every morning, so ALWAYS save some calories for the nighttime snack.
  • justalittlecrazy
    justalittlecrazy Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that logs her day starting with her evening calories from the night before. That way, she can scrimp on the calories during the day to make up for any problems the night before.
  • SpencersHeart
    SpencersHeart Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I usually save up some calories for an evening snack ... but if I don't have any, a cup of tea usually does the trick.
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have found I tend to want something sweet in the evening and one of my favorites is a cinnamon toast eggo waffle. I just toast it and eat it. I don't even want butter or syrup on it so that's not an issue. For me it's just the perfect amount of sweetness. My other favorite is Special K chocolately pretzel cereal bars. MMMM
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I don't see myself giving up my evening snacking habits any time soon so I save calories, or I do a 20 minute zumba Wii workout. I allocate 150-175 calories for evening snacking and typically choose things that aren't gone in a single bite- light cheddar popcorn or those chocolate covered banana slices.
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I always save about 200-300 calories for a snack that rounds out my macros haha. I often find I'm higher in carbs and that I need more protein/fat to meet my macros. I make an "egg pizza" - an organic egg, 8-9 grams of reduced fat mozzarella cheese, and sometimes 2-3 slices of turkey pepperoni or regular pepperoni if I needed more fat. I can pretend it's pizza and it's pretty filling for a little over a 100 calories.

-I eat dinner earlier at like 5:30 due to having a toddler, so I'm pretty hungry at like 8-8:30.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I save about 200 calories for a carb snack in the evening. I usually go for something whole grain, not too sweet, and that takes a long time to eat - 1/2 c. grape nuts are a frequent choice (eaten plain, no milk). Whole grain crackers or other cereals also work for me.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    P.S. Eaten last night WHILE watching The Walking Dead!
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Save calories for a snack.
    If I know there are chips in the house and I am going to want some, then I allocate calories for after dinner snacking. It doesnt even have to be much. You would be surprised at how good a miniscule 15g or 25g portion of plain ripple chips, eaten slowly and savoured can be. Pre-measure and make snacking last though or it can add up.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    I have calories set aside for the evening so have enough scope for dessert, fruit, chocolate, crisps,low cal snacks or whatever I want within moderation. Most of my calories seem to be slanted towards the evening.

The only thing I have been told is to check your evening nibbles is not you mistaking thirst for hunger.

Or boredom. Also, since you'll be going to bed soon, ask yourself, do you REALLY need calories right now? Am I truly hungry or is this just habit?
    Substituting low-calorie foods (many good suggestions given already) may work for some. For me, I believe changing the habit to something non-food is more beneficial. But, if you save some calories, then enjoy a snack!
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I get hungry at night if I eat dinner early. So now I either eat dinner later or log a snack for after dinner and before bed.
  • PeachBean
    PeachBean Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I tend to do this a lot, what I do is drink some tea and follow that with chugging water. If I'm still hungry I'll have some crackers or a fruit.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    This never happens to me any more. I make my dinner have as much volume as possible with the available macros that I have.
  • jac2lyn
    jac2lyn Posts: 90
    Options
    I save some calories and have a small glass of wine or green tea along with a little dark chocolate sometimes. This is perfect on a Friday night in or during the week while I watch TV. Note: Keep the dark chocolate out of site in the freezer.
  • ForeverCharlie
    ForeverCharlie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I hear the same voice, and every night for two months I have given in. I'm not even hungry. I'm fighting to put it in its place. Break away from it. Good luck!