Frustrated on NO Weight or Inches Lost

Options
I have been tracking mine for 30 days as well and have gained 8lbs and no reduction in measurements I average 1300 cals a day and meet my carb/protien & fats I eat healthy mostly all veggies and lean protiens. I exercise everyday and even changed my sitting desk to a stand up desk at work I am so frustrated what am I doing wrong I even had blood work done to make sure there was no thyroid issue. I am 5-10 and 229 lbs and 33yrs old I should be able to lose weight somewhere!!!! HELP

Replies

• LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Gained 8 pounds on 1300 calories a day, hmmm. Something is wrong here. You might want to make your diary open for best recommendations.
  • stepgeiger12
    stepgeiger12 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    How do I do that?
  • LeonCX
    Options
    How do I do that?
    on top of this page click settings, then click diary settings, go to bottom of that page and you can adjust there. :)
  • sadsb
    sadsb Posts: 13
    Options
    I feel just as stressed out as you..i workout like crazy and eat very little as well...and yet i too have managed to gain in a yr...it's sooo depressing. I am not giving up though...must never give up:)
  • sheribobby
    Options
    Also remember muscle weighs more than fat. Don't give up and keep lifting and doing your cardio. Drink plenty of water and add some lemon, lime and mint to it.
  • LeonCX
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Your diary looks good, dear. Although there are a few incomplete days. And you really didn't start logging until Oct. 13th. Please don't give up hope. An 8 pound gain seems crazy, do you have a good accurate scale? If so, that has to be water retention.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    LeonCX wrote: »
    An 8 pound gain seems crazy, do you have a good accurate scale? That has to be water retention.

This. Also, how certain are you of your start weight? Mine was all over the place initially, so you might have caught it on a weird day. Give it a few more weeks.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    sheribobby wrote: »
    Also remember muscle weighs more than fat.

1lb of muscle weighs the exact same as 1lb of fat. Can you clarify?

• rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options

If OP was able to put on 8 lbs of muscle in 30 days, she'd be the envy of the fitness world. More likely, OP is not measuring their food properly, or is going through some water weight fluctuations.
    LeonCX wrote: »
    An 8 pound gain seems crazy, do you have a good accurate scale? That has to be water retention.

I agree - likely a water weight issue, especially given OP is female (so her weight will vary considerably depending on her cycle).

OP, not only should you consider that your weight scale might be out of whack, but consider getting a food scale. Weighing your food can give you much better counts, and give you a better idea of portion sizes than "cups" or general "portions".

But most importantly: Keep at it. This isn't a sprint, it's a marathon, and your body is going to go through a lot of ups and downs. :)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary too, so many generic entries. If you are using other people's homemade this or generic that you honestly have no idea if it is good fit for your diary because you have no real idea what is in it. If you are not weighing everything get a food scale and start to do that, weigh in grams not ounces.

I eat awful, honestly I love fast food so don't take this wrong, but you say you eat healthy but there are a lot of entries of McDonald's and other foods that appear to be processed. Like I say I love them and fit them into my calories, but I wouldn't call McDees eating healthy. I've lost 58 lbs while fitting them in to my day so it can be done.

My best advice is the food scale and don't depend on so many homemade and generic entries. Oh one last thing, don't depend too much on the calories burns here, get a heart rate monitor. I'd be surprised if walking 20 mins is burning 200 calories, but I could be wrong.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Water weight. Be patient. :)
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    probably a case of portion distortion. check the nutrition info on everything you eat, and if it doesn't match one in the database make it yourself. weigh your food, count out your crackers, or if it fits your macros and you have no other choice just eat the whole damn package.
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I had gone through almost 3 weeks of not losing any weight. I was eating 1200 calories a day and burning 250 a day through exercise 5-6 days a week. I would gain a half a pound here and there and it would go away, but wasn't losing anything. The MFP people told me I wasn't eating enough and that I needed to be patient. They poured through my diary and saw I was eating properly and I knew I was measuring properly and wore an HRM for my workouts.

Long story short .. I wasn't eating enough. I started eating more and boom... started to lose weight again. If you know for certain you have been doing and weighing everything right .. could be you need more food.

Only thing now is .. I can't stop eating! The minute I gave myself the ok to eat more it has gotten progressively worse since then. I need to find a middle there.
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary too, so many generic entries. If you are using other people's homemade this or generic that you honestly have no idea if it is good fit for your diary because you have no real idea what is in it. If you are not weighing everything get a food scale and start to do that, weigh in grams not ounces.

I eat awful, honestly I love fast food so don't take this wrong, but you say you eat healthy but there are a lot of entries of McDonald's and other foods that appear to be processed. Like I say I love them and fit them into my calories, but I wouldn't call McDees eating healthy. I've lost 58 lbs while fitting them in to my day so it can be done.

My best advice is the food scale and don't depend on so many homemade and generic entries. Oh one last thing, don't depend too much on the calories burns here, get a heart rate monitor. I'd be surprised if walking 20 mins is burning 200 calories, but I could be wrong.

^ this right here. Start by getting a food scale, I love what someone else called it "portion distortion"
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Are you completely honest in your food log? You have to log every bite, lick and taste. Use a food scale, measuring cups and measuring spoons for everything you eat (the scale is the most accurate). Do not use generic and/or other's "homemade" items because you have no idea what makes up those entries and whether or not they are correct for your item. Log every meal, every day, good, bad or ugly, without excuses. If you do that for 30 days and still have not lost weight or inches, call your doctor and take your food diary to the appointment with you.
  • flightybird
    flightybird Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm going to echo the sentiments of a few previous posters. Get yourself a food scale, for sure. You can find them pretty cheap just about anywhere (I believe I got mine from Wal-Mart, actually) and measure and portion everything. It actually helps me to pre-portion things for the week on one of my days off. Then, I have no excuse for just grabbing "some."

Also, if you are preparing meals at home (or using recipes from a website, cookbook, etc.) use the recipe calculator and/or importer if the exact foods you're eating aren't available in the MFP listings. I've seen some entries vary HUGELY calorie-wise for the same-named food items, so it's important to log exactly what you're eating.

And, there, of course, is the possibility of water weight. Not to overshare, but there have been times I've stepped on the scale at certain points in the month and weighed 5 pounds more than the previous week thanks to ladybusiness. Try to drink a lot of water to stay hydrated so your body doesn't hold onto it, and be mindful of your sodium intake.

Whatever you do though, don't give up! Just keep at it! I've made the mistake way too many times of getting frustrating and giving up, and if I would have just kept at it, I would have been at my goal weight already (YEARS ago, actually!)
  • StephTheVeggieKiller
    Options
    If you are logging your weight training and cardio, be careful that you are accurately logging the numbers. I remember I went through the same thing and it turns out that the type of elliptical I used overestimated the amount of calories that I was burning.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options

1lb of muscle weighs the exact same as 1lb of fat. Can you clarify?

My favorite post of the day. This one had me laughing.