How did you determine your goal weight?

Options

Replies

• loiscoles
    loiscoles Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was only 25lbs from my goal weight when I started. So I chose a weight I thought I could lose a dress size or 2 by. So I picked it based on the dress size I'd like to be.

However, I may lose another few if I'm not happy with the weight when I get there
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I picked a weight that was in the healthy range for someone of my height and build, though well over my weight at my lightest, then reassessed when I got there. And reassessed again. My current goal is 20 lb. lighter than my initial one. But I'm more focused on fitness and body fat.
  • Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    My goal weight has changed as I've lost weight. I'm now aiming for 65 kg, I started around 110 and am now 77. My first goal was 85 then 70 but I've changed that to 65 but think I will aim for 60 ultimately. I think it's good to change it as you go :-)))
  • ParamoreAddict
    ParamoreAddict Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh 180 pounds in my early 20s. That's when I felt really good about my appearance. Started off at 297 and down to 237 now. Over halfway there! :)
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I just tossed in the last weight I had as an athlete competing in a 185 pound weight division. Consult a BMI chart, then just pick a number.
    They key is not so much a number but that you begin with a goal you can remain passionate about. Aim high, but be reasonable.
    Set mini goals starting with 1 pound per week weight loss.
    Good Luck - you can do this!
    - <3
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I chose the weight I was for most of my adult life before I gained weight after getting married happy and comfortable lol That goal weight is going to be flexible depending on my body fat% when I reach it, and then as I continue to strength train and build more muscle the number on the scale will be less of a focus.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I had super small goals, so every 5 pounds I would shoot for another 5 pounds. Eventually I saw the bigger picture. I decided on something int he 130s because I hold most of my weight in my butt and legs, and don't really think much lower than 135 if appropriate.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I didn't really pick one. It picked me. I had several goal weights, but then just kept losing until my body bottomed out at probably a too low weight of 101 a year ago. Now I'm up to 105. I guess that's my new normal. Also, probably a little too low though, but it was what I weighed up until I graduated college, so it might be okay even though I'm 40 now. Not sure. All the weight loss is a little strange to me.
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I started with a loss of 10% because this would halve my heart attack risk. That achieved I set another 10% loss target. The steps give a sense of achievement and provide a point to reflect and reassess. It also gives a point at which you can reward yourself for being a "good loser".
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I picked 115 because that's low enough that it's a healthy weight for my height and that I know I will feel good, fit into clothes better, and overall look better and be happier... but high enough that I can probably maintain it. In the past, I've targeted ten pounds less than that, which is where I got to when I felt the best. But I was never able to maintain at that low a weight.

If I get to my GW and maintain it for a while, I'll work on body composition and lean muscle mass, as opposed to focusing on the number on the scale.
  • WildOkapi
    Options
    I initially went by BMI/body frame size, but I definitely suggest trying for a certain body fat percentage as your goal rather than a specific weight. Unfortunately, I've found 2 different methods to calculate an ideal weight based on body fat percentage and they give two different weights - in my case, a difference of almost 10 pounds.

Lean body mass = current body weight - (current body weight *current body fat percentage)

http://www.trainonline.com/fitness-glossary/figuring-out-your-ideal-weight
    1. (Lean body weight * desired body fat percentage) + lean body weight = goal weight

And http://www.roulacrews.com/resources/body-fat-percentages-lean-body-mass/
    2. (Current body weight * desired body fat percentage) = desired body fat weight
    >Desired body fat weight + lean weight = goal weight
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    I actually discussed it with my doc years ago (well before I actually started losing) and settled on a number slightly higher than normally ideal for medical reasons. But when I get there I'll reassess and maybe discuss with the doc again since my health has been stable *knock on wood*.

Also I'll have to see what clothes I have in the back of the closet that fit me at that weight. No sense losing more anytime soon if I won't own any clothes that fit reasonably well - I can't afford a new wardrobe.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Have all my fat bits gone? If yes I'm at my goal, if no then I need to keep on losing.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I chose the person's goal weight at the bottom of page and added 78 pounds.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    I chose the person's goal weight at the bottom of page and added 78 pounds.

Heh. :smiley:

• ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I picked a number that matched a healthy BMI for my height and frame size.
  • akboy58
    akboy58 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It keeps shifting. At 255 lbs my goal was to lose 10% of my then-bodyweight, but then I kind of got hooked. I've just passed my interim goal weight of 200 lbs, and am now heading towards 180 lbs, which is a more-or-less random BMI-based figure -- and then we'll see!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I picked my maximum BMI if I had an average frame...I'm actually large framed and am generally happy with how I look now, 10lbs above it ...but I'm going to slowly drop and see how I feel
  • wmcmurray61
    wmcmurray61 Posts: 192 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I chose a weight smack in the middle of the healthy BMI range for my height and age. Now that I am 7 lbs from that goal I am looking at my belly and am not satisfied. If I get to my goal weight and am still not happy with my belly, I am going on maintainance and will bust my butt lifting weights. After everything I have read on MFP, I think it's the way to go.

Edited to say, I waited way too long to start strength training. I am only 6 weeks into it, doing body weight lifts, and I should have done it from the beginning. Oh, well. Better late than never!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    A combination. Photographs from younger days, others' opinions, BMI/body fat % at goal weight, and finally, amount of calories that would be maintenance. I don't want to get to where less than 1500 cals is maintenance because I won't be able to maintain such a low intake permanently. So given that I am five three and medium framed I have chosen 120 lb as my goal. The doctor and the nutritionist think this is reasonable.