I lost 24 pounds in 3 months (128lbs-104lbs) but then i gained it all back now 128 again

Options
CatalinaJoye
CatalinaJoye Posts: 26 Member
edited October 2014 in Motivation and Support
i have revised my diet to not go under 1200 cals but has anyone else had this experience?

Replies

• mysmileighs
    mysmileighs Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yup. Twice. Lost 50 of 70, gained 25 back. Lost that 25, gained 50 back. Now back to lose the 70. FOR THE LAST TIME. :)

You can do it!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about what went wrong and why you regained? have you put in place a strategy that can avoid regaining the weight you lost?
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    If you are "dieting" rather than making sustainable changes the likelihood of gaining the weight back once you stop "dieting" is very very high....

For me I had to change my entire attitude to food and exercise - forever.....this is not something that has an end date.... I will always have to make good healthy food choices, and ensure that I include exercise and activity in my life. I have been on MFP now for over 4 years, and been maintaining a 110lb loss for the past 3 years - so it is possible - but just because I have decided never to go back to my previous life.
  • jojojo909090
    jojojo909090 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Elleinnz wrote: »
    If you are "dieting" rather than making sustainable changes the likelihood of gaining the weight back once you stop "dieting" is very very high....

For me I had to change my entire attitude to food and exercise - forever.....this is not something that has an end date.... I will always have to make good healthy food choices, and ensure that I include exercise and activity in my life. I have been on MFP now for over 4 years, and been maintaining a 110lb loss for the past 3 years - so it is possible - but just because I have decided never to go back to my previous life.

Excellent advice from someone who knows what they are talking about.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yup I yo yo'd from 2009 until this summer when I hit maitenance (recently decided to lose a bit more) how? couldn't sustain the "diet" I was on, regressed back into old habits...

This time was different because I have learned that I don't have to be hungry, I don't have to do exercise I don't enjoy (treadmill), and I don't have to give up anything.

I can maintain now because I am counting calories, logging accurately, eating what I want just in moderation, exercising because I enjoy it not because I have to...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You RAISED it? How many calories were you eating before?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Such a large percentage of your body weight lost in such a short period of time screams crash diet ... usually an unhealthy and unsustainable approach.
  • CatalinaJoye
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You RAISED it? How many calories were you eating before?

i was on 500-800 cals/day for 3 months but yes very good advice Elleinzz. I have made a sustainable forever plan
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    and you wonder why the weight came back? Your body slipped into starvation mode and when you upped the calories your body is holding onto everything. You should consider upping to at least 1300 min a day. Otherwise you'll be on this wheel for a long time to come....
  • assthetik
    assthetik Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Elleinnz wrote: »

this^ all day long!

• CatalinaJoye
    Options
    Falcon wrote: »
    and you wonder why the weight came back? Your body slipped into starvation mode and when you upped the calories your body is holding onto everything. You should consider upping to at least 1300 min a day. Otherwise you'll be on this wheel for a long time to come....

no actually i dont wonder why i was pretty sure i would gain it back i was fishing on a boat and on the boat i loose appetiet i was only off it for a month in the middle of 3 months and i still felt sick
  • Shauna2626
    Shauna2626 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? 104 seems like a pretty low goal weight. It might be better for you to focus on overall health and fitness rather than just weight loss :) That has worked well for me! Good luck
  • Falcon
    Options
    or just focus on weight training instead. And setting the goal to half a pound a week,,,,
  • cristapp
    Options
    I am also battling with partial re-gain. Am trying very hard to get back to the basics of thinking of it as a healthy lifestyle, and not a diet. The key is not to feel deprived, and find that balance, and healthy portion sizes with some amount of physical activity that works for you uniquely.
  • CatalinaJoye
    Options
    Shauna2626 wrote: »
    How tall are you? 104 seems like a pretty low goal weight. It might be better for you to focus on overall health and fitness rather than just weight loss :) That has worked well for me! Good luck

im 5'2, yes 104 was very thin but for the first time in my life i felt i liked my body which is a huge thing to say because i hated it since gr 6 i am also a recovering bulemic
  • Shauna2626
    Options
    Shauna2626 wrote: »

im 5'2, yes 104 was very thin but for the first time in my life i felt i liked my body which is a huge thing to say because i hated it since gr 6 i am also a recovering bulemic

I am about 5'2" also, and at 128 lbs. I am focusing on being a fit, healthy, and toned 128 lbs, and the lowest I'd want to go now is 125. Previously my mind was set on wanting to weigh 115 lbs, but I later decided that would be too thin for my body type. I also noticed that I was starting to become overly obsessive about weight loss, which was unhealthy.
    Also the lower your weight, the fewer calories you can eat to maintain. So I decided to maintain between 125-130 lbs and focus on being fit and toned overall. Body fat percentage can be more important than just the number on a scale.
    That's just my personal story. Based on height, 104 could be a healthy weight for you, but like other posters said, make sure you make sustainable lifestyle changes and lose weight gradually. I'd also recommend some strength training.
    My point is, it might be worth considering increasing your goal weight and focusing more on other measures of health & fitness besides just weight :-)

• CatalinaJoye
    Options
    personally i think 104 is not a healthy weight for me not that i care, for heavens sake id throw up until i was throwing up blood to get to 104 but it was such an amaziing feeling to be that once in my life, i still want to be to 104 but through healthy eating not starving, overexercise or bulemia
  • Shauna2626
    Options
    Well I commend you for wanting to get there through healthy methods this time! However, if you don't think 104 is a healthy weight for you, then it would be a good idea to change your goal. It doesn't make sense to maintain a weight that isn't healthy for you, and would be hard to do. I have struggled with some body issues too in the past, but now I can truly say I'm happy with my body (and healthy!), and it's a great feeling. It's about more than just a number on the scale. Perhaps you should also seek some professional help for bulimia (if you haven't already). Might make things easier. Best of luck!
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    personally i think 104 is not a healthy weight for me not that i care, for heavens sake id throw up until i was throwing up blood to get to 104 but it was such an amaziing feeling to be that once in my life, i still want to be to 104 but through healthy eating not starving, overexercise or bulemia

Honestly, I think you should be talking to a doctor about this...
  • Falcon
    edited October 2014
    Options

Honestly, I think you should be talking to a doctor about this...

I second the notion.