Been to long, need lots of help.

Options
I let my weight get way out of control, need help with ideas on how to go about loosing weight. Easy, if there is any, ideas would nice and helpful. I have a lot to loose and no energy most of the time, need to find some.

Replies

• d6melanie
    d6melanie Posts: 84 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    One idea, that would theoretically be easy depending on your lifestyle is to choose to choose to give up foods that have added sugars for a period of time like 30 days. I have found that after two weeks of crashing I have sustained energy, sleep better, and wake up easier when I eliminate added sugars from my diet.
    This will also likely mean you end up reducing your calories, which will help with weight loss. When you have more energy you might be able to realistically think about what other types of things you're able to do.

I have found that starting by creating new habits, that will help me achieve goals, works better than starting with the goal. Two examples are: meal planning to be an essential activity, and I pre-cook a lot for the week on Sundays. Once that was a habit I paid more attention to calories, macros, etc... Or fitting in a short walk every day (as much as you can, just work on creating the habit, not "working" out) would be beneficial. And when it's routine to spend 1/2 an hour daily doing something physical be more strategic about how you spend that 30 minutes.

Hope this helps! Remember, it's a marathon (or in my case a series of sprints) not a sprint from start to finish.
  • msalamun
    msalamun Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    First of all, welcome to the site! This community is here to help you and give you all the support and encouragement you need to stay on track.

Next, I would set a goal for yourself. It can be almost anything. Pick a goal that will help motivate you and push to where you want to be. A good way to help determine your goal is by using the SMART acronym.

S = Specific. You want to be specific in your goal. You say you have a lot to lose, but write a number down. Having something specific in your mind helps create that focus to achieve it.
    M = Measurable. Your goal needs to be something that you can measure so that you can see your progress and know when you have reached it. Whether its a number on the scale or fewer times that you eat out each week, being able to count to your goal helps you reach it!
    A = Attainable. You want your goal to be attainable. Pick a goal you know you can reach, but don't make seem too daunting that you aren't motivated to go after it. A goal that you can still reach but still pushes you enough that you really will see some change!
    R = Realistic. Make sure your goal is realistic. A goal to be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound probably is not realistic. So keep that in mind when determining yours.
    T = Time-bound. Make sure your goal is set by a time as well. Hold yourself accountable to reach it by a certain time so you can really get after it. If you just set your goal to be reached "whenever," you will keep pushing it back further and further and not reach it. Make a timeline of when you WILL reach your goal.

After you set a goal, the next best thing is to determine how you will reach it. If your goal is to lose a certain amount of weight, make a plan on how to get that number. The best way to lose weight is to eat right and exercsie. Make it a point to try and do some physical activity every day. Even if you start out small, like just a walk around the block, go do it! Just take that first step! You know what they say, "The journey of a thousand miles begins with but a single step." As for the eating right part, that's exactly what this site and community are here for. Log what you eat so you know what needs to change, and talk with the community to get all the support and motivation you need. Again welcome!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    A great first step is just to start logging your food. This will help you get a feel for how much you are currently eating and where you are "wasting" calories. Then, read all the sticky posts at the top of the Getting Started forum, especially "Sexypants".

And don't overwhelm yourself with lots of rules. Just pick one thing to start with and work on it, like focus on keeping lunch under 600 calories, or focus on getting a veggie into every meal, or focus on limiting portion size on one food you waste a lot of calories on every day. Once you conquer that one thing, then add in something else.

Good luck :drinker:
  • stonegirldancing42
    stonegirldancing42 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    From a fellow low energied lady who also has depression -

Take your time. Feel things out. Start by lowering your calories, then see what else fits.

I find with me, I'll go overboard and then have even less energy to do anything. I don't listen to my body or overall self.

My current routine is walking a trail (nature helps my depression) and cutting some calories.

Choose things that fit into your lifestyle and self.

Best,
    MB
  • bears0131
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your comments and encouragements. It really helps.
  • abcmommyx3
    abcmommyx3 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am also just starting out (again) I find that small changes like drinking lots of water helps when lowering calories