Is a Cheat Day Okay?

Options
So, I've officially lost my first 15 pounds since I've started dieting and I want to celebrate!
So, is it okay to take a cheat day from my calories and splurge a bit today?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You can have a deficit over the week. But if you have a cheat day or meal, you should still log it. It's the only way to see if you have a deficit over the week. Also, keep in mind that the closer to a normal weight or leaner you get, the less room you have for error.

Having said this, I know those who have lower their intake Sunday through Friday, to have big meals on Saturday.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    So, I've officially lost my first 15 pounds since I've started dieting and I want to celebrate!

How do you define "ok"?

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    What do you mean? It's not against the law. If you want it, do it. If you find it throws you off and you don't like it, don't do it again.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What I mean by that previous reply is this:

Is someone going to jump out from behind the bushes and smack you in the jaw with a big dead fish and yell "BAD!"?

No.

Are you going to gain 15lbs tomorrow and undo all your progress?

No.

So whether or not it's OK really depends on what you mean by OK.

If your cheat day makes your OVERALL dieting experience better AND you are still able to make progress at a reasonable pace then I would think it's fine. But those are big ifs.
  • lillyrose2020
    lillyrose2020 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Well done on your 15 pound loss!
    I have the occassional cheat meal but I always log it, I stay within my calorie allowance though. For example if I am planning a big dinner eating out I will have a small breakfast and lunch so that it all fits in.
    Some people have cheat days/weekends where they do not log at all, but this would not work for me as I would risk falling off the wagon completely!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. I personally don't because I fit what I want to eat into my calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have the occassional cheat meal but I always log it, I stay within my calorie allowance though. For example if I am planning a big dinner eating out I will have a small breakfast and lunch so that it all fits in.
    Some people have cheat days/weekends where they do not log at all, but this would not work for me as I would risk falling off the wagon completely!

i dont do 'cheat meals', so can i ask in what way is it 'cheating' if you stay in your calorie goal?
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options

are you asking permission? we are not your parents, we cannot control what does or doesn't go into your mouth.

are you asking if one day of caloric splurge will cause you to stop losing weight? probably not, though it would depend on what you're splurging on and how far over. if your splurge consists of a bacon-pumpkin-cheesecake eating contest and you're defending your world record championship, then attempting to get your picture on the wall for eating the megamonsterZOMGhumungoid 16lb burger with the dump truck of fries on the side in under 27 minutes... then yeah, you might see a blip up in the morning.

as a general rule i don't condone cheat days simply because i can't afford to lose control over my diet. however, there can be exceptions to the rule, like once-in-a-lifetime events where you have the opportunity to try something new or that would otherwise be out of reach (hubby and i had our 10 year anniversary last weekend, and nothing was going to stop me from ordering the black truffle and fontina pizza appetizer). in my mind, food isn't a reward... it's necessary and should be enjoyed, and can accompany a celebration, but shouldn't be associated with an accomplishment.

instead of splurging on your calories, i'd splurge on a spa treatment like a massage or facial instead.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    occasionally as long as you don't go overboard and keep your weekly calories under

29509743.png
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like the words "cheat" day or week. If you track it, and it fits into your daily or weekly calorie counts, go for it. Even if it goes over your calorie counts, is it the end of the world? Not likely. You may just not have a loss this week.

I'm all for "everything in moderation". I don't give up any specific foods, I track and count everything. If I want to go to a restaurant and have a bigger meal to celebrate something, I do it. I just accept my calorie count will be over the norm, and then I move on.

You might also want to consider celebrating without food. Instead of splurging on food, why not buy yourself something that you've wanted but put off. A new shirt, a good book, music for your ipod?
  • Turning_Hopes_to_Habits
    Options
    I would recommend tracking it no matter what. Because a cheat day can be totally out of control and can easily blow two weeks worth of steady progress and you wouldn't even know it. Track it and you'll know how much you ate and how the day fits into your overall calories.

I only weigh once a month, and I go over on my calories a couple times a month. Sometimes on junk. But I track everything, and I also have days when I'm simply not hungry and don't feel like eating much, and because I track, I can make sure they balance each other out. If the pendulum starts swinging too far in the "over" or the "under" direction, I am on top of it and it helps me plan.

