Weightlifting for children

Options

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I've actually had to study this a little bit in school and there is no reason not train healthy adolescents. It can start with something as bodyweight exercises and move resistance training. It seems the keeping weight at and lighter than their 6RM is acceptable. Either way, the kids just need to have good supervision.

I've actually heard people say that kids shouldn't do plyometrics. Well if that's the case then we better ban kids from doing layups and rebounding in basketball, jumping for a pass in football, swinging a baseball bat, jump rope, etc. The intensity just needs to be monitored.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    My daughter is a gymnast and right now limited by her strength for some of their moves. she has her dumbbells but wants to go with me and lift But our rec center has a 14 year old limit. pretty soon to be competing:) good work parents!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    My son has been competing with me in powerlifting since he was 11 years old. He has no developmental issues, etc... that everyone said he would have. He trains really heavy just like I do but I am very strict about constantly improving his technique. At 11 years old he deadlifted 205lbs at 97lbs bw after 3 months of training. Now he is 13 and is closing in on a 315 deadlift at 125lbs. My point is that kids can train and they can do so with high intensity as long as it is executed properly. People seem to think that kids need to lift baby weights or they'll get hurt. If that were true then every kid that grew up on a farm or a ranch would have died a horrible death by now.

Thats awesome. Some serious weight.

We are working on the "executed properly" for now. Dont know if they would be interested in power lifting or just recreational lifting like my wife and I.

There does seem to be an aversion to weight lifting for kids and even some adults. She could hang from a monkey bar supporting 65lbs but if you put 65lbs on a dead lift bar people will panic. You can put them on a skate board, roller skates, bikes and so on but weight lifting would be seen as a danger.

I admit I was one of them before I looked into it and it made sense once I thought about it.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    My son has been competing with me in powerlifting since he was 11 years old. He has no developmental issues, etc... that everyone said he would have. He trains really heavy just like I do but I am very strict about constantly improving his technique. At 11 years old he deadlifted 205lbs at 97lbs bw after 3 months of training. Now he is 13 and is closing in on a 315 deadlift at 125lbs. My point is that kids can train and they can do so with high intensity as long as it is executed properly. People seem to think that kids need to lift baby weights or they'll get hurt. If that were true then every kid that grew up on a farm or a ranch would have died a horrible death by now.

That's really awesome Lofteren. How heavy in relation to 1RM do you actually push the loading with him? How often do you train him?
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    My 6 year old always want to try out my dumbells. So I let her do a little bit. I try to encourage to exercise when the mood strikes her. A couple nights ago she made up her own little circuit course, including wall sits and jumping jacks. Next time she asks to use the dumbells I'll feel better about letting her use them
  • goalpeace
    goalpeace Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I definitely want my kids to join me at the gym with some weight lifting! Right now motivating THEM to exercise is what gets me up early in the a.m. enough for them to see me lifting while they are getting ready for school.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    You guys don't know how happy I am to see the lack of morons in this thread talking about growth stunting. It's awesome that all you guys are allowing your kids to participate.

I would also, but she's only 2

Now you jinxed it. :smile: Hopefully they read the links and set there minds at ease. It is a common myth running around though.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    You guys don't know how happy I am to see the lack of morons in this thread talking about growth stunting. It's awesome that all you guys are allowing your kids to participate.

I would also, but she's only 2

+1, also book marking for future reference point because I am sure this discussion will come up again.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

That's really awesome Lofteren. How heavy in relation to 1RM do you actually push the loading with him? How often do you train him?

He trains 3 days a week with weights, he does kickboxing 2 days a week and has football 5 days a week. In the powerlifting off season (read: football season)we work up to max sets of 5 reps usually but leading up to a meet we will taper the reps and increase the intensity gradually until he hits a few singles at 90-95% of his goal weights. Then he'll deload for a week and then compete. After a comp he takes another week or two off of weights.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I try to limit his "grinders" to on the platform. If he can't lift it with a smooth cadence, which could be slow as long as it never sticks, then he doesn't do it in training. Taking small weight increases between heavier sets protects against this.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I don't think the physiological aspect is an issue. I would be more concerned with them having the maturity to use strict form in a disciplined manner. If they have that then go for it.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    My kids want to lift with me. My 11yo would be able to focus enough for form, but my 7yo has the attention span of a fish.

