Best time of day for carbs?

Options

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Well...all I was asking is if I'm going to have heavy carbs (bread, rice, etc.) if there was a optimal time of day to do that. But clearly that didn't work out to well.

You shouldn't feel bad for asking the question. No one is making fun of you. It's just crazy that magazines and websites perpetuate myths like this. It's not your fault.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Well not unless you plan on eating Steak for breakfast, you're not going to get rid of carbs during the day. Carbs are an anytime food. It doesn't matter what time of day you eat them. A calorie is a calorie regardless if it comes from carrots or cookies, protein, fat or carbs.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Well...all I was asking is if I'm going to have heavy carbs (bread, rice, etc.) if there was a optimal time of day to do that. But clearly that didn't work out to well.

You shouldn't feel bad for asking the question. No one is making fun of you. It's just crazy that magazines and websites perpetuate myths like this. It's not your fault.

My comment was not intended to ridicule you at all. Carbs are Calories and by definition; a Calorie is equal to 4.184 joules of energy regardless of whether it is a protein, carb, or fat.

HTH.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    The easiest answer is no, it doesn't matter what time you eat carbs.

Depending on your goals there is going to be a hierarchy of things that help them. At the top you have things like calorie intake, calorie expenditure, things that make all the difference. In the middle you have things that might help, and on the bottom you have things that either don't matter or matter so little they might as well not be worried about.

If you see where I'm going, the timing of your carbs falls in the "doesn't matter" area of the heirarchy.
  • TMM211073
    TMM211073 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Calories can't tell the time, so it doesn't matter....

xXx
  • AcademicusMaximus
    Options
    Eat whatever you want whenever you want. Even if it does make a difference what time of day you ate them, the difference is so minuscule that it's a moot point. If it mattered, then intermittent fasting wouldn't be a thing.

If you're trying to lose weight, you're burning everything off all day anyway if you're in a calorie deficit. That's what really matters for weight loss.

This is not entirely true. The reason to eat carbs at specific time is to control your insulin levels and when they are spiked. The reason to control insulin levels is maximize your body's insulin sensitivity and GH (growh hormone) levels. For example eating carbs late or anything (especially sugar) will spike insulin production. Insulin and growth hormone are antagonistic and don't coexist well. If you spike insulin before you sleep you will inhibit your GH levels and GH is ESSENTIAL for building muscle and burning fat. The more GH the better you can burn fat and build muscle which is why pro BB take it like its going out of style.

That being said, especially if your not concerned with building muscle, yes it is somewhat irrevelant as long as your in a calorie deficit you will lose fat. If however you are looking for every advatange eat carbs in the morning and post workout and avoid them late at night.

Insulin makes you gain weight now? :|

I highly doubt the OP is going the pro BB direction and asking if carb timing is a thing.
    Yes insulin is a fat storing hormone
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    you have to eat carbs before your intestines shut down at 9pm….otherwise you will erase your calorie deficit...
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want whenever you want. Even if it does make a difference what time of day you ate them, the difference is so minuscule that it's a moot point. If it mattered, then intermittent fasting wouldn't be a thing.

If you're trying to lose weight, you're burning everything off all day anyway if you're in a calorie deficit. That's what really matters for weight loss.

This is not entirely true. The reason to eat carbs at specific time is to control your insulin levels and when they are spiked. The reason to control insulin levels is maximize your body's insulin sensitivity and GH (growh hormone) levels. For example eating carbs late or anything (especially sugar) will spike insulin production. Insulin and growth hormone are antagonistic and don't coexist well. If you spike insulin before you sleep you will inhibit your GH levels and GH is ESSENTIAL for building muscle and burning fat. The more GH the better you can burn fat and build muscle which is why pro BB take it like its going out of style.

That being said, especially if your not concerned with building muscle, yes it is somewhat irrevelant as long as your in a calorie deficit you will lose fat. If however you are looking for every advatange eat carbs in the morning and post workout and avoid them late at night.

I highly doubt the OP is going the pro BB direction and asking if carb timing is a thing.

You clearly have no knowledge of nutrition or how the body works. So insulin stores fat, regardless of caloric intake? And you clearly have no idea that protein also spikes insulin. Strong 21st post though...
  • emmanuel4everjackson
    Options
    Hi-

I was wondering if there was a specific time of day that's good to eat carbs? I've read that you should eat them in the morning so that they burn off all day, and I've read that you should eat them after a workout too. I'm trying to do below 160g per day, but I tend to want them more in the morning.

23696455.png

You are on the right track! I am fully convinced that nutrient timing is VERY IMPORTANT for weight loss & a healthy lifestyle. P.S. The best advice I ever got & can give concerning nutrition is EAT LOTS OF NUTRIENT RICH VEGGIES.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Gee, and all this time I thought insulin existed to regulate blood sugar. Does it store fat when you're in a calorie deficit too? ;)
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Carbs are great day or night :D
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Hi-

I was wondering if there was a specific time of day that's good to eat carbs? I've read that you should eat them in the morning so that they burn off all day, and I've read that you should eat them after a workout too. I'm trying to do below 160g per day, but I tend to want them more in the morning.

23696455.png

You are on the right track! I am fully convinced that nutrient timing is VERY IMPORTANT for weight loss & a healthy lifestyle. P.S. The best advice I ever got & can give concerning nutrition is EAT LOTS OF NUTRIENT RICH VEGGIES.

what convinced you that nutrient timing is very important for weight loss?
  • Add713
    Add713 Posts: 53 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    TMM211073 wrote: »
    Calories can't tell the time, so it doesn't matter....

xXx

AMEN ^^^^^ Cake at bedtime...yummmmmm

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    post-workout
  • Vina4
    Vina4 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For me personally I follow what my PT has told me to do when it comes to my eating habits. I have also been losing weight from it too. He has me eating most of my carbs in the morning and at lunch. Afternoon I eat more veggies to help balance things. I try really hard not to have things like rice,oatmeal, bread etc during the afternoon and evening. But, that is just what works for me and my body.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    around training

/thread
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Many people find that eating carbs later in the day helps them sleep more soundly.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options

Gee, and all this time I thought insulin existed to regulate blood sugar. Does it store fat when you're in a calorie deficit too? ;)

You always have some insulin present. So I guess theoretically yes. It's just so much more complicated than that though.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Many people find that eating carbs later in the day helps them sleep more soundly.

I put them under my pillow and they sing me Spanish lullabies