Start working at Mcdonalds, how to stop myself from overeating?

Options

Replies

• Nona240
    Nona240 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everybody!

aakaakaak,

That's a great idea! never thought about it that way!
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of studies that have shown that your attitude about the food can help ward off temptation. If you say/think, "I don't eat fried food", you are more likely to not have any than if you say/think "I can't eat fried food". (http://www.forbes.com/sites/heidigranthalvorson/2013/03/14/the-amazing-power-of-i-dont-vs-i-cant/)

So, you don't eat french fries :)
  • Nona240
    Options
    jlahorn wrote: »
    There are a couple of studies that have shown that your attitude about the food can help ward off temptation. If you say/think, "I don't eat fried food", you are more likely to not have any than if you say/think "I can't eat fried food". (http://www.forbes.com/sites/heidigranthalvorson/2013/03/14/the-amazing-power-of-i-dont-vs-i-cant/)

Thank you! I will do that!
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    now i want a double quarter pounder with cheese. thanks for this thread :\
  • Augustleobaby87
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight ( in my teens) working fast food. For about 6 months I didn't eat anything there and then when I did I stuck to eating vegetarian dishes or grilled chicken. It wasn't that hard. After awhile you don't want anything fried.
  • hrcc2000
    hrcc2000 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Best scenario, eat a good meal before your shift. If you get stuck there longer than you were supposed to or you work a double, the grilled chicken sandwich without the bun or fries would probably be a good choice. It's only 150 calories and 3 carbs without the bun. Check out the meal builder website: http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/full_menu/full_menu_explorer.html
    You can pick and choose which items you want and what you want on those items. I find these sorts of tools are so handy when I'm trying to plan a fast food outing.
  • rebolaugh
    rebolaugh Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I worked at at Wendy's for several years when I was younger and I never got tired of the food! I got a free meal for every shift, and I always pigged out: frosties, fries, spicy chicken sandwiches! I think that it's ridiculous that you only get a 50% discount but maybe it will prevent you from eating too much.
    My non-MFP-related tip: when getting overheated and sweaty at the burgers/fries stations, go into the walk-in cooler until you've cooled off. And drink lots of water.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'd be eating them into bankruptcy... >:)
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    When i worked there I used to do 12-15 hour shifts. The only thing I ate was from there. We used to snack on the nuggets wrapped in a half piece of cheese. You get tired of it but I was a manager at the time and almost never got a break because we were short handed and i had to make sure the teenagers got theirs. Snacks and a chicken sandwich while doing cash up was my food for the day. I was so glad to be out of there.
  • 50sFit wrote: »
    I'd be eating them into bankruptcy... >:)
    HAHAHA!

I worked at a movie theater as a teenager, so I ate popcorn ALL the time but I was a runner and a swimmer so it worked out. Eventually I got sick of it and still don't eat much corn products to this day. Anyhow, there are a lot of good tips on here. I would stick with the Kid's meals if you have to have a burger and yeah eat it without the bun. Make sure you get some exercise in there too. I bet eventually you will burn on the food.

• Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    jlahorn wrote: »

This is excellent, a must-read for anyone who thinks they're having trouble with willpower. It's almost exactly how I quite smoking 40 years ago, after a 10-year 2-pack-a-day habit. I said to myself "I'm a non-smoker," and that simple act compelled me to behave like a non-smoker. It works, folks.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Good luck and stay away from early shifts, those left over bacon n egg mcmuffins would be gone in a flash if i worked there!!
  • flightybird
    flightybird Posts: 32 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I worked at Sonic for 6 and a half years and at Chick-fil-A for 3 and a half years, so I definitely know what it's like to be constantly surrounded by food and temptation.

My best piece of advice is to bring your own food from home, if you can. If you can't, see if it's possible for you to prepare your own food at work (grilled chicken, no oil on the grill is something I did at both Sonic & Chick-fil-A) and salads. Lean towards dressings like Italian that aren't heavy and cream-based. Steer clear of the "add-ons" like croutons, tortilla strips, etc.