So, maybe don't call it a "cheat day". Instead, it's an indulgence day that you PLAN to go over, it's not an accident, it's not out of your control, it's a choice and you are prepared to compensate for the extra calories. Or, prepared to not lose as much or any at all. Either way, it's a choice.
  • JLCrunch
    JLCrunch Posts: 46 Member
    Options

are you asking permission? we are not your parents, we cannot control what does or doesn't go into your mouth.

are you asking if one day of caloric splurge will cause you to stop losing weight? probably not, though it would depend on what you're splurging on and how far over. if your splurge consists of a bacon-pumpkin-cheesecake eating contest and you're defending your world record championship, then attempting to get your picture on the wall for eating the megamonsterZOMGhumungoid 16lb burger with the dump truck of fries on the side in under 27 minutes... then yeah, you might see a blip up in the morning.

as a general rule i don't condone cheat days simply because i can't afford to lose control over my diet. however, there can be exceptions to the rule, like once-in-a-lifetime events where you have the opportunity to try something new or that would otherwise be out of reach (hubby and i had our 10 year anniversary last weekend, and nothing was going to stop me from ordering the black truffle and fontina pizza appetizer). in my mind, food isn't a reward... it's necessary and should be enjoyed, and can accompany a celebration, but shouldn't be associated with an accomplishment.

instead of splurging on your calories, i'd splurge on a spa treatment like a massage or facial instead.

Yes, this!
  • Elleposh119
    Elleposh119 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

:D my, my you're hilarious :) yes! You got it, this thread was obviously made for the purpose of getting "permission" from complete strangers, not to ask other fellow 'dieters' what their take on this (a cheat day) is.

For those of you who actually contributed to my question in your responses, I thank you :) for those of you who have nothing better to do than post some sort of keyboard smart a** warrior response- well thanks for the entertainment.
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days to celebrate weight loss, but I will undulge on a special occasion, such as my son's birthday earlier this month, or a wedding I'm going to in November. I still stay within my allowed calories, but enjoy the event by not stressing over what I'm eating. Those occasional higher calorie days haven't affected my weight loss at all. I also find that when I do consume a bit more than usual, I exercise a bit more to offset it.

Great job on losing 15 lbs.! I agree with whoever the previous posters were who said to reward yourself for your loss with something other than high calorie food. That kinda defeats the purpose.
  • lillyrose2020
    lillyrose2020 Posts: 178 Member
    Options

i dont do 'cheat meals', so can i ask in what way is it 'cheating' if you stay in your calorie goal?

Ooh by 'cheat' I just mean higher calorie meals, take-aways, junk food, eating out etc.
    If it isn't cheating by staying in my calorie goal that works for me!
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I personally do best when I stay disciplined. I tend to have an all or nothing mindset so if I tried to have a "cheat day" or a "cheat meal" I would most likely go overboard. I know this about myself so I don't do it. If there is something special I want I plan ahead and fit it into my calories...if not for the day then at least for the overall calories for the week to ensure I stay in a deficit. I try not to think of food as a reward either. Don't get me wrong I like food but I need to think of it as fuel and if it has the added bonus of great taste as well then great but non food rewards are better for me.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Nope cheat meals are never okay!

Really, do what you want. If you feel you deserve it and that is how you do things, than go for it! Personally I prefer to eat all the foods in moderation any given day.
  • bgoodsmile
    bgoodsmile Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just my take on this... Once in a while for a special occasion or vacation - I have a "cheat day." I even had a "cheat week" for my birthday last month. I went up 4 pounds after said week, and lost them the following week. Personally, it is unrealistic - for me - to live the rest of my life without having days, or weekends, or even - gasp - a week here & there where I indulge without constantly monitoring myself. The trick is to not beat myself up when I see the inevitable gain & to get right back on track. Good luck whatever you decide and kudos on the 15lb loss!!!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    I had my first 'cheat day' Saturday after losing 40 pounds. Wasn't worth it. After logging everything in I was kinda ashamed of myself. I did the math and realized that because of that one little cheat day I won't be showing a loss this week.