Workouts that help with Hypothyroid

Options
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone else has had trouble losing weight because of low thyroid hormone output. Wondering what type of exercise you might suggest to stimulate this but not over-stress and stall progress. I'm a former competitive athlete but recently gained 20lbs in 6 months when I over-trained and over-stressed my body at crossfit. I do heavy lifting which helps, but wondering what type of cardio might be best? If anyone has had similar difficulties please help. My diet is very clean and can't get any more clean than it is. I've been stuck at my current weight for over a month.

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I'm hypo as a result of thyroid cancer and am on Synthroid. I also have other endocrine issues, and basically my hormones are a mess.

Weight loss has not been an issue for me. A few years back I lost 90lbs, then had a baby and came to MFP to lose that weight. I've lost 45lbs since mid June. I am a runner, so the weight comes off me quite quickly when I'm training since I can't "eat back" all of the calories I burn on my long run days, but it still truly comes down to caloric deficit. Both times I've lost weight have been with major endocrine issues and it didn't seem to hamper my progress at all.

Basically what I'm saying is that your thyroid probably isn't a factor unless it's severely out of whack for quite a long time. If your thyroid is stabilized, it shouldn't cause you any issues with weight loss.

Are you weighing everything you eat? If not, get yourself a kitchen scale ASAP. You will be amazed at the difference it makes when you know with 100% accuracy what your calorie intake is.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I am also hypo (Hashimoto's)...

The best cardio is the kind you like and will keep doing. I like Zumba and hiking. Other people like running, spin, swimming, or prancercise ;)
  • JLClarkson
    Options
    yeah, I am in the process of getting testing done to figure out what's going on. I have been eating at a deficit for months and doing varied exercise 4-5 days a week. I will try weighing my food and see if that helps. I'm also dairy, gluten and mostly legume free and don't drink either.
    What is prancercise? lol
    Options
    LOL prancercise. Youtube it if you need a good laugh.
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Following...hashimotos here :(
  • Christi102012
    Christi102012 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have congenital hypothyroidism (born with it) and I haven't always been great at taking my medication. Once the Dr. gets your medication stabilized you'll see some real results. The medication itself will help shed some pounds but exercise and eating sensibly will speed up the process. For now just keep doing what you've been doing. When you get on medication make sure to take it on an empty stomach. I take mine about an hour before I eat anything or 2-3 hours after eating. But it's always better to take it even with food in your stomach than to miss it. If you take any supplements make sure to talk to your Dr. about any needed time separation. I believe iron and calcium needs to be taken in a different time of day than thyroid medication.
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ^^ yes to all of the above
    Calcium will inhibit absorption of your meds
    Also we're not supposed to eat things like cabbage, brussels sprouts, etc. Not sure why, but it has something to do with the meds I believe (probably related to the iron comment above)
  • azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    We have a "Butterfly Chasers" group for auto-immune hypothyroid (Hashimoto's), which is likely the cause of your hypothyroid condition (testing will be able to tell you). You can find lots of helpful info (experiences with mineral supplements, diet, etc.) in that group and support for any frustration you may be going through. Feel free to join us.

FYI.. BinkyBonk - foods that contain goitrogens (cabbage, brussel sprouts, etc.) are considered by many to be safe for hypothyroid people when they are cooked.
    Options
    azure7 wrote: »
    We have a "Butterfly Chasers" group for auto-immune hypothyroid (Hashimoto's), which is likely the cause of your hypothyroid condition (testing will be able to tell you). You can find lots of helpful info (experiences with mineral supplements, diet, etc.) in that group and support for any frustration you may be going through. Feel free to join us.

FYI.. BinkyBonk - foods that contain goitrogens (cabbage, brussel sprouts, etc.) are considered by many to be safe for hypothyroid people when they are cooked.
    Thanks. Good to know. I love my brussels sprouts :smile:
  • JLClarkson
    Options
    Great thanks everyone, I'll check out butterfly chasers for sure!