I gained the bulk of my weight (no pun intended) while working at Sonic, because I ate really calorie-heavy foods ALL THE TIME. It's not a road you really wanna go down, because it's a LONG journey to find your way back to healthy.

Just be mindful of what you're putting in your mouth. Keep using MFP to log EVERYTHING, and make good choices. Every once in a while, it's okay to splurge on something like one of those freaking DELICIOUS McFlurries, just try not to make it an everyday thing. Make it a special treat.

Edited to add: AVOID THE SODAS. Water, water, water! That's where I gained a lot of weight as well, was the sodas, ESPECIALLY at Sonic (who can turn down a Cherry Limeade?) They are empty calories that are so easy and quick to just throw back and not even think about. WATER! Water water water!
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Nona240 wrote: »
    So in about 3 weeks I will start working at McDonalds...

Before I worked at a supermarket and when I was hungry after work I often bought myself something to eat. At the supermarket choosing for healthy options was hard sometimes and at the McDonalds I think this will be ever harder....

So does anyone have any tips for me?

I agree with everyone who said pack your own lunch

• jennifermcornett
    jennifermcornett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I worked at McDonald's for five years as a teenager, and I still love the food. Hopefully you'll decide it's disgusting, but you won't actually see the food being prepared for a long while, unless they're hiring you exclusively to work in grill. You'll probably be a cashier, maybe the drink maker in the front drive-thru, maybe eventually work up to back drive order/money taker... Anyway, the point is, you won't find the food disgusting, most likely, because you won't see it being made. So good luck. Eat the southwest grilled chicken salad with southwest ranch. 390 calories total. Or eat a chicken nugget happy meal with a diet drink. 305 calories. They are pretty strict on what food you're allowed to get for your free meal, but just realize there are good choices. Also, you can fit anything into your target calories in a day if you just plan for it ahead of time.
  • Nona240
    Options
    hrcc2000 wrote: »
    Best scenario, eat a good meal before your shift. If you get stuck there longer than you were supposed to or you work a double, the grilled chicken sandwich without the bun or fries would probably be a good choice. It's only 150 calories and 3 carbs without the bun. Check out the meal builder website: http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/full_menu/full_menu_explorer.html
    You can pick and choose which items you want and what you want on those items. I find these sorts of tools are so handy when I'm trying to plan a fast food outing.

Thanks for the site! Very helpful!! :smile:

• Nona240
    Options
    Thanks again for all the tips everyone! I think it will help a lot!
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I worked in McDonald's for 3 years and maintained my weight purely by accident. I got a grilled chicken sandwich (back when it was huge because they were trying to compete with subway), medium fries and a large diet soda almost every day. For double shifts I'd eat whatever I wanted on both breaks. The calories must have fit because I only started gaining after I quit to go to Uni lol.

You can fit it in - let yourself have one thing you LOVE from the menu (my friend had a large strawberry milkshake every day as her lunch, but she was a runner), but make the rest sensible. I personally LOVE the grilled chicken/bacon salads, and it is so delicious that I only really need 1/2 the ranch dressing packet. So I could eat that every day! Sadly they didn't have it when I worked there.

Don't try to tell yourself you 'can't have' something. The job is stressful, on your feet, and often quite long hours. You will be miserable if you don't feed yourself what you enjoy!
  • Nona240
    Options
    @onefortone

Thanks that might be a good idea, just have one thing and plan the rest of my meals to so can fit it in! :D
  • CMcD1445
    CMcD1445 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I might offer something slightly more specific than "Pack a lunch"... Although the best trick is will power, you need to have a trump card to pull out on a tough day. Ok, so you packed a lunch and ate it... You're still hungry, so now what? I recommend taking a protein bar, meal bar, or shake and putting it somewhere in case of emergencies. (If you have a locker, this would be a great spot)... I keep a survival kit of protein shakes and meal replacement shakes in my desk so if something is going wrong in my day, I don't have to give into temptation.