But they recently came up with their own bodyweight "training schedule" lol
    Pushups, planks, squats and a few other things. The 7yo does it once and the 11yo does it through twice. They have done it every morning except on the mornings when the 11yo is at swim training (3x week at 5am :smile: ).

The best bit? They can both do proper toe pushups, and my 11yo girl can beat all the boys in her class - she's pretty chuffed with that :smiley:
  • dieter1200
    dieter1200 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would worry if they lifted too heavy. I remember this guy in 7th grade who had big muscled arms, bragged how he had been lifting weights since he was 10. But the problem was his arms were extremely short in proportion to his body. I asked my parents about it and they told me that too heavy lifting can damage your growth plates. I would do more research before I let a child lift heavy, so no permanent damage is done.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    edited October 2014
    Options
    dieter1200 wrote: »
    I would worry if they lifted too heavy. I remember this guy in 7th grade who had big muscled arms, bragged how he had been lifting weights since he was 10. But the problem was his arms were extremely short in proportion to his body. I asked my parents about it and they told me that too heavy lifting can damage your growth plates. I would do more research before I let a child lift heavy, so no permanent damage is done.

The whole first half of this thread was the research. I would be happy to read anything in regards to growth plate damage resulting from heavy lifting if you have it though.

Multiple sources I found claim that it is a myth.
    http://www.acsm.org/access-public-information/articles/2012/01/13/youth-strength-training-facts-and-fallacies
    Myth: Strength training will stunt the growth of children.
    Fact: There is no current evidence to indicate a decrease in stature in children who regularly strength train in a supervised environment with qualified instruction. In all likelihood, participation in weight-bearing physical activities (including strength training) will have a favorable influence on growth at any stage of development but will not affect a child’s genetic height potential.
  • dieter1200
    dieter1200 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/tween-and-teen-health/in-depth/strength-training/art-20047758

"Strength training: OK for kids?
    Strength training offers kids many benefits, but there are important caveats to keep in mind. Here's what you need to know about youth strength training. By Mayo Clinic Staff

Strength training for kids? You bet! Done properly, strength training offers many bonuses to young athletes. Strength training is even a good idea for kids who simply want to look and feel better. In fact, strength training can put your child on a lifetime path to better health and fitness.
    Strength training, not weightlifting

For kids, light resistance and controlled movements are best — with a special emphasis on proper technique and safety. Your child can do many strength training exercises with his or her own body weight or inexpensive resistance tubing. Free weights and machine weights are other options.

Don't confuse strength training with weightlifting, bodybuilding or powerlifting. These activities are largely driven by competition, with participants vying to lift heavier weights or build bigger muscles than those of other athletes. This can put too much strain on young muscles, tendons and areas of cartilage that haven't yet turned to bone (growth plates) — especially when proper technique is sacrificed in favor of lifting larger amounts of weight. "

I guess I confused strength training with weightlifting
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options
    dieter1200 wrote: »
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/tween-and-teen-health/in-depth/strength-training/art-20047758

"Strength training: OK for kids?
    Strength training offers kids many benefits, but there are important caveats to keep in mind. Here's what you need to know about youth strength training. By Mayo Clinic Staff

Strength training for kids? You bet! Done properly, strength training offers many bonuses to young athletes. Strength training is even a good idea for kids who simply want to look and feel better. In fact, strength training can put your child on a lifetime path to better health and fitness.
    Strength training, not weightlifting

For kids, light resistance and controlled movements are best — with a special emphasis on proper technique and safety. Your child can do many strength training exercises with his or her own body weight or inexpensive resistance tubing. Free weights and machine weights are other options.

Don't confuse strength training with weightlifting, bodybuilding or powerlifting. These activities are largely driven by competition, with participants vying to lift heavier weights or build bigger muscles than those of other athletes. This can put too much strain on young muscles, tendons and areas of cartilage that haven't yet turned to bone (growth plates) — especially when proper technique is sacrificed in favor of lifting larger amounts of weight. "

I guess I confused strength training with weightlifting

Thanks for the link. Im not sure I understand the distinction between the strength training and weightlifting when they give free weights and machines as options for strength training. I am going to assume they are talking about Olympic style weightlifting as a sport.

I still have not seen any evidence that growth plate damage has been recorded in all the studies I looked at. There were even a few that tested 1RM's.

Of course none of them are going to test how often and how much it takes to get damage. I think Lofteren has the right idea about how to avoid the potential risk and keeps the heaviest lifting to the actual competitions.