So 300 hundred pounds and excercise #HelpPlease!

Options
2»

Replies

• karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad about Zumba. I'm at my goal weight now, but I have zero coordination. Every time I've done Zumba I feel like a clumsy ox. Elliptical machine would be great for you. Weights too, as others have suggested, and get a heart rate monitor too. Your burn sounds pretty low. I think you're burning much more than that.

hahahahhahah yesss i believe feeling miserable part must have to be related in part to my absolute lack of coordination. already order a polar HRM today, tx u for the advise !
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Walking (outside in the real world) swimming. Find something you like and want to do. You do not need to go to a gym or join a class to exercise
  • amann_84
    amann_84 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I started out at 412lbs and basically the only think I could do was walk. Eventually worked up to the elliptical then took up running as my fitness improved.
  • jlseaman13
    jlseaman13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you for taking your health in your own hands! I'm older and my weight is taking a bit longer to come off. I work with some others who started higher than you and we have a friendly competition going. What is working for them is to eliminate soda and white flour products, and just simply walking. It is easy on your knees, but very beneficial. The gym is great too, but on those days when you do not feel motivated to go for whatever reason, take a brisk walk. The point is to just get moving and stay moving, and replace the empty calories with things that will nourish your body. Hang in there!
  • gemenii13
    gemenii13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was close to where you are. 285 pounds.
    A doctor told me to go back to old school... counting calories.
    Myfitnesspal is a great tool. doc says if you burn off more calories than you take in then you will lose weight.
    Sounds like you are on the right track.
    Use the myfitnesspal to monitor your calorie intake.
    Want to eat more then exercise more ;o)
    Walking is mostly what I did to lose.
    Tie mapmywalk with myfitnesspal to shed those pounds.
    Don't get discouraged...!!!
    If you mess up one day, get right back into it the next.
    Good luck to you.
  • just4jilly
    just4jilly Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Start slow. I am about your weight and I am walking. I tried to do too much to fast and hurt myself. One KEY piece of advice... Invest in some good shoes with good support. Buy inserts if you need too, believe me, it is vital!
  • ChrisM32205
    ChrisM32205 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Your best results are going to be from a change in diet. Exercise helps to increase weight loss but the most bang for your buck is going to be in your diet.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    just4jilly wrote: »
    Start slow. I am about your weight and I am walking. I tried to do too much to fast and hurt myself. One KEY piece of advice... Invest in some good shoes with good support. Buy inserts if you need too, believe me, it is vital!

yes! i will, the shoes that i was using already got me hurt a nail or something cause it's turning purple. Tx u :)
  • annael25
    annael25 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm at 329 now, but was at 343 last week. I was down to 315 a few months ago and was stuck, so I just gave up. I found that I'm losing weight faster this time because I completely changed up my diet. No pop, lots of water, veggies/fruits, not as many carbs. Before, I was exercising like crazy and not losing, so what you eat does count for a lot.

Like others have said, Zumba is high intensity. You burn a tonne of calories in a very short amount of time. What you're doing now sounds awesome -- that's a lot in a day!

If you're into dancing games, try Just Dance. Make sure you move your feet while you play though. There's not as much motivation to move your feet because it doesn't track those movements -- it just tracks your arms/hands, but do it anyway. You'll sweat and it's a good workout!

Definitely swim. It's very low impact, but you still get a great workout.
  • Jaywalker_7
    Jaywalker_7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone saying to do something you enjoy that you'll continue! Sounds like you're off to a great start so far! I started at 325 and am currently at 265. When I first started this journey everyone told me that I shouldn't run cuz of my joints and whatnot since I was so big. But I wanted to run. So I ran. I had to walk a lot in between and I was suuuuper slow, but it was something I enjoyed and have stuck with. If you're moving, that's great! Keep up the excellent work!
  • Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    Yay sounds like you're doing great. I wonder if it would be good to cut that excersise time down to 45 mins and then do a couple of weights sessions with a trainer each week too. I only say that because once before I went all gung ho and was spending long sessions in the gym so ended up tired out and fed up. I think you're doing fantastic though :-)
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I started at 360 pounds. When I started, I did 1 hour nautulus equipment. The gym had a tour that teaches you how to use it and track your progress. Your gym should have someone to show you how to use them too, you're PAYING membership so take advantage of what they offer. For cardio, I did very similar to you. I started with walking, elliptical and recumbent bicycle. 360 pounds was REALLY hard on my joints. I found it difficult for my joints to walk faster, but my lungs were keeping up just fine, so to add intensity over time, I kept my pace slow, but just increased the incline to get a better work out. I also added more and more time to the elliptical each week. Honestly, the recumbent bicycle wasn't a great use of gym time because it doesn't really do a whole lot for me physically, but MENTALLY it's just so relaxing to sit there and cycle away while my body cooled down from going hard ont he elliptical and watch Maury Povich on the gym TV so I'd do just that at the end of my cardio.

Now for classes, I LOVE zumba. It's fun for me BUT I took dance until I was 15, and I continued doing various kinds of social and folk dancing throughout my life, so getting the steps was pretty easy. For you if you're not used to this type of movement it might take you longer to catch on. It's ok, just do what you can. Also, when you have a larger body, it's sometimes IMPOSSIBLE to make those quick movements that people with smaller body's can do. So I just improvise. Instead of turning side to side, maybe I'd just shift the weight on my feet. Also I couldn't do a lot of the jumping so I'd just step through it. I was also very careful of my knees. Zumba can be really hard on the knees when your very heavy, so I avoided a lot of the twisting motions or just did them slightly. Don't be afraid to modify. It's YOUR CLASS. YOU PAID FOR IT.

If Zumba isn't for you, try step-aerobics. When you are first starting out, just use the platform without any risers. Heck.. when I first started I only used the platform for half the class and had to kick it away and do all the motions on the floor... AND that was a "silver" class intended for senior citizens... But at 360 pounds it's even hard to keep up with granny!