I'm annoyed...

Options
I am so annoyed, and I am really sorry to say this, but I get so frustrated with the posts of people who are "struggling" to lose like 5 or 10 pounds. I'm not trying to whine, but at what point do we concentrate on what's best for our bodies and not just what the stupid scale says? I mean one person could be at their healthiest at 150 pounds, while another person might be better at 120. I guess I just need to get over it. But I get so annoyed at the little "stick figures" sometimes.... :ohwell:

Replies

• RNLeslie
    RNLeslie Posts: 150
    Options
    I am so annoyed, and I am really sorry to say this, but I get so frustrated with the posts of people who are "struggling" to lose like 5 or 10 pounds. I'm not trying to whine, but at what point do we concentrate on what's best for our bodies and not just what the stupid scale says? I mean one person could be at their healthiest at 150 pounds, while another person might be better at 120. I guess I just need to get over it. But I get so annoyed at the little "stick figures" sometimes.... :ohwell:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    A lot of the people who need to lose 5-10 lbs have lost much more than that, they just are stuck on the last 10. It takes a heck of a lot longer to lose the last 5 than it does to lose the first 5. And some people just can see that 10 lbs is making a visual difference--at 5 feet tall, I certainly can. While some people might really focus on the scale, not everyone is just going by the numbers. I'm still on my last 10, and it's taking a really long time. While I know I don't have a ton to lose, I'm not a stick figure either. I have cellulite on my quads and hamstrings that I would like to reduce, and that only occurs with fat loss. I am very healthy, but reducing my body weight through a loss in body fat will improve my athleticism by making me lighter and easier to move around.
  • fjones0021
    Options
    Well I agree, sometimes its hard to listen to those who are tiny gripe about their struggle to lose 5-10 pounds, but I am in the same boat as them... well lets say sort of LOL:tongue: Im not exactly skinny I weigh 159 and im 19 and only 5'4" so ... Im at the least 10 pounds overweight maybe a lil' more but im not a chunky lil' thing either altho I do have some extra weight in my stomach and thighs!

Im about 10 pounds overweight give or take some and since I put that extra 10 pounds on I've seen a huge difference in my health, Im border line high blood pressure and just overall I feel exhausted all the time!

Its ok to gripe tho, we are all entitled to that! We all have our bad days...I had one today! I wish you the best of luck with your weight loss goals!!! :flowerforyou:
  • vanessadawn
    Options
    Having lost 15 lbs, I still can't wait to lose the last 10-15 because I know they will make a big difference not only in how I look, but how I feel about myself. So hopefully everyone is just doing it for themselves and not other reasons.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

I can't say I get annoyed because I better understand now that folks on here whether we have 5 lbs. or 150 lbs on our bodies that we feel we would benefit by dropping...it's our goal...it's what's important to US to feel better about ourselves and our health!

I will say MFP has taught me tolerance and greater understanding. To someone with a smaller goal or towards the end of their goal loss perhaps 10 lbs. is ALOT on their body, they want to keep going to reach their goal to feel they've succeeded...so who would i be to say any different....:drinker:

Also there are many of us who have changed our goals a number of times as we drop weight.....sometimes folks have shared they get to their goal and want to drop down another 10 because they feel it's a better weight to them.....the opposite has happened as well. Someone may have a low goal then be 20 from what they thought they'd want/need to weigh and decide to begin to start to maintain instead.

10 to me nowadays off my body is much more than it was 170 lbs ago. :laugh: I'm not so sure I would have noticed it the way I do now!

I hear what you are saying but I think as you're on MFP longer and you notice folks that are down to their last 15 lbs or so.....it might be that they've already dropped 130 already! I don't really don't do the numbers game, rarely weigh myself (it's to easy for me to get caught up in it and live for the number on the scale)....but on occasion I do just to see my ticker change. lol

For me at my weight....I have a ways to go so a number on a scale is much less significant than say a tape measure, how my clothes fit, how much further I have to now move up my car seat etc.:laugh:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Having lost 15 lbs, I still can't wait to lose the last 10-15 because I know they will make a big difference not only in how I look, but how I feel about myself. So hopefully everyone is just doing it for themselves and not other reasons.
    I agree.....that's my hope too! I feel if we do it for ourselves....the journey will be a success...if we do it for others or worry what others think....well....it just might not be a lasting loss.:noway: :cry:
  • HealthyKt78
    Options
    Well you have to think about it this way:

