Best Equipment for gaining muscle?

So I'm gaining muscle so I need equipment to help me out. I can't go to a gym, so it's hard for me to get access to all different things. What are the best items I can use or buy (that I don't need to go to a gym for)? What weights should I get? I'm also on a bit of a budget so nothing too expensive >.<

Replies

• glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Lift heavy things. If you are on a budget, don't buy anything. Find things to lift. Plenty of opportunities. Work on strength in place training such as pull ups (find a bar), squats, planks and other equally challenging ways to strength train.
  • I can get an efficient and challenging workout at home with a kettlebell, exercise ball, and dumbells. As to what weight you should get, there are plenty of opinions to go around, but whatever you do, choose a weight that is challenging yet allows you to maintain the right form throughout your workout. For example, lifting 100 lbs does you little favors if you're hunching over and straining your back.

Amazon.com has the basic equipment, so does Perform Better, and even a local Ross/Marshalls/Kohls! Good luck!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    benhead280 wrote: »
    So I'm gaining muscle so I need equipment to help me out. I can't go to a gym, so it's hard for me to get access to all different things. What are the best items I can use or buy (that I don't need to go to a gym for)? What weights should I get? I'm also on a bit of a budget so nothing too expensive >.<

if you're eating at a deficit, you won't gain muscle...

Depends.

• MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    benhead280 wrote: »

Do whatever you think you will stick with. I'm fan of compound movements done with a barbell.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Food? You need to be eating in a surplus. I'd also recommend a program that includes progressive resistance training. Many people associate that with lifting heavy weights (requires a gym membership or a barbell, cage, and weights). However, there are lots of programs that don't require that much equipment. Convict Conditioning and You Are Your Own Gym are both programs that don't require any equipment at all.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    edited October 2014
    If you're on a really tight budget, check out the books Convict Conditioning and You Are Your Own Gym. Both concentrate on exercises which use only the weight of your body, so no equipment is necessary.

If you have a bit more money to spend, probably the most versatile bit of equipment is a set of adjustable dumbbells which go up to 50 lbs. Expect to pay up to $300 for them, but they will last a lifetime.

If you can't go that far, look on Craigslist for free weight sets. You can often get really great deals dirt cheap. It's not like weights go bad.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    a year at the gym is cheaper than the set to lift at home.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    dbmata wrote: »

Not really. I got a bar, 4 45lb plates and 2 25lb plates on craigslist for 100 bucks. That is plenty of weight for most ppl to start with.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Your own bodyweight is free.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    The best equipment is your brain. It's capable of learning valuable things like proper form, the importance of rest and the right nutrition to fuel gains. It also provides the mental drive to push yourself beyond your comfort zone.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    dbmata wrote: »

And year two it's cheaper because a home gym is a one-time cost. My home gym, upon completion, will cost about USD 2000 and be good to use for a significant part of the remainder of my life.