I do great until I get home.......

I am so accountable and eat so well while I'm at work! I don't cheat, I eat within my macros and I use my fitbit religiously to get at the least 10,000 steps at work alone. The problem comes in when I get home in the evening. I cook for my husband and 1 year old, and even then I stay within my goal by weighing and measuring everything, I make sure I have enough calories in a day to treat myself to my favorite snack, a York Peppermint Patty, but the later it gets the more the sugar monster creeps up on me and the cookies that are for my husband get me every time. This frustrates me to no end! Having insomnia keeps me up and eating!!!

What do you do in situations like this??

Replies

• daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Once you come to the realization and permanent faith, that you are in control. The cookies dont get to your mouth without you making the choice to pick them up ;)
  • KatieWH
    KatieWH Posts: 68 Member
    Try replacing the behavior. Every time you want a cookie, get up and go for a walk. Or do a chore. Or check your email. Anything to get your mind off of it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2014
    I have an issue with night time eating also. Keep low calorie healthy snacks at the ready. Cut up veggies, place into small snack bags....no excuses. You have a munchy substitute.

I keep air popped popcorn available. I like the SMALL Angies Chicka Boom Pop bags (Halloween treat size are perfect)....I can't be trusted with full size bags (yet).

Hot herbal tea perhaps? Red tea (rooibos) is naturally sweet and it comes in flavors. Maybe have the tea first and if you are still craving....then allow yourself one cookie.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Several suggestions.

1) Talk to your husband about eating better with you. I'm most cases if there is only one person in a family trying to eat healthier while everyone else isn't, the likelihood of failure is high. Get him on board. This will eliminate the need to buy junk food which causes temptation once you get home. If that's not an option then..

2)Eat more volume. Avoid calorie dense foods at dinner. Eat big voluminous meals that will hold you over the entire night and keep cravings at bay.

3)Plan to eat you favorite snacks AFTER you've eaten you big dinner. Never before. I find that when I'm really full and know that I have a snack or two waiting for me, which fit my macros, it gives me a feeling of satisfaction and comfort. And I tend to eat them much slower when I'm full; so I enjoy them longer.

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Some tactics I use:
    -Drink a big glass of water.
    -Drink some decaf tea/regular tea depending on the time of day.
    -Just go to bed, even if I know I won't fall asleep right away.
    -Keep low calorie snacks onhand.
    -If I'm craving something sweet, have a piece of fruit instead.
    -Sometimes I drink a glass of milk. It is quite filling to me.
    -Keep healthier desserts in the house.
    -Play with my dogs/get on the computer/go for a walk/clean/crochet/anything that takes my mind off wanting to snack.
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    ^^ Great post!

depending on how late in the evening you are getting these cravings, have you considered brushing your teeth maybe an hour or even 2 hours before bed? i know that when my teeth are brushed, i dont eat anything afterwards. so, if you sleep at 11 pm, you could brush around 9, then do mouthwash rinse at 10. its just a psychological tool i have used in the past.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Several suggestions.

2)Eat more volume. Avoid calorie dense foods at dinner. Eat big voluminous meals that will hold you over the entire night and keep cravings at bay.

This is huge. I love salmon and broccoli night at my house. That's loads of protein and I can eat tons with very few calories. It really reduces the night time snacking on the high cal stuff.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Have a night time tea ritual.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    What is the difference between the discipline and accountability you have at work than it is at home?
  • ncscott11
    ncscott11 Posts: 100 Member
    Tea! If you have a few calories left add a little honey to it. This way it's sweet and (for me at least) will fill you up! I have this almost nightly to end the day with something a little sweet and help me relax before bed.
  • cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    When I go to reach for the cookie or bowl of ice cream. I try to remember this. Less than five minutes of pleasure is not worth the guilt I will feel afterwards. You need to put it in perspective. Think about how you will feel about your choice afterwards. It worked for me last night when I wanted my husband's cookie from Subway!
  • donnasinc
    donnasinc Posts: 114 Member
    Several suggestions.