You have goal weight that you're trying to achieve. Eventually you will be at a point where there's 10 pounds until your goal weight. That's where most of these people are now.
  • RNLeslie
    Options
    Ok, let me clarify. I am NOT looking at people who are down to their last 10 pounds or so, according to their ticker. Of course I realize that the last few pounds are very difficult (not that I've actually ever been down to that point). Unless people are changing their ticker so that it doesn't show all their past loss or how far they've come (which seems silly), I am looking at people trying to lose about 10 pounds total. Kudos to them for trying to be healthy, if that's what they're doing. It's just hard for me being someone so far from that point to understand why they can't be thankful for what they've got!
  • Mimiche
    Options
    I only have to lose 2 lbs to get to my goal weight of an even 20 lbs lost in a year. (My ticker is a bit off as I gained a pound this November :blushing: Silly pre-holiday baking! ) I'm only 5'3", so though 20 lbs is a small number compared to alot of people on MFP, I think it was important for me to lose it.

I'm not really focused on the last two pounds but maintaining my weight and inches lost, keeping healthy and active, and feeling confident. But it would still be nice to hit that target weight. But I still turn to MFP for support and logging my calories, and often join challenges to lose the last 2 lbs to keep me focused. In the long run I don't really care to lose it, but I do want to stay healthy and happy and not slip into old habits!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Ok, let me clarify. I am NOT looking at people who are down to their last 10 pounds or so, according to their ticker. Of course I realize that the last few pounds are very difficult (not that I've actually ever been down to that point). Unless people are changing their ticker so that it doesn't show all their past loss or how far they've come (which seems silly), I am looking at people trying to lose about 10 pounds total. Kudos to them for trying to be healthy, if that's what they're doing. It's just hard for me being someone so far from that point to understand why they can't be thankful for what they've got!

Just like you said earlier--a scale weight doesn't mean anything. Just having 10 lbs to lose doesn't mean they are automatically in shape with a low body fat. Plenty of people are 'light', but have very little muscle mass or are just in poor health. Or they simply want to improve their body composition or performance...I mean, 10 lbs can make a huge difference in your health. It takes up a lot of space, it's fairly heavy, it can increase your risk of cardiovascular disease depending on its location, it's about a dress-size...
    I mean, why can't we all be thankful for what we've got? We're all capable of walking around and wiping our own bottoms, so things aren't all that bad. We all have unique reasons to lose some body fat. I have only seen one person here who was obviously suffering from an ED and was dangerously thin, and I don't think she's here anymore. Everyone else is just trying to improve their quality and length of life.
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    LeslieS, I'm glad you brought this up. I'm probably in this boat of people who deserve slapping and if you'll read my profile, you'll put me on your black list without second thoughts. I was never overweight - though I'm not today's dream girl either - people defined me recently rather as "normal" . But I do have a problem accepting me for what I am and being confident.

I go to the aerobic class and see all those girls that I find skinnier and better looking. Who knows, I might look as some of them, but I don't see myself that way. Yes, I DO obsess over weight at times, but so I do over other things that I also consider secondary. So I agree, I should be thankful. But thankfulness might be stagnation (and I did put on some weight at some point, getting me a bit rounder), so I'm trying to find a balance - to strive for better, so that I don't lose even when it feels like losing. Now if you give me the key to happiness I'll go ahead and open that door, but I'm afraid it ain't that easy. And I'm also fighting judging other people - it isn't easy to forgive in others what you can't forgive within yourself. Or vice-versa.

So good luck to you and don't let us stay in your way. Maybe you can learn from us how to always fight and to always strive for more. While also learning from our mistakes: how to be thankful for what you have and to acknowledge that, so you can go ahead and conquer what you don't yet have. How to stop when it's time to. And so on...

