4 Liters of Diet Soda Per Day to 1/2 Liter Per Day

Diet Soda (Coke) was a big factor in the weight I gained over the years. I tried many time to quit but failed every time. Headaches were the main cause of been unable to quit. There was also the concern of Diabetes. But that is something I avoided. After a lot of research I found many people had the same problem I did. So 8 Weeks ago I decided to change my lifestyle and cut back on the Diet Soda and planed on loosing 2 1/2 Stone. My first weigh in was 15 stone 1 pound and after planning my exercise and diet around My Fitness Pal and the determination of cutting back on the Soda I have dropped 25 Pounds.All in the space of 7 weeks. My diet soda intake per week has come down from 28 liters to 8 liters and this is all down to 1 little trick. This might sound weird but "By filling each glass with Ice before adding the diet soda
and repeating every time you add the Soda the amount of Coke diminishes to about 1 Quarter your intake per Day" It may not work for everyone but I have had great success doing this. I now feel great internally and no headaches while cutting down and only have 10 more pounds to go until I reach my 12 and a half stone Goal.

Replies

• corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    Okay, I've always been confused about this. Diet soda has zero calories, so why does it cause weight gain? (if it actually does)...
  • kungabungadin
    kungabungadin Posts: 290 Member
    Wow that's great! Good luck losing the weight. I already hardly drink pop any more , but I understand what you mean it was hard at first for me to cut back but it helped.
  • pinklark
    pinklark Posts: 49 Member
    That's great! I completely cut Diet Coke (and all soda) out of my life in Feb of this year. I feel great and don't even miss it as I've replaced it with a lot more water and unsweetened iced green tea :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Congratulations, but you lost weight due to a calorie deficit, not due to cutting back on a drink that already has minimal calories.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    corinic91 wrote: »
    Okay, I've always been confused about this. Diet soda has zero calories, so why does it cause weight gain? (if it actually does)...

It's high salt so it causes massive water retention and people make up for the zero calories by allowing folks to eat more than they would if they counted the calories in the food. It's why you see someone ordering 4 big macs and a diet soda. I have to give up soda almost altogether thanks to a health issue that keeps popping up so i'm going to be down 8oz a week.
  • corinic91 wrote: »

According to research The sugar substitute or sweeteners in diet sodas go straight into the liver turning it to Insulin (Fat)
  • LazerMole
    LazerMole Posts: 99 Member

There is *some* evidence that artificial sweeteners cause the same insulin priming reaction as real sugar, which can increase appetite and lead to overeating.

The main issue with drinking so much diet soda, though, is that people tend to drink that instead of water. So you end up with increased hunger, exacerbated by mild dehydration, and there's your recipe for overeating.

The best way I've found to reduce my diet soda intake is to require myself to drink a certain amount of water before I'm "allowed" any soda. I'm not necessarily trying to reduce my soda intake, it's more about increasing my water intake.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    behanar wrote: »

According to research The sugar substitute or sweeteners in diet sodas go straight into the liver turning it to Insulin (Fat)

not to mention the artificial sweeteners increases your appetite, people who drink diet soda are usually hungrier than people who don't.

I can attest to this myself as I used to drink more than 2 litres a day and now I drink a minimum of 80 oz of water and my appetite isn't anywhere near where it used to be. I also find myself not craving sweets as often as I used to.

To the OP, congrats man, you are making amazing progress. I know all about those headaches. A week of hell but I made it through. keep it up
  • Misterfish96
    Misterfish96 Posts: 26 Member
    Get a water cooler and 5 gallon bottles. I even refill my bottles from the tap. Some lemon and lime slices are always ready to go too.
  • LazerMole
    LazerMole Posts: 99 Member
    rowlandsw wrote: »

It's high salt so it causes massive water retention and people make up for the zero calories by allowing folks to eat more than they would if they counted the calories in the food. It's why you see someone ordering 4 big macs and a diet soda. I have to give up soda almost altogether thanks to a health issue that keeps popping up so i'm going to be down 8oz a week.

Diet soda is low sodium. Only 75mg of sodium in 20 oz of Diet Coke. That's only 3% of recommended daily sodium.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    LazerMole wrote: »

Diet soda is low sodium. Only 75mg of sodium in 20 oz of Diet Coke. That's only 3% of recommended daily sodium.