1) Talk to your husband about eating better with you. I'm most cases if there is only one person in a family trying to eat healthier while everyone else isn't, the likelihood of failure is high. Get him on board. This will eliminate the need to buy junk food which causes temptation once you get home. If that's not an option then..

I really agree with these points. I find that I just cannot have that "food" in the house. I know it may seem unrealistic since the world is full of all those cookies and treats that I am avoiding but to come home to it as well seems unrealistic. I find that I am not feeling that need to nibble so much when I do have this amazing evening meal that is full of a lot of variety but not overdosed with calories. I love a nice filet of salmon with this fabulous salad that includes a variety of veggies and a great vinaigrette. Perhaps you need to put more energy into preparing an evening meal that will keep you satisfied.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    What is the difference between the discipline and accountability you have at work than it is at home?

This right here is the key. At work you are busy, distracted and can easily ignore cravings I bet. At night it has most likely just become a habit. Hunger have nothing to do with cravings so even if you're eating nutrient dense foods and have no hunger signals at all at night, if you have the cravings. The only thing that has worked for me was to elimate all grains/wheat, etc. from my diet and incorporate very high protein and high healthy fats. By doing those two things my sweets cravings were gone within just a couple of days.
  • These are all good suggestions and nothing is a one stop solution for everyone. The key point, I think, is your insomnia. I too suffer from frequent insomnia, as does my SO. We found that, individually, we would consume 1000 calories easy during a sleepless night. For me this was tougher because I was also raised to be a "bored eater". If I'm not busy doing something, my tendency is to find something edible to keep me busy, so I don't always have any wiggle room in my accounting.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to find a way to treat the insomnia. Melatonin, warm tea right before bed, prescriptions, medical marijuana or whatever. Just find something that works for you. For my SO, the answer was a sleep aid, combined with having her designated treat later in the evening so she was going to bed with it still in her mind.

Late calorie stuffing can also be a sign of being too strict. You might need a few more cals through the day, or a different balance of nutrition to satisfy your physical nutrition needs.
  • KaidensMom13
    KaidensMom13 Posts: 25 Member
    edited October 2014
    I truly appreciate you all for giving me such great suggestions!!!

I have a huge box of green tea (probably from a different diet I was going to try :) ) I'll try that approach.

My husband is slim and can eat for days without a second thought and won't gain a pound. Getting him to eat better would be nearly impossible!!!

A sleep aid may be necessary, I'm going to look into a non habit forming aid!!!

I know I have to be stronger, hearing all of your support definitely helps!!!!
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    That is my problem as well! Maybe you should save calories for those cookies. Maybe that is what you want more then the treats you give yourself. My sister and I live together and our kids want all the cookies, cake, ice cream and treats. Sometimes I just say no, but I have learned to calculate those things in ahead of time. I don't like tea, but they are right about it. When I drink tea it makes me full.

Make sure you fill yourself up at dinner time and are satiated. That way you are less likely to indulge.

Tell that sweet tooth monster to kick rocks :)
  • Self control is not easy, but the rewards outweigh giving in. We all struggle with it, you are on the right path by just acknowledging a weakness that YOU can overcome. You are the master of your destiny.

We all fall off the wagon, just work on falling on it less often and eventually staying on it full time.

Best of luck in your endeavors, YOU can do this! Peace.
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Exercising at night, brushing my teeth early or just going to bed work for me. If I really want something sweet I usually have either a cinnamon toast eggo waffle plain or a special K chocolately pretzel cereal bar that I still have calories left for. I have found though that every time I am able to tell myself no and stick to it that gives me a sense of accomplishment and empowerment showing me that the food does not run my life I do! I always liked the saying "nothing tastes as good as being healthy/thin feels" When I do give in because I didn't plan ahead of I just decided oh well no big deal I always end up regretting it later so I try to think of that regret ahead of time. Keep at it you'll be ok!
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    I have that problem too - I have moved my "dinner" time a little later at night, and then tell myself I can't have anything until at least an hour after that, and then tell myself that it is "after 9pm" so I really don't need it. That has worked in the past couple of weeks - at least most of the time.

I also try to distract myself with something else, folding laundry or washing dishes during commercials when I am watching TV.

Melatonin is a great non-habit forming sleep aid.