Shoe recommendations

Options
Afternoon All!!

Just wanted to ask a question I have had my Brooks running shoes for a year. I'm back on the fitness bandwagon and weigh 337 pounds. My plantar fasciitis is starting to flare up again so I'm sure it's time for shoes. I mainly do fitness classes -- kickboxing, tabata, aerobics, circuits, etc.

I do wear a 13 in women's or men's depending on the cut of the shoe.

Any recommendations??? TIA

Replies

• Kimmer03
    Kimmer03 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Go to a shoe store and get properly fitted. You might look at spending a bit more, but you won't get a proper fit by asking people on MFP. I personally like Rykas but what works for me, doesn't work for everyone. Go get a proper fit and if it doesn't work, try a different one. As you lose weight, your shoes will need to be changed, too. :) Good Luck!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    How are you a 13 in both mens and womens?

If you're using them for running at all, go get fit at a running store and don't use them for fitness classes.

If you're only doing fitness classes, go to any only shoe store and pick up crosstrainers that ate comfortable and supportive for you.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/product/shoe-dog.jsp <<<if you are looking for running shoes.

I use Vibram Five Fingers for kickboxing, yoga, and general aerobics.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Kimmer03 wrote: »
    Go to a shoe store and get properly fitted. You might look at spending a bit more, but you won't get a proper fit by asking people on MFP. I personally like Rykas but what works for me, doesn't work for everyone. Go get a proper fit and if it doesn't work, try a different one. As you lose weight, your shoes will need to be changed, too. :) Good Luck!

Agree! It's best to be fitted for a shoe that will work for you. Is it perhaps possible your shoes are worn out? I tend to buy a new pair every 6 months or so, but it depends on how much you are using them as well. I ended up getting planter fascitis myself awhile back, from some combination of wearing shoes that were too worn out and then wearing new shoes which did not fit me correctly.

I like the Brooks Adrenaline GTS shoes, but those were hand-picked for me by someone at a running store (no issues since switching to those shoes - knock on wood). I went into a running store to get sized the first time, and I bought from there that time. I have usually been able to find them more cheaply online after that (except for right now, as they just released a new model recently and there are none left of the old model in any store as far as I can tell!)
  • Mandi5Dogs
    Mandi5Dogs Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been wearing Brooks and Saucony, both are great. I started out with them when I was 287 lbs. For the gym (classes and circuit training), the Saucony Ride or Guide models give me the best support. I don't have to worry about my ankles turning. I use the Brooks for the elliptical. If a stability shoe like the Guide doesn't help go get fitted and find a pair of good insoles. They are pricey, about $65 but when I was having the same issue they helped a great deal. Also, stretch your calves. My last piece of advice as someone who has been there, I had to replace my shoes about every 3-4 months until I got to under 200 lbs. The soles were fine, but the inside cushion was just shot!

Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posts, go to a shoe store (not a big chain) and get properly fitted. They can do an analysis on you and help you determine what type of shoe is best for you.
  • blabrecque_xo
    blabrecque_xo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I wear Saucony sneakers for running, and Under Armour sneakers for classes and other workouts.
  • brandigyrl81
    brandigyrl81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've learned the hard way that the best way to keep your feet, knees and back all in good working order, is to have good shoes. I'd suggest a good cross-trainer (I personally like Asics) for the activities you've listed.

Also, keep in mind that shoes are like tires. After a certain amount of wear and tear, they must be replaced. I'd suggest replacing your shoes every 3-6 months. That may seem like a lot, but your feet, knees and back will thank you for it!
  • Amberbcox
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I got fitted for my Brooks at a running store. Yup, I figure my figure (even though getting smaller) has worn them out!
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Amberbcox wrote: »
    Thanks everybody! I got fitted for my Brooks at a running store. Yup, I figure my figure (even though getting smaller) has worn them out!

Enjoy your new shoes!
  • westup23
    westup23 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You want to change your shoes every 6-8 months if your using them everyday