I do great until I get home.......

Options
2»

Replies

• fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have that problem too - I have moved my "dinner" time a little later at night, and then tell myself I can't have anything until at least an hour after that, and then tell myself that it is "after 9pm" so I really don't need it. That has worked in the past couple of weeks - at least most of the time.

I also try to distract myself with something else, folding laundry or washing dishes during commercials when I am watching TV.

Melatonin is a great non-habit forming sleep aid.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Fruit will satisfy that sweet tooth, fill you up and is low-cal.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Fruit does not fill me up, or satisfy my so called "sweet tooth"

Eat 1 cookie. If it fits your day. Or eat them all and move on.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I drink tea or club soda at night to continue to consume stuff that doesn't have calories. Also, the only thing that really works for me an my total lack of will-power comes down to not having the treats in the house. Only on the weekends do I do that and I have to buy in moderation or I will not eat in moderation.
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Im the same. SUgar is like cocaine, the more you have the more you want. Try swaping your snack for a handfull of almonds or maybe berries. Eat them slowly
  • sus49
    sus49 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I plan my late night snacks into my meal plan for the day. So I leave myself 450 calories for the snacks. That way I am still under calories AND I have my frozen yogurt with nuts and chocolate syrup and cookies. Oh yeah, and I work out 40 minutes on the elliptical ost days to earn my snacks!
  • MattNorrisUL
    MattNorrisUL Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Some tactics I use:
    -Drink a big glass of water.

haha that's my go to "oh no I'm having a craving" first line of defense. I drink a large glass of water and that usually tides me over. Last night, I knew my wife was making cookies and I'm weak in the knees for two things: my wife and homemade cookie. :D So I made a deal with myself. If I went out and ran for at least 30 minutes, I could have a couple. :D I ran 40 minutes (about 3.5 miles) then the first thing I did when I ran back in the house was grab those two cookies. If I could just never eat a cookie again, I'd save myself a lot of running. haha

• lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Lots of great responses here, but FIRST you need to look at your allotted calories and macros. Do they make sense? Are you on 1200 calories (sedentary and lose 2lbs/week) and the macros that MFP assigns? Are you eating back your exercise calories? 10,000 steps a day is NOT sedentary, and the preset macros are low in fat and protein and too high in carbs. Maybe you just need more calories.

Check this out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a different approach to dessert. Try planning a few reasonable dessert evenings during the week and maybe increasing your steps. If I plan on having sweets I try and really increase my activity for the day or if I have something coming up increase my activity for the week. Some people can control sweets and some choose not to, but that doesn't mean you cannot balance them. If you can control yourself all day then why shouldn't you have a treat in the evening - this process has to be reasonably enjoyable.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    My dinners are pre-made just like my lunches. This way I have the same structure once I get home. When the "easy choice" is your on plan dinner the temptations is significantly less to eat stuff randomly out of the fridge, which is my biggest problem.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »

Fruit does not fill me up, or satisfy my so called "sweet tooth"

Eat 1 cookie. If it fits your day. Or eat them all and move on.
    I was replying to the OP, not to you.

Everyone is entitled to their own suggestions. Eating all the cookies every night is one way to go. Fruit is another. Saving up more calories is another. There are many suggestions. Fruit is mine.

I'm sorry that you don't like my suggestion, but it does give the OP more variety. She can pick one of ours or choose her own. :)
  • mrsdmiller74
    mrsdmiller74 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I truly understand. At work your meals are usually prepared the night before or if you like me I started walking on my 30 minute lunch break due to the fact that I sit at a desk 7.5 hours of the day. When I get home I want a snack because the kids are eating pizza rolls bagel bits etc but have you some go to snacks, like nuts, fruit omg veggies with humus is my favorite. Try to leave the cookies alone because after awhile it will defeat the purpose of what you are trying to do.
  • 39plus
    39plus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I eat very well at work also. What helps me with late night snacking is my trustworthy giant bag of pork rinds (skins). I know this isn't the best in healthy terms (sodium), but I drink a bottled water and take ONE handful out of the bag and put on a napkin and immediately clip the bag shut again. 1oz is only 90 calories, and no carbs. One bag will easily last a week. Or find something else low calorie, like everyone else said, and only eat that. Skinny Pop has the single serving bags that are good. Just don't buy the giant bag from Walgreens and eat the whole thing in one sitting...I have done this in the past, it's just that good!
  • KaidensMom13
    KaidensMom13 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    Lots of great responses here, but FIRST you need to look at your allotted calories and macros. Do they make sense? Are you on 1200 calories (sedentary and lose 2lbs/week) and the macros that MFP assigns? Are you eating back your exercise calories? 10,000 steps a day is NOT sedentary, and the preset macros are low in fat and protein and too high in carbs. Maybe you just need more calories.

Check this out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

If I am getting 10,000 steps a day what would you consider that?
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Are you blowing your calorie deficiency by eating those cookies?
  • KristenE83
    KristenE83 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have lost 94lbs (meaning I have successfully lost a boat load of weight) and for some reason have these exact same issues from time to time...right now is one of those times. The difference for me is that I religiously plan my food for work and pre-log everything. I don't, however, do the same for dinners and there lies the difference. We (me and you!) need to try pre-logging a pre-dinner snack as well as dinner. I find if I let myself get too hungry before dinner all bets are off. I also have the "if I eat a bowl of cereal at midnight it will cure the insomnia" issue. This is rare and I can't figure out a solution so I just go w/ it. However I do find that if I'm in a really good food/exercise routine I sleep better. Maybe that is a solution in itself. Either way... with a little preparation I think we can kick these bad habits!