Spaghetti Squash Tips Anyone?

Options
AnIrishLibra
AnIrishLibra Posts: 54 Member
edited October 2014 in Recipes
So last night I made spaghetti squash for the first time in the oven. (An hour, facedown at 350 degrees) I added a tiny amount of garlic and parmesan cheese to it, but I don't think it was enough. I'm on the fence if I liked it. I'm sure I would have it I added more garlic and parmesan to it, it would have been better. But the thing I didn't like most, was that it was quite watery. Instead of it looking like spaghetti, it came out more like mashed potatoes.

Does anyone have a tip to make it less watery? Or any other tips for it's consistency?

I'm thinking it would be good with chili as well, if not for the wateriness.

Replies

• lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I like mine slightly under cooked so the strands almost have a slight crunch to them vs over cooked where they become mush. I found microwave cooking actually yeilds better results than the oven and its a lot quicker. Make sure to check the squash periodically to avoid over cooking.
    As far as being watery you could try salting the strands and letting them sit in a collander to draw out extra moisture. I haven't done this with spag squash but I've done it w/ zucchini noodles and it works well. I throw them in a collander, salt them and then let them sit for up to 30mins, then rinse off the salt and squeeze out excess water from rinsing.
    Good luck!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I cook mine in a casserole dish face up with about an eighth inch of water and covered in foil. I bake it at about 400* for 30-45 minutes depending on the size of the squash. You want to check it fairly regularly near the end as if it cooks too long you'll end up with the mash potato effect. I know it's ready when I press a fork in and there's still a bit of firmness but it shreds easily. I tip the water out when I pull it out of the oven. Again, there's a fine line 5 minutes too long it's all funky. I also don't put anything on mine until it's out of the oven...

ETA: Make sure you seed it REALLY well before you cook it!!
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in the microwave. So much easier and shorter time! I cut in half (nuke for a few seconds to soften if necessary), put each half in a bowl with a little water, and nuke each side maybe 12-20 minutes, depending on how big it is.
  • landay
    landay Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I LOVE spaghetti squash!!! If it was the consistency of mashed potatoes, then you cooked it too long. Try backing it up to 45 minutes next time. It's done when you can easily shred it away from the skin with a fork.

Having a firmer texture might help with it being watery as well. You could drain it if it were more firm and not the texture of mashed potatoes.

I love my spaghetti squash with just butter added, so I don't really have other recommendations for what to add to it.
  • setaylor86080
    setaylor86080 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hey cook it face up on about 375 for 45min to an hour. I love spaghetti squash!! I have been on a kick with it. I have made spaghetti squash mac and cheese, lasagna(meat and not meat), chicken boat and Alfredo. All is amazing and not bad for you lol. Go look on skinnymom.com or snackgirl.com for some yummy recipes.
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it was just overcooked. I love spaghetti squash. You can throw all kinds of stuff on top. Our quick go to is a sauce of a couple of cans of petite diced tomatoes, mushrooms, black olives, and fresh or minced garlic. Add other seasonings as you like. A few minutes before its done throw in some shrimp and then some crumbled feta. Super fast and easy.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I think microwaving works well, like some others mentioned. I like mine with a marinara sauce.
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash. I make it in the microwave. Wash, cut in half, place in a container with about 1/4" of water, for an average size one I cook it on high for approx. 12 min. I do check it towards the end and if a fork goes into the squash with med force I take it out turn one right side up and check the consistency. I like mine a little crunchy. Last night I scraped the sides, leaving the "noodles" in the shell added some organic pasta sauce, garlic salt and provolone/mozzarella cheese on the top, put it in the oven on 350 for approx. 10 min, then turned the over up to broiled to brown the cheese. It was the best!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yeah, cook for a shorter time and it should come out in nice crisp strands. I treat it like full spaghetti and serve it with meat balls and spaghetti sauce. No complaints from my meat-and-potatoes husband, nom nom.
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You neeeeeed to try this recipe! I had never even tried Spaghetti Squash before and I thought it sounded gross, but this was heavenly!
    http://paleomg.com/almost-5-ingredient-pizza-spaghetti-pie/
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Like others said, it sounds like it was a little overdone. I love squash, but overcooked spaghetti squash is straight up nasty. A recipe that got good reviews in my house: skinnytaste.com/2013/01/baked-spaghetti-squash-and-cheese.htmlhttp://
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Try again and aim to undercook. If it doesn't strand properly when you scrape, put it back in for more time.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I've made this; very nice. I used spinach instead of Kale because that was what I had on hand. I also added a little ham sausage.
    http://askgeorgie.com/spaghetti-squash-and-kale-gratin/
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I've tried it once and really liked it. I roasted mine cut side up so it browned and got good flavor. Then I used the fork to make the strings and added it to a pan that had olive oil, a tablespoon of butter, garlic, pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, salt, and cooked shrimp. So, it was like a shrimp scampi but with the squash instead of angel hair pasta. My husband is a pasta lover and he even liked it - said he might even like it more than the pasta.
  • AnIrishLibra
    AnIrishLibra Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've tried it once and really liked it. I roasted mine cut side up so it browned and got good flavor. Then I used the fork to make the strings and added it to a pan that had olive oil, a tablespoon of butter, garlic, pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, salt, and cooked shrimp. So, it was like a shrimp scampi but with the squash instead of angel hair pasta. My husband is a pasta lover and he even liked it - said he might even like it more than the pasta.

This sounds good. I'll have to try that.... and alfredo. I'm not ready to give up on spaghetti squash just yet!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    You neeeeeed to try this recipe! I had never even tried Spaghetti Squash before and I thought it sounded gross, but this was heavenly!
    http://paleomg.com/almost-5-ingredient-pizza-spaghetti-pie/

I make this all the time!! Highly recommend trying this way. I had tried before just to eat it like spaghetti and didn't care for it. Now I never eat pasta and stick with spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles
  • momnom27
    momnom27 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is the best! I used to hate making it because I struggled to cut in in half. Then my mother in law taught me the easy way to cook it. Just pierce it through several times with metal skewers and bake it whole. Usually about an hour and 20 min, rolling it over halfway thru does the trick. Top it with a little pasta sauce, or chili, or lentils, butter, parmesan, anything! So filling. Makes me hungry just thinking about it.
  • fitfatty88
    fitfatty88 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is sooo good. I'm going to agree with everyone else here that making it in the microwave makes it less watery/mushy. I had SS last night and after it was shredded out, it was thrown into a glass pan with some cooked ground turkey, diced tomatoes, mushrooms, a little tomato sauce. Topped with some shredded Parmesan and cheddar, baked at 375 until it got all crispy and delicious on top. It tasted like baked ziti but without the guilt :).
  • funfatfriend
    funfatfriend Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just made this last Saturday.
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/12/spaghetti-squash-sausage-lasagna-boats.html
    My dad, that will not touch a vegetable, even loved it! :smile:
    Also after I shredded it with a fork I just grab a handful a squeezed out the water.
  • SlimmerShelly
    Options
    Take the whole squash, using a fork or knife poke holes in it. Cook in the oven at 350 for an hour. Once done, let it cool enough to handle, cut in half, scoop out the seeds/guts and then you can scrape your strands off. Comes out perfect. My friend cooks it this way all the time. She eats it with turkey burger and spaghetti sauce.