Is a Cheat Day Okay?

Options
2»

Replies

• AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    It's okay with me, if it's okay with you! Personally, Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels so I never have a cheat day. I eat whatever I want every day within my calorie limits so I don't feel the need to cheat.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Just make sure your SO is ok with it, and you both get checked afterwards...

wait, was that not what you meant? I'll just show myself out, then.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Make your "cheat meal" fit into your macros. Enjoy your meal and stay on path.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    So, I've officially lost my first 15 pounds since I've started dieting and I want to celebrate!
    So, is it okay to take a cheat day from my calories and splurge a bit today?

are you asking permission? we are not your parents, we cannot control what does or doesn't go into your mouth.

:D my, my you're hilarious :) yes! You got it, this thread was obviously made for the purpose of getting "permission" from complete strangers, not to ask other fellow 'dieters' what their take on this (a cheat day) is.

do you have any idea as to how many posts i've seen over the years that essentially ask "is it ok if i eat this?" every single time, it comes across as "mommy, may i?" or worse, people ask random internet strangers what they should eat at any given restaurant, and their tone is that of sheer panic at the thought of being presented with food they don't understand.

i get that some people need support in the form of pre-made decisions (pre-packaged foods with specific calorie counts, shakes, etc), but at the end of the day the only person who can answer "is it ok that i do this?" is you. we don't have to deal with the consequences, you do.

if you want a general poll as to their take on cheat days, then ask that. phrase it as "i'm considering having a calorie blow-out in celebration of losing 15lbs... do any of you ever have planned cheat days? what's your take on them?"
  • akaguna
    akaguna Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, YES you can have a cheat day. This is suppose to be a life change not a diet. I would make it one meal....like dinner and have a good time. Congrats on your success!!
  • 808Trish808
    808Trish808 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I do it and I don't regret it. I just move forward. I enjoy when I need to and I'm still on track.
  • 1Day2Day
    1Day2Day Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it a cheat day, but it's okay if you go outside your goal for a day. After eating so healthy you may find the splurge will be smaller than you expected. You may be satisfied with less of the 'cheat' food than you were before.

Denying often leads to binging.

Also look to find a treat that is non-food. Give yourself a break with something you enjoy doing. Maybe something less active if you've been pushing yourself.

Congratulations on your 15 lb loss!
  • 808Trish808
    808Trish808 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    1Day2Day wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it a cheat day, but it's okay if you go outside your goal for a day. After eating so healthy you may find the splurge will be smaller than you expected. You may be satisfied with less of the 'cheat' food than you were before.

This is true. Even when I do go and splurge, I do notice that I still don't eat a whole lot like I used to.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Everyone is different, but the idea of a reward is a red flag for folks like us who might struggle with obsessive overeating. It's not the calories from one day, it's the long term psychology. I advise caution.
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    normally, if i do have a day where i go bananas, i try not to surpass my deficit. for example, i currently eat at a 700 calorie deficit so i would try not to go beyond that.