My coworkers do this diet and i can't help but laugh

Options

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Marketing strategy on this one is brilliant!

Saw my doc recently and in discussing my loss, she asked what program I followed. Said I'm too cheap buy anyone's program, so went the logical way of paying attention to how much I eat & move more. She said for me to tell everyone because they don't believe her, when she says that is how to lose weight. People don't want simple, put in the effort 'programs'. They want to pay for a magic pill/drink/powder that promises magic.
  • ncscott11
    ncscott11 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    The diet only works because if you follow the plan you are only consuming 500 calories a day. The drops are supposed to help suppress your appetite (I have not done this but watched people who have). It's extreme and crazy if you ask me.
  • gnalani
    gnalani Posts: 126
    Options
    Sounds like the binging portion of the diet is to ensure that people quickly jack up their weight with water retention. I can be up a few pounds of water weight the morning after eating out -- can't imagine if I took all the limits off and ate til I felt noticeably full constantly for two days! No wonder people then lose so quickly after continuing on with the diet... and it must feel absolutely horrible.
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It makes me nauseous just to read that. People are desperate for an answer that gets results but doesn't require long term commitment. In the end they will see what a bad idea this is but in the meantime you can't influence them if they don't want to listen to reason.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Well, I could follow the first two days of that diet. Hell, I do that every Thanksgiving and Christmas.

But the rest? No, no, no. No 500 cals/day unless I have food poisoning. Or am recovering from food poisoning and just can't stand the look or smell of food. Stupid me didn't consider marketing Staph toxins as a diet strategy. I mean, so what if I was so weak I had to sit down every couple of hundred feet or fall over?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Ridiculous diet is ridiculous lol. I cannot tell you how many times people have asked me how I lost the weight and I watched their eyes glaze over when I tell them, "Counting calories and exercise." *shrug*
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Scamalama ding-dong! lol :p
  • BuddhaMom74
    Options
    [/quote]
    ...but acted like i was crazy when i suggested calorie counting and fitness pal saying "i don't think that would work. You can't just eat whatever you want. Everybody knows that"
    [/quote]

^^ This!!
    I have one co-worker taking "Skinny Fibre and another who calculates an amino acid to protein ratio on everything telling me I'm "not doing it right"! ...umm...as of today, I've lost 30.5lbs (since mid-July), and you've lost...nothing...but yeah...I'M doing it wrong!! :)
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Magic omni drops?
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm pizza =P
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    This diet isn't that pregnancy hormone thing, is it? HCG?
  • KaroshiQueen
    KaroshiQueen Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It's an HCG diet of sorts. The drops don't work. I've done a similar diet twice, with decent results, but I would not do anything HCG-ish again. Ketosis is what makes it work. The drops don't do anything for you except drain your wallet. VLCD is good for very short-term solutions relating to health problems, but it's not sustainable long-term and shouldn't be, either. Also very dangerous for diabetics or anyone with blood sugar issues.
  • terem00
    terem00 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    ...but acted like i was crazy when i suggested calorie counting and fitness pal saying "i don't think that would work. You can't just eat whatever you want. Everybody knows that"
    [/quote]

^^ This!!
    I have one co-worker taking "Skinny Fibre and another who calculates an amino acid to protein ratio on everything telling me I'm "not doing it right"! ...umm...as of today, I've lost 30.5lbs (since mid-July), and you've lost...nothing...but yeah...I'M doing it wrong!! :)
    [/quote]

I have this co-worker whose lost somewhere near 30lbs in the past 30 days..HE eats 1000 calories a day, has a "shake" as a meal replacement and detoxes once a week. He brags all day everyday at the office about his "diet"
    He tries to tell me what I should and shouldn't be eating and that my food is all high calorie and no good for me..i've lost over 70lbs and gone down 10 sizes in the past 2 years and HE feels the need to tell me what to do??? All I can do is smile, nod and roll my eyes.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    They probably assume i'm lying when i say "i just ate jack in the box today and feel great. As long as i stay under my calories, i eat whatever the hell i want".

Mmmm Jack in the Box tacos <3
  • chr1st1na6464
    chr1st1na6464 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Well, if you are old enough to remember the 80's, we've been inundated with weight loss plans...I can remember when going to the gym became popular, that may have been late 70's...it was THE thing to do. There was low-fat, low-carb, liquid diets...so many ways to lose weight! We had really thin role models to emulate. I know I hated my curves because I looked awful in Levi straight leg jeans. Which are designed for a man's shape, btw. I feel like we've grown up with this culture of anti-fat...we aren't supposed to eat. How many women don't eat what they want to when eating with other women? I can't tell you how many times I've heard a woman say, "I'm going to have to run tonight to work off this half of brownie. I'm so full!" I've tried it all...including not eating at all. The joke is on us...because all of these diets are ways to GAIN weight. That's right. Oh, you lose at first, but then you gain it back plus more. That's why I love the simple science of counting calories. It works!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    OMG, that diet sounds awesome. I would love to eat an endless smorg of junk for two days straight!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpPRZJdoL2KhS80-073R6lXbMk24O063NvnF5y1i4tkynlI57A
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    A diet that insists that I load up on cake and cookies and pizza and ice cream for two whole days??

df80244e5d67407ea7b8105ae05aee8e.jpg

I know right??
  • nomoredoughnuts
    nomoredoughnuts Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    "Steak days are not only helpful in Phase 3 but also in Life as needed. "

Is this meant to be general advice or...? lol
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    People are insane!!