How often do you weigh in/take your measurements?

hey,

Pretty much as it says in the title...

How often do you weigh in?
I try and weigh in everyday as motivation to either keep up the good work or work a bit harder that day to either maintain/lose rather than gain...however it can be so demotivating when you've gained (even though I know weigh fluctuates all the time so doesnt actually mean I've gained fat).

Also how often do you take measurements such as waist/hips/chest/thighs?
I find that my stomach bloats no matter what I eat or drink and days after a 'naughty' day I find my thighs a little bigger too....anyone else notice things like this?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    weigh daily, measure weekly.
  • nessab70
    nessab70 Posts: 47 Member
    weigh daily log weight on thursdays and measure once a week
  • i weigh daily but FOR ME I don't think this is healthy. I am trying to cut back and weigh myself every few days. I can fluctuate over night with my weight which can cuz me undue stress.
  • I use to weigh myself everyday before but it could get a bit depressing and demotivating not seeing those lbs go down after putting in so much effort. Losing weight takes time. Best to weigh in at the end of the week!
  • rdkstar
    rdkstar Posts: 260 Member
    Weigh daily and measuremeets monthly
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Weigh daily, measurements...well, I kind of keep forgetting about them, so it's been about ten weeks. And the tape is in the bathroom, so it's only my fault.
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Once a week, same time, same place, same-ish clothes...
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    I weight once a week, first thing Saturday mornings and I don't take measurements
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    I weigh in a few times a week just to check I'm staying at the same weight. I did weigh in every day for a while but as others have said fluctuations are a bit hard to handle at times. I haven't took my measurements in a few months, I know by how my clothes fit that I'm maintaining nicely :)
  • kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    I weigh daily, but I don't regularly take measurements. I really need to start that, at least monthly.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Weigh and measure weekly.
  • mom2mcjc
    mom2mcjc Posts: 89 Member
    edited October 2014
    I've been trying to weigh in a couple times a week, but even though I'm getting smaller, the weight has been pretty much at a standstill. Really, that's OK by me, because as long as my behaviors are on track, I know that stupid scale is just...stupid. :#

Measurements about once a month are a good idea. Any more frequently would be frustrating.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Every Monday at first light.
  • I usually weigh every two weeks and measure once a month.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    once a week- same scenario every time. right after morning duties, no clothes, same scale, same place, approximate same time. Weight can fluctuate so drastically throughout the week that if I weighed daily I would go insane. I have yet to measure, but I definitely should!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Generally infrequently. I've been at this long enough that I know what my body is doing based on how I'm eating and my type/duration of exercise. I don't need a scale or a tape measure to tell me that.
  • betty_2010
    betty_2010 Posts: 44 Member
    weight in every week - measurments every 4 weeks
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Weigh daily. I like it better that way. A spike really pushes me to try harder and is a motivator. Measurements are taken monthly or every two weeks.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    As you see in the responses, what works best really varies from person to person.

I weigh daily. I've been doing this for a year and a half, and in the past month I've had a couple of weeks where I got out of the habit for various reasons (vacation, replacing batteries in my scale) and I really think it's beneficial for me to keep up the DAILY weigh ins. In fact, I plan to do that for the rest of my life. I don't flip out when it's up a bit from sodium or exercise, but I notice that when I skip a couple of days I get more anxious about it and also tend to overeat thinking "oh I won't weigh for a couple of days"...bad habits for me to resume, so I plan NOT to do that anymore.

As for measuring, though...maybe once a month. Sometimes less. I tend to see a very slow downward trend in my measurements so it's more "exciting" for me to wait 6-8 weeks and be able to log 1/2 inch off my waist or something, instead of barely seeing a difference. I think this is especially true for me because I had such large changes in the beginning, due to having so much to lose.
  • JessaLee0324
    JessaLee0324 Posts: 118 Member
    I log my weight once a week, on Wednesdays. Between Wednesdays, I randomly hop on the scale. But I try to stay off of it as much as possible. It can have such a depressing affect on me :(
  • Ishii19
    Ishii19 Posts: 109 Member
    I weigh every day and put it in this app "happy scale" - it trends weights so can help keep fluctuations in perspective while giving me daily feedback which I really like. Every Thursday I take the app's predicted weight and put in MFP..... Measurements - every few months I guess, not so regular. I also have a bikini I try on every two or three weeks for a visual progress log. :)
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Weigh bi-weekly, measure never.

Just going off how I look, rather than how much I weigh or how thin my body parts are.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    I weigh daily, but I try not concern myself with daily weights much. I average my daily weights by week and then use the weekly average as my guide as to what's actually going on. I have a Google Docs spreadsheet set up to record daily weights and then show me average weekly weight and a trend graph of the weekly average. I get up, hit the restroom, then weigh myself and log the value into my spreadsheet via my phone.

I measure sporadically. I need to get better about doing that on some sort of schedule.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Weigh weekly. Measure monthly.
  • Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    I weigh every 5+ weeks to not get too obsessed. I measure more often, maybe every few weeks, especially if I'm feeling concerned. It's a good headcheck - and as someone who lifts, I feel it's more accurate of if I'm doing good or bad because weight increase is most likely muscle if my measurements are the same.
  • Kimmer03
    Kimmer03 Posts: 48 Member
    I weigh in weekly sometimes bi-weekly. I used to be a 'slave to the scale' and battled ED in college so now I just weigh myself on occasion rather than daily. I measure monthly. I like measurements more than the scale, anyways. I like being able to see the numbers decrease as I go down a size or two in clothing, too. But I try not to get too tied up in numbers. :)
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    I weigh in when it feels like I've changed - I can sort of tell when I've lost or gained. Measurements once a month.
  • KaitJennifer
    KaitJennifer Posts: 19 Member
    I would like to only weigh weekly...but I work hard and am usually excited to see the number on the scale, so I can't help but to weigh daily. And this way if I have a bad day I can be right on top of the fluctuations with the numbers as well and nip it in the bud before it climbs higher.
  • jenny3008
    jenny3008 Posts: 97 Member
    I weigh daily, its taken me a long time not to get too wound up by the numbers though but I've found that I fluctuate a lot. For example yesterday I weighed 78.9kg, I did a gym session which I'm paying for in DOMs today and this morning I weigh 80.4kg. Now I ate very little yesterday as I'm not feeling great so there is no way its a real weight gain but if I hadn't weighed yesterday morning I would have missed the 'low' weight and felt down today.
    I measure about 4-6 weeks
  • bradsbaby1996
    bradsbaby1996 Posts: 154 Member
    For 13 months I weighed every single day.... measurements at least every 2 weeks or so.. Then Friday I came to Texas to visit my hubby for a week and purposely left my scales and measuring tape at home!! It's still a long time until Saturday morning!!