:flowerforyou:
  • Lizjkp
    Lizjkp Posts: 278
    Options
    We each have our own goals and because some are smaller than others does not make it a "GRIPE" this is a FORUM where we all help and give support to each other, negative input is totally unnecessary it brings everybodies moral and staying power down.
    Rather be pleased for those of us who only have those last few Pounds to lose it shows that we have worked hard.
    My ounce of FAT may be someone else's Pound of lard so "DONT WORRY BE HAPPY" and share in other's happiness.
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    We each have our own goals and because some are smaller than others does not make it a "GRIPE" this is a FORUM where we all help and give support to each other, negative input is totally unnecessary it brings everybodies moral and staying power down.
    Rather be pleased for those of us who only have those last few Pounds to lose it shows that we have worked hard.
    My ounce of FAT may be someone else's Pound of lard so "DONT WORRY BE HAPPY" and share in other's happiness.

I think she's just been honest. And let out what other people think as well. So she gives everyone an opportunity to explain how they feel. Nothing wrong with that. I also think skinny girls are annoying when they worry over 1 pound, but I now realize I am also skinny to some people. So I wouldn't throw the stone - we let it all out here, the good and the bad. So that we can learn and get stronger and move on.

Sheesh, I should get down to work, it's late morning at my end :embarassed:
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents worth - not wanting to offend anybody.

To some people, those 5-10 lb are a dress size. My mother-in-law, who had become "morbidly obese" by her physician's standards told me that it simply crept up on her in about 20 years by 2 lb a year. She didn't pay much attention. But those 40 to 50 lb showed up in the end. So I took that as a warning and I noticed for me that those 10 lb crept up on me in 3 years.

I have two children with two different ability in ages in life, although they both try to accomplish the same things. Even though my daughter who is older is stronger, faster, and has longer endurance, I praise my son the same for his effort as well. For this website, it is not just the numbers, but a change in attitude, lifestyle, and obtaining the support needed to make those changes.

So everyone keep up the great work. If healthier lifestyle was easy, McDonald's would be out of business.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    That doesn't bother me, all have a goal and a desire. Shoot, there's even a few on here who need to GAIN weight to be healthy--now that taught me something! They have just as much a struggle as I do in losing and for the same reasons. See, that's the point of MFP--to bring together people who are not just trying to "diet" or lose weight or gain weight, but who are trying to learn to LIVE HEALTHY! I have found that most on here--notice I say MOST not ALL--are sick and tired of being unhealthy and have probably tried every "diet" in the book and then some. Now, we're ready to do it right, and to make it last a lifetime!

I've said it before and will say it again--the only thing that bothers me--not annoys but bothers--is when people speak horribly about themselves, calling themselves ugly, fat, slobs, etc.

Particularly when they have a small amount to lose. One, if they view themselves as that when they have 10 pounds to lose, what does that mean about us who have a lot more to lose? How does that negatively impact our own self-identity?

AND, people simply need to learn to love themselves as they are NOW or they will never be at peace with themselves at any weight.
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those 10 lb. people, and I'm very grateful for what I have, but I'm a yo-yoer and I've been up and down these same ten pounds several times over the years. Just because I'm here doesn't mean I want to be skin and bones. I'm 5'2" and a few pounds add size quickly. I was at a point where I was going to have to revamp my wardrobe with the next size up if I didn't do something, and I didn't want to have to spend a few hundred dollars on clothes again, let alone how that would make me feel.

I think people focus way too much on the scale, too, but unfortunately that's what most weight loss sites and programs focus on. It's the easiest thing to measure. I exercise a lot and am happy to put on muscle weight. Sometimes I consider removing my ticker because I don't really care whether I reach the goal it shows, but I also like to show that health can be achieved and maintained. You don't stop watching what you eat once you reach your goal. "This isn't a diet," as they say.

Being overweight to obese runs in my family, as well as diabetes and high blood pressure, and I don't want to follow my family down that road, nor do I want my children to go there. I'm going to be 40 in January and I'm quite proud of the health that I've achieved for my age. A couple years ago I saw myself heading down the road of most of my family and decided it was time to make a change. My grandmother is suffering from some major diabetes complications right now and my mother's side of the family isn't having a Thanksgiving because of it. My mother has many health issues herself. I could go where they are. Instead I've chosen to learn from them and live as healthy a life as I can.