I wonder why people think its higher? I looked it up a few months ago when we were discussing this in a Group and people didn't want to believe me.

8 liters a day still seems a bit high to me. That would convert to about 2 gallons wouldn't it? Maybe I misunderstood and it's 8 liters a week?
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Giving up diet soda, a drink with minimal calories, isn't the reason for weight loss. Your exercise, paired with eating at a caloric deficit, is the reason for weight loss.

No matter the insulin response, excess calories are what makes you gain weight. Insulin itself isn't responsible for weight gain, as insulin is always present in the body at basal levels.

Sodium causes water retention, but not to the excess of 25 pounds.

While diet soda or artifical sweeteners may lead to excess hunger, they are not the cause of weight gain. Eating more than you burn leads to weight gain. Eating less causes weight loss. Diet drink correlation does not equal causation.
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    I could never drink diet pop, artificial sweeteners make me feel ill, because I find them sickeningly sweet. I am however a Pepsi addict, I have quit on and off over the years, the longest being 14 months then started again with just one on the weekends, yeah right. It has now been just over 3 months since my last one and the cravings are still there but manageable. The headaches during the first week were horrendous and just goes to show how strong sugar/caffeine addictions really are. Power to all that quit, its hard as hell but the health benefits are worth be it diet and regular pop.
  • dieselbyte

Do you even science?
  • corinic91

Why on EARTH did you parenthesize "fat" after insulin? I'm a type one diabetic. Insulin and fat and not the same thing. Insulin can prompt overeating, yes I know that, but they are not the same thing. Sorry, kind of a hot-button issue with me.
  • corinic91

There is *some* evidence that artificial sweeteners cause the same insulin priming reaction as real sugar, which can increase appetite and lead to overeating.

The main issue with drinking so much diet soda, though, is that people tend to drink that instead of water. So you end up with increased hunger, exacerbated by mild dehydration, and there's your recipe for overeating.

The best way I've found to reduce my diet soda intake is to require myself to drink a certain amount of water before I'm "allowed" any soda. I'm not necessarily trying to reduce my soda intake, it's more about increasing my water intake.

Interesting. Hadn't heard that about diet soda creating more insulin production. Not really an issue for me I suppose then since all of my insulin is manually injected :p
  • sodakat wrote: »

I wonder why people think its higher? I looked it up a few months ago when we were discussing this in a Group and people didn't want to believe me.

8 liters a day still seems a bit high to me. That would convert to about 2 gallons wouldn't it? Maybe I misunderstood and it's 8 liters a week?

4 Liters per day was my average

• TweedAddict
    TweedAddict Posts: 53 Member
    Robbnva wrote: »

not to mention the artificial sweeteners increases your appetite, people who drink diet soda are usually hungrier than people who don't.

I can attest to this myself as I used to drink more than 2 litres a day and now I drink a minimum of 80 oz of water and my appetite isn't anywhere near where it used to be. I also find myself not craving sweets as often as I used to.

To the OP, congrats man, you are making amazing progress. I know all about those headaches. A week of hell but I made it through. keep it up

Never knew that! But it does explain something to me, I very rarely drink diet coke, the video with it and milk put me off-yuck! But went to the cinema today so had one, been so hungry today I've over eaten, first time for that in weeks! Interesting
  • For anyone doubting the Impact of Diet sodas on your weight please have a look at a documentary called Fed UP. Here is a link to a trailer... Its pretty compelling stuff IMO
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y5dmnzkPzY
  • dieselbyte
    For anyone doubting the Impact of Diet sodas on your weight please have a look at a documentary called Fed UP. Here is a link to a trailer... Its pretty compelling stuff IMO
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y5dmnzkPzY

Interesting... post a flawed and incorrect statement about how limiting DIET soda (with no added sugar) is the only reason you lost weight. Then post a movie trailer to support your claim. HOWEVER, the movie in question points to added sugar (calories) and excess calories through fast foods as the main culprit to obesity. I fail to see how this "movie" supports your claim on diet soda?

The fact is excess calories leads to weight gain. Lack of exercise along with excess calories will lead to a host of health issues. Sugar isn't the cause of all problems. And the fact that you've given up DIET soda and claim this is the only reason you lost weight just isn't true. Congrats on your weight loss, but your perceived reasons for that loss are highly skewed and irresponsible.