Needing something new and easy

Options
I am a bust wife, student, mom, and employee do you guys have any ideas for a healthy and quick meal?

Replies

• kiwigal1956
    Options
    do you own a slow cooker? They are my all time favourite types of equipment in my kitchen these days... I can put on some lamb/beef - flavour it up with salt and pepper and either fresh herbs - put it on slow for the whole day - the meat is ever so tender and tasty - all you need do is steam from green vegetables and voila! Done. Stir fry Asian vegetables are easy too. (add some cooked chicken, or thin slices of marinated beef) heaps of recipes to choose from online. :)
    -
  • annael25
    annael25 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Definitely invest in a slow cooker if you don't have one! They definitely come in handy. Today, I cut up some pork chops and butternut squash, added some spices, and let it cook for 5 hours. Yesterday, I made homemade chicken soup. You just do the prep work and walk away!

I'm a student taking an intense 8-month course, so I don't have a lot of time to cook -- I can only imagine what you're going through!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    http://thai-foodie.com/thaifood/thai-style-lettuce-wraps-nam-prik-ong-น้ำพริกอ่อง/

Nam Prik Ong is essentially spicy Thai bolognese sauce for dipping raw veg in. Recipe above calls for pork mince, but I normally use beef. Very easy and tasty.
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I like to make big things on the weekends, then use those 'leftovers' as a base for a different recipe. I'll make a pot roast- then use the leftovers for a stew, or shred the beef for taco/burrito filling or bbq. Rotisserie chicken becomes soup, chicken salad, taco/burrito, or just to top a green salad. I'll make a big batch of spaghetti sauce with beef or ground turkey, then freeze in containers- some indi servings, and a couple "family" servings. same with taco fillings, sloppy joe sauce. I'll roast or crock pot bone in chicken breasts, or thighs, then remove meat and freeze in 2 cups/container. Use this as easy base to make anything you want. I prep salad, veggies, etc on the weekends as well. I make soups and chilis, and freeze in indi servings. I'll put lean pork chops and boneless skinless chicken breasts and thighs in a marinade and then freeze. pull out and thaw in fridge overnight and the marinate. no thinking/remembering needed! Grill or broil and voila.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestions about the slow cooker - it is a life saver for busy people away from the house for a period of time. Some of my favorites with that include:

Salsa Chicken - this can literally be two ingredients, 4 or more chicken breasts (even frozen) and a jar of salsa (red or green). Cook on low for 4-6 hours. You can also add things like frozen corn and black beans, a can of rotel, etc. Shred it and serve it over rice for burrito bowls or use it as enchilada or taco filling, or sometimes I do that and then the next day I add a quart of chicken broth and some spices and turn it into tortilla soup.

Slow Cooker BBQ - really this can be any meat you like (beef, pork or chicken). We do a pork shoulder, with a bottle of BBQ sauce and a can of coke or dr pepper if you have it. Cook all day and then pull it apart and serve it on buns.

Another of my latest favorite recipes, is Italian Chicken with Potatoes and Veggies.
    Get a bag of new potatoes and halve or quarter them. Lay those down the side of a 9x13 pan. Then next to those, arrange 4 chicken breasts, and next to that, a bag of fresh or frozen green beans (or broccoli or carrots or whatever veggie you prefer). Then sprinkle a packet of Good Seasons Italian Dressing (dry) over everything. Melt a stick of butter and pour that over the whole pan. Cover with foil and bake on 350 for about an hour. It's quick to prepare, maybe not quick to cook, but super easy and my whole family liked it.

I also agree with the prepping meals ahead of time on the weekend which makes things simpler on busy weeknights.

• Mapanggulo
    Mapanggulo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty easy meal to make and isn't bed calorie/health wise (at least I think so).

http://ifoodreal.com/no-pre-cooking-crock-pot-taco-soup-recipe/

There are some other great recipes on that site too...my favorite is the "Thai Chicken Spaghetti Squash Bowl" (it's more time-consuming but very delicious).
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    also.. i like www.skinnytaste.com for recipes.. at least inspiration. I tend to add more of the spices/seasoning than the recipe calls for. otherwise, it has a great selection of lower cal, lower fat, some gluten free, and many "clean" recipes.
  • Sleaterkitty
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    ahill196 wrote: »
    Needing something new and easy

Thought this was a dating solicitation. Disappointed.

lolz
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
  • ANewCrystal4Life
    ANewCrystal4Life Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

This sounds really good I think I will try this and use Cauliflower rice instead!