Please teach me, how you became a clean and healthy eater...

Questions for all of you who have made it over the hump to living a clean and healthy lifestyle. How did you do it? Really, how did you go from Fat and unhealthy to Fit and healthy. Regardless if you lost 100 pounds , 50 pounds or 30 pounds you realized you needed to change your current situation, your current eating habits and you did it!!! Congratulations!!!! Now teach me HOW?? Teach me your success...

How does one go from eating unhealthy foods like burgers, fries, pizza, pasta, creamy salad dressings, deep fried crap to eating clean foods like chicken breast, quinoa, whole wheat pasta, brown rice every day (I want to be one of these people).

How did you finally say.. Enough is Enough!

How did you change all your unhealthy eating habits to your current healthy eating?

How did you stay on course in the beginning of your journey to make sure you wouldn't fall off course?

What helped you the most in the beginning of journey?

Teach me please!!! I'm here to learn from your success…

Thanks Dianna

Replies

• ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    edited October 2014
    So that's a really, really tough question, but I totally understand why you're asking. For me.... and those are very important words as it's different for everyone.... but for me it all boiled down to never telling myself that I couldn't have a particular food. That kind of restriction just felt too much like a diet. I still ate (and eat) pizza, the occasional burger, etc but when I do I make sure it's within my daily, or sometimes weekly, calorie allowance. When I approach it that way, I know that I CAN have pizza on a Friday night with my family if I want to. I'll just eat 2 slices instead of 5. But the fact that I've given myself the OK to eat those foods in a reasonable manner has made all the difference. It also sometimes prompts me to not eat foods like that when I really am not dying for them - because I know I can but I CHOOSE not to. It's a very important distinction for me.....
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    You don't need to cut anything out of your diet to lose weight, all you need is a calorie deficit. If you ask five people what eating "clean" means to them you'll get five different answers. Eat what you want and add treats in moderation so you aren't tempted to fall off the wagon.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Questions for all of you who have made it over the hump to living a clean and healthy lifestyle. How did you do it? Really, how did you go from Fat and unhealthy to Fit and healthy. Regardless if you lost 100 pounds , 50 pounds or 30 pounds you realized you needed to change your current situation, your current eating habits and you did it!!! Congratulations!!!! Now teach me HOW?? Teach me your success...

How does one go from eating unhealthy foods like burgers, fries, pizza, pasta, creamy salad dressings, deep fried crap to eating clean foods like chicken breast, quinoa, whole wheat pasta, brown rice every day (I want to be one of these people).

How did you change all your unhealthy eating habits to your current healthy eating?

How did you stay on course in the beginning of your journey to make sure you wouldn't fall off course?

Thanks Dianna

We didn't stop.

We learned what moderation is, how much is an actual serving, logging the calories, and managing to find room in our caloric intake for the foods we love.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Clean eating is eating nutrient dense foods. How did I change my habits. Eating the fruits, veggies, and protein that I like.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    I still eat what you wrote as "unhealthy", I haven't stopped. I make my own burgers and fries, Chinese food, fried foods, go out for pizza, etc... I just eat less of it to make these foods fit into my daily calories.
  • Scarecrowsama
    Scarecrowsama Posts: 85 Member

I don't pretend to be mean but whole wheat pasta is not a healthy choice, not any whole grain, regardless of what the mainstream media says.

Anyway, we are all humans, and any person that you can see selling you a diet or a program has to be honest with you, there is not perfection in this and there are setbacks.

You have two option, that will depend of how heavy-metal-hardcore you are, if you think that you have enough willpower to cut everything out and start from the scratch, go ahead.

If you are more like the average person, take it slowly, the most offensive groups off food that make people struggle are refined carbs, dairy and grains. Start eliminating once thing at a time, give one month to every group of food and then move towards another one.

Do not kill yourself if one day you make a mistake, it happens to all of us, just relax and say, ok, today I couldn't control eating that pizza, that is all. When you go from, let's say 2 pizzas a week to 2 pizzas a month that is a huge improvement. At some point you will manage to not eat any pizza at all or eating a healthier version of a pizza.

Thanks Dianna

You usually said that is enough when your health is compromised somehow, but you cant go crazy unless you are in serious risk.

The beginning is the hardest thing, that is why I say take once thing at a time.

I changed this way, and you don't need to be fat to be unhealthy, skinny is almost as bad as fat.

The key things here are to have a proper mindset, which means allow yourself to fail, and then research, but please do not use any mainstream to make decisions, the relevant things take time. Finding a proper diet that fits your needs might take years.

Start eliminating the offending foods and make your way towards better eating. The 80/20 rule can help too.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    I eat everything I always have, only in moderation. Caloric deficit = weight loss.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    I always think of it this way. I'm not cutting out the foods I love, I'm adding in new foods and learning how to prepare them in a way that I love, too. So, now I can choose from everything. Somedays, all I want is grilled chicken and a spinach salad. Other days, I want pizza. The beauty of IIFYM is that I can have both if I plan accordingly.
  • mangogirl272727
    mangogirl272727 Posts: 95 Member
    First off explore the world of healthy food. Try new fruits that you've never tried before. Buy your produce ripe, luscious and in season. Go to a farmers market; not only will the food taste better, but you'll be more connected with it and excited to eat that produce. Try roasting your veggies (just 400 degrees with salt, pepper, and olive oil). Experiment with new recipes for chicken breast or tofu. Spice up that oatmeal with toasted almonds, fresh sliced pears, dried cranberries, cinnamon, peanut butter, bananas...the sky's the limit! Soon you will learn that healthy food does not have to be boring. You will begin to crave these foods and they will naturally make up the bulk of your diet.

