oatmeal what kind is best?

Options
while shopping today I noticed there is grain in some oatmeals.
Never paid attention before. I got oatmeal with no grain would that be
the right choice?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I think Coach's Oatmeal is very yummy!!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    oatmeal is a grain
  • hollycarpenter524
    Options
    instant oatmeal is no good for you...it is very high in glycemic index...and instant oatmeal is a pointless grain, its flattened and thinned out so much that it literally has no nutritional value left...make sure you get plain rolled oats (Quakers is good) and then add natural flavoring to it. Just went over this is my weight loss class and I had no idea that oatmeal was only good if it was a whole oat and rolled not instant. so new for me to.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I like the one with dinosaur eggs in it
  • girlviernes
    Options
    stone ground is also good.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I grabbed Trader Joe's steel cut oats. About the same price as Quaker, and tastes worlds better.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

so does my daughter. We have a box on top of the fridge! I get the plain old fashioned oats and usually put berries/fruit in it with a packet of equal and some cinnamon.

You should seriously try the dinosaur eggs yourself. It will change your outlook on the day.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

That must be the grainless one...
  • Ethereal_Whisper
    Ethereal_Whisper Posts: 70 Member
    Options

i used to get that as a kid. If i can ever find it again that will be my breakfast every day!!

as of right now i just get rolled oats(kroger or great value brand) and put whatever i like in it. Mashed banana and dark chocolate chips are great in it.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »

That must be the grainless one...

hehe
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    The one with the highest bran (fibre) content.
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The one with the highest bran (fibre) content.

Sorry for double post - gorilla fingers strike again.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Steel cut oats are best tasting and best for you because they are the whole grote.
    They take nearly an hour to cook so this is what I do...
    1 Cup of steel cut oats in a small crockpot
    3 Cups of apple cider
    1/4 C toasted walnuts (or your favorite nuts) optional
    1/4 C dried fruit like raisins (Optional)
    No sweetener needed because of the cider.
    Turn on the crockpot to low just as you go to bed. The oats will be ready to eat right out of the crockpot the next morning and you will have enough leftover to microwave for several mornings after.

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

so does my daughter. We have a box on top of the fridge! I get the plain old fashioned oats and usually put berries/fruit in it with a packet of equal and some cinnamon.

You should seriously try the dinosaur eggs yourself. It will change your outlook on the day.

lol...too processed for me.

Lord...
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

i used to get that as a kid. If i can ever find it again that will be my breakfast every day!!

as of right now i just get rolled oats(kroger or great value brand) and put whatever i like in it. Mashed banana and dark chocolate chips are great in it.

I'd do that if I could buy dinosaur eggs separately
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Oatmeal is made of oats. Oats are a grain.

Regarding what kind, that's purely a matter of choice. I love Nature's Path Optimum Power oatmeal, particularly the blueberry cinnamon flax. The flax gives it extra omega 3 and it's quite delicious. I've found that you can "grow" the bowl by continuing to put it in the microwave with a little more water. I've gotten it to soak up almost a cup of water, making the bowl huge. Even though it's just extra water, growing the oatmeal makes it much more emotionally satisfying, as it looks like a really giant serving. Plus, it's just delicious.

I also love the plain Flax Plus flavor mixed with a half scoop of protein powder.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    instant oatmeal is no good for you...it is very high in glycemic index...and instant oatmeal is a pointless grain, its flattened and thinned out so much that it literally has no nutritional value left...make sure you get plain rolled oats (Quakers is good) and then add natural flavoring to it. Just went over this is my weight loss class and I had no idea that oatmeal was only good if it was a whole oat and rolled not instant. so new for me to.

Glycemic index is rarely useful.

http://www.gnolls.org/1029/fat-and-glycemic-index-the-myth-of-complex-carbohydrates/

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/4/988.abstract

No comment on grain-free oatmeal.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    My oatmeal has plenty of nutritional value. Besides the Omega 3 already mentioned, it has 3 g fiber and 5 g protein. It also has iron and calcium. When compared to steel cut or rolled oats, I'm seeing a little more fiber and iron, but that's about it. What is this major difference you're referring to?