I support the goal of health in general, and everyone on this site working to achieve it. :heart: A person's weight is only one indicator. I've thought of removing my ticker (and I purposely choose not to show my weight). I'm still thinking about it, but I'm here to maintain my health, and that's an important goal to share, too. It's too easy to get back into bad habits and have to start over again (or worse). Anyone can always get healthier, whether or not that means thinner.

:drinker: Cheers to everyone! To health and long, happy lives!

Cheryl
  • RNLeslie
    Options
    Shorerider, thank you for finally saying what I think I was originally trying to say. I don't want to knock anybody because they want to lose the few pounds of extra that they have. It just bugs me when they are only a couple of pounds overweight, and they want to talk about how "gross" their muffintop is or something along those lines. Or how disgusting they think they are. That just makes me get defensive trying to think about what they would say if they saw me, way more than 100 lbs overweight. And they try to say "oh no, you're fine" when I know what they're really thinking. It just automatically puts me on the defensive I guess. But I'm over it. All I can do is to do the best that I can. I'm on the right path now...
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    That doesn't bother me, all have a goal and a desire. Shoot, there's even a few on here who need to GAIN weight to be healthy--now that taught me something! They have just as much a struggle as I do in losing and for the same reasons. See, that's the point of MFP--to bring together people who are not just trying to "diet" or lose weight or gain weight, but who are trying to learn to LIVE HEALTHY! I have found that most on here--notice I say MOST not ALL--are sick and tired of being unhealthy and have probably tried every "diet" in the book and then some. Now, we're ready to do it right, and to make it last a lifetime!

I've said it before and will say it again--the only thing that bothers me--not annoys but bothers--is when people speak horribly about themselves, calling themselves ugly, fat, slobs, etc.

Particularly when they have a small amount to lose. One, if they view themselves as that when they have 10 pounds to lose, what does that mean about us who have a lot more to lose? How does that negatively impact our own self-identity?

AND, people simply need to learn to love themselves as they are NOW or they will never be at peace with themselves at any weight.
    very nicely put:flowerforyou:
  • mbb8682
    mbb8682 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I think we all have a goal here and thats why we are her wether it be 5lbs or 150 lbs we want to lose.
    I want to lose 15 or 20 if I could lose 10 I would be happy with that I have put on several pounds since I got married and I am here to say wether it be 1lb or 50 it how feel about yourself we are the hardest on ourselves when other s may think we look great.

We look at ourselves everyday naked and see things others don't. When I gradusted form high school I weighed 97 lbs I looked gross I was skinny now I weigh 138 which to some people may think thats a great weight but when you are 5'3' and its all in your belly you don't look good.

So to everyone who has weight to lose good luck to us all and remember we all have goals so lets get there together and have support for each other we all need it because some people this is all the support they get.:wink:
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Shorerider, thank you for finally saying what I think I was originally trying to say. I don't want to knock anybody because they want to lose the few pounds of extra that they have. It just bugs me when they are only a couple of pounds overweight, and they want to talk about how "gross" their muffintop is or something along those lines. Or how disgusting they think they are. That just makes me get defensive trying to think about what they would say if they saw me, way more than 100 lbs overweight. And they try to say "oh no, you're fine" when I know what they're really thinking. It just automatically puts me on the defensive I guess. But I'm over it. All I can do is to do the best that I can. I'm on the right path now...

Leslie,
    I just read your profile and saw the date on your wedding picture...CONGRATULATIONS on your recent marriage!:heart::smile: And you've also just started nursing school, which is another big, new thing in your life--lots of changes right now! (A few months ago I also got married, bought a house, and moved to a new town, so I can relate to the changes--I still don't know which end is up sometimes.) Give yourself some credit for what you're doing right now, and what you WILL achieve with the help of MFP. You are NOT gross or disgusting, and like others have said, this is a forum where everyone is listened to (even if they're not agreed with--that's what makes it interesting). We are here to help. And trust me - people here aren't thinking bad things about you, no matter what they look like themselves (and if they are, then :angry: ).
    This is an awesome community with great (FREE! Yay, Mike!) resources for us to use.

I wish you luck and success with your weight loss journey! :drinker:

Melanie