Concerned for Hubby. 6' 122 pounds. He desperately needs to gain & I need to lose

Options
Balaru
Balaru Posts: 203 Member
If I could switch with him we'd be perfect. I'm 5'8" @ 198 and he's 6 foot and just got o the scale. I saw it with my own eyes. Really concerned. How do I fatten him up and slim me down. Maybe if we ran at each other like Freaky Friday. Any tips would be appreciated.

Replies

• TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Yikes! Share your food with him. I would think he needs a doctor. That is way too thin.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    He's significantly underweight. Has he recently lost weight? If yes, he needs to see a doctor.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Why is he so thin? Depending on the answer, you might get different advice.
  • Tbaby1514
    Tbaby1514 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    He's extremely under weight for his height. Are there any concerns that he may have an eating disorder? If not, I'd really consider adding higher calorie healthy items to his diet like peanut butter, beans, avocados, red meats etc.
  • retropactum
    retropactum Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I agree, he should probably see a doc since there could be something else going on. That being said, I also know how stubborn men can be (sorry guys). Keep in mind, it's totally possible (and plausible) to put on weight with "health" foods while you lose with portion control.
  • Everburg16
    Options
    Uh, my Husband is 6'2 and 130 lbs. He's just naturally very slender, always has been. Unless his eating habits have changed and he's not eating enough, there's no need to be concerned.
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It is much harder to gain lean mass than to lose fat. Three colorful, protein based meals. 2 hours or so after the meal, drink a meal replacement shake. I assume you want him to gain lean mass and not just fat.
  • ChrisM32205
    ChrisM32205 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Some guys are naturally just thin. Like others have said.. has he lost weight recently?
  • agaraffa
    agaraffa Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm 6' and when I was in my early 20's I quit drinking and decided to lose my beer gut, I got down to 123 lbs. Everyone thought I was too thin, but I felt great... I had lots of energy and was actually pretty strong. I wouldn't worry about it unless there are other health issues.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Does he look/seem healthy? I realize a few men have said they have been about that weight but I just can't really imagine. Not at 6 feet at least.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Your husband must be ill. He should be tested for hyperthyroidism. His metabolism must be really fast this is typical of hyperthyroidism. I worked at an eating disorders clinic once and a woman came who thought she might be anorexic but she had hyperthyroidism.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    At 5'6 I was a thin woman in the 120 range. A 6' man, I can't think that is healthy. Again, has he always been this thin? Has there been recent weight loss? How many calories does he eat?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Has he always been this way or has his weight changed recently? How is his appetite? Does he skip meals? Has he seen a doctor?

My dh lost 20 lbs in the last 6 months after going on a new medication that really caused his appetite to go away. He isn't too thin yet but doesn't want to lose more at this point. Since he has trouble eating, we got some meal replacement shakes for him.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    One of my friends is 6'5" and 149lbs. He can't gain weight. He eats lollies and chips and drinks coke all day, and his meals are so huge they're bulging off a dinner plate (I know what he eats I lived with him for 18 months). I worked it out one day just for lols and he would consume 4000 cals a day, most days. He also has a 4yo, doesn't work, and sits on his *kitten* on the computer all day. Does literally nothing. There's nothing physically wrong with him (yes, he's been to the Doctor).

Explain that CICO people. There are so many variables at play in our bodies, you can't possibly condense it down to a simplistic theory and say it fits everyone. It doesn't.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    How do you slim yourself down? Easy! Eat less white carbs, quit sweets, more protein, a lot more vegetables, more fruit, whole dairy, more lentils, beans, chickpeas, health fats. Eating less meat makes it easier to eat more vegetables too.

Don't bother with the exercise until you are slimmer and then find something that is social and will keep you interested long into the future.

My quit sweets plan has me now in a state after 10 months where i don't care if i never eat them again to be honest, though of course i will. I just don't buy them for myself or eat them at home. I experimented with sugarless sweets for a while but it wasn't a great idea in the end. I do eat a lot of fresh fruit stewed and uncooked and just the other day i bought some frozen berries for the first time which i eat heated up in the microwave with unsweetenened yoghurt.

I put small amounts of seeds or nuts on my salads and fruit.

My food is delicious if i say so myself.

I cook a fair bit. If i had to work 5 days a week, this would be a bit harder. if i had kids and husband who didn't want to eat healthy, as well, i don't know how i'd cope . I don't think you can lose weight and be slim if you eat out all the time.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    This is really a medical question and should be answered by this man's doctor. Many men are not likely to seek medical advice, so the only advice we can give is to encourage him to make an appointment.
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Are you sure the scale is right, since it's a home scale? (That would sure be a mixed blessing for you, though :-( )

I also find it startling, and FWIW I live in a developing country where very thin is a norm and was going through weight charts with relatives over the last few days (since I'm doing this MFP thing) and even my super-mega-skinny 24-year-old nephew (almost 6 feet) turned out to be about 132. And trust me, when I get off the plane after being in the States, everyone here looks totally anorexic. (Different lifestyles etc, it's not starvation or some other third world stereotype, the average person is just smaller and thinner.)

I'd get a second scale opinion. And if he's due for a checkup, I'm sure the doctor will weigh him. I don't doubt what some folks said about being 6 feet and 120-ish, but given that he's beating some of the thinnest folks on earth, it's definitely worth checking out.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    In general, we should not be diagnosing people's physical conditions. This man could be perfectly fine and just be genetically pre-disposed to be thin. None of us would have any idea. He should seek professional advice to find out one way or another.
  • RISEOFPATRIOTS
    RISEOFPATRIOTS Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Everburg16 wrote: »
    Uh, my Husband is 6'2 and 130 lbs. He's just naturally very slender, always has been. Unless his eating habits have changed and he's not eating enough, there's no need to be concerned.
    Sorry but not even a small frame tall man his height can be that light. He should at least be like 20-45 lbs heavier