Let the bulk of your diet be made up of nutritious foods and fill in the gaps with a few treats. Life is short and deprivation leads to falling off the wagon. It's not like you can never have a cupcake or a burger again. Just be sure these treats fall within your daily or weekly calorie allowance goals and that the bulk of your diet is still made up of nutritious foods. It's about learning moderation and beginning to see these things as every once in a while treats rather than every day staples. And once you fall in love with healthy food, fresh juicy berries and toasted coconut over vanilla greek yogurt may start to sound just as appealing or more appealing than the cupcake. Stick with it and you'll surprise yourself.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    I find that a restrictive mentality does not work for me, so I will work something I want into my day. I also spend more time cooking, and finding alternatives. I love a good hamburger, but there's ways to make it at home so it's "better" than what I was eating before.

For me it's been about finding the balance of what works. I stay in my goals, and I'm learning what things are worth spending calories on and what aren't. Little steps at a time.
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member

I don't pretend to be mean but whole wheat pasta is not a healthy choice, not any whole grain, regardless of what the mainstream media says.

Anyway, we are all humans, and any person that you can see selling you a diet or a program has to be honest with you, there is not perfection in this and there are setbacks.

You have two option, that will depend of how heavy-metal-hardcore you are, if you think that you have enough willpower to cut everything out and start from the scratch, go ahead.

If you are more like the average person, take it slowly, the most offensive groups off food that make people struggle are refined carbs, dairy and grains. Start eliminating once thing at a time, give one month to every group of food and then move towards another one.

Do not kill yourself if one day you make a mistake, it happens to all of us, just relax and say, ok, today I couldn't control eating that pizza, that is all. When you go from, let's say 2 pizzas a week to 2 pizzas a month that is a huge improvement. At some point you will manage to not eat any pizza at all or eating a healthier version of a pizza.

Thanks Dianna

You usually said that is enough when your health is compromised somehow, but you cant go crazy unless you are in serious risk.

The beginning is the hardest thing, that is why I say take once thing at a time.

I changed this way, and you don't need to be fat to be unhealthy, skinny is almost as bad as fat.

The key things here are to have a proper mindset, which means allow yourself to fail, and then research, but please do not use any mainstream to make decisions, the relevant things take time. Finding a proper diet that fits your needs might take years.

Start eliminating the offending foods and make your way towards better eating. The 80/20 rule can help too.

Whole wheat or grains are not bad for everyone expect if you are gluten intolerant/ have celiac disease. You don't need to cut out any food group to eat clean! Moderation is the key. As you yourself said 80/20. Eat healthy nutitritious food for 80% of times and you can eat 20% of other crap(as long as the cals in in deficit)

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Wash your produce before you eat it, don't eat food after it's fallen on the floor.
  • CJsf1t
    Wash your produce before you eat it, don't eat food after it's fallen on the floor.

Sarcasm? LOL!
  • Scarecrowsama
    The thing about whole grains is that they do not really make much of a difference in blood sugar spikes and amount of carbs, we can talk about gluten, various proteins, anti-nutrients and a lot of "bad things" that grains have, but my whole point was about the amount of sugar that you will consume and how it will affect your blood levels, insulin response, therefore fat gain.

Moderation is key for some things, but not for everything, whenever your insulin is high you don't burn fat, insulin levels need about 4 hours to go back to normal, therefore eating any amount of quick carbs before that will just keep you in a high insulin state and fat.

I don't like the 80/20 for food, I try to go 90/10 most of the times, but that 10/20 of "bad" food is tricky, is not the same to eat a coconut flour cupcake that you make than a cupcake bought at any supermarket, you know what I mean.
  • CJsf1t
    The thing about whole grains is that they do not really make much of a difference in blood sugar spikes and amount of carbs, we can talk about gluten, various proteins, anti-nutrients and a lot of "bad things" that grains have, but my whole point was about the amount of sugar that you will consume and how it will affect your blood levels, insulin response, therefore fat gain.

Moderation is key for some things, but not for everything, whenever your insulin is high you don't burn fat, insulin levels need about 4 hours to go back to normal, therefore eating any amount of quick carbs before that will just keep you in a high insulin state and fat.

I don't like the 80/20 for food, I try to go 90/10 most of the times, but that 10/20 of "bad" food is tricky, is not the same to eat a coconut flour cupcake that you make than a cupcake bought at any supermarket, you know what I mean.

I think your logic is wrong. Whole grains wont cause you any trouble unless you are diabetic/ pre-diabetic/have celiac disease . I think assuming that OP has no such problems she can eat 'clean' without having to cut out grains or carbs
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    OP, I'm not going to be much help, as I still eat all of those things, including grains.
  • Scarecrowsama
    I do not use any logic there, I just mention facts, she is talking about weight loss, and whole grains do not help for that matter, because we talk about amounts of sugar and insulin response.

If you are healthy and have a normal weight it is your business whether or not to consume whole grains, they are often processed as well and they have more discussion but is less dangerous compared to a person who wants to loose weight.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    I do not use any logic there, I just mention facts, she is talking about weight loss, and whole grains do not help for that matter, because we talk about amounts of sugar and insulin response.

If you are healthy and have a normal weight it is your business whether or not to consume whole grains, they are often processed as well and they have more discussion but is less dangerous compared to a person who wants to loose weight.

I've lost 40 lbs. Been eating grains the entire time. Please explain how this is possible.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member

Do you have any peer-reviewed studies to let us see these facts?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member

Which is what?
    All the Blue Zones eat grains and have the most centenarians.