Depression affecting my diet

Options
I know depression all to well. Its an illness that is so misunderstood, many don't understand until they find themselves there their themselves. It has such a stigma to it, I think stops many people to get the help they need.it was a lot of work to loose about 30 lbs and I don't want to go up and down unless that is part of maintenance. For the last three weeks I have gone way over my goal, lots of times doubled it. Keeping thoughts that I've done it before, I'll be ok and will keep doing it again. I don't want this change be a once in a while change. It's all or nothing and personally I prefer the all. I've been afraid to take measurements, I know it will really bring me down. Scale keeps going up in down, and u try to just remember that I can get different weights at different times of the day, and even into the next day and they have showed 111 - 116 lately. That 116 is so scary for me, if I hadn't if screwed up I truly believe I would be in maintenance at around 110. I guess the points I wanted to make are; 1.0 don't be too hard on myself 2. I've done it once so I know it's possible that I can definitely do it again. 3. I'm not alone, many others have been here in the same spot at some point. And I've .have come to an excellent place to loose this wieght, the program .is do able and the women here are beyond even supportive. If anyone else can offer ways of approaching this I would love to here. The tomorrow's a new day thing hasn't been working for me in a while now.
- Any other points I'd be glad to hear, should you have the time. Thank you

Replies

• beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Medication helps get my butt in gear. Give me a celexa cocktail any day lol.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    How many times are you going to post this topic or similar ? you only posted just about the same thing the other night, as well as several other times within the past month!!! How many responses do you need? I find it very strange.

these are all recent topics of yours. Enough that I remember them very well.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10003115/happy-and-proud-of-my-progress-but-something-is-still-wrong#latest

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/30020707#Comment_30020707

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/21764037#Comment_21764037

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/21763532#Comment_21763532
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Cut out the internal monologue. You're laying the framework for excuses. Do, don't think. (Or if you prefer, you've done the thinking, now is the time for acting.)

Make a small, positive step towards breaking the vicious "I eat because I'm depressed. I'm depressed because I eat." circle. Build on the success of the first small step with more steps and bigger challenges.

Sometimes it's gonna be hard. Sometimes you're gonna mess up. But, it's doable. And you will feel better. Think of yourself as a fighter. Fighters take punches all the time. When you mess up, get off the ground, dust yourself off, get back into the game. You'll feel good about taking it in the gut and having the fortitude to continue on. Growl a little bit. Talk some smack. That helps. <evil grin>

Get out in the sun and just be. No, not be. BE.

Easy in theory, difficult in practice. I know.

Good luck.
  • Adpalangi
    Adpalangi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    How many times are you going to post this topic or similar ? you only posted just about the same thing the other night, as well as several other times within the past month!!! How many responses do you need? I find it very strange.

these are all recent topics of yours. Enough that I remember them very well.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10003115/happy-and-proud-of-my-progress-but-something-is-still-wrong#latest

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/30020707#Comment_30020707

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/21764037#Comment_21764037

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/21763532#Comment_21763532

Sorry it bothers you, no one says you have to stop and view them. I don't know how many times I have or will post my concerns. Not that it isn't any of your business, but I'will ask for help from the community as long as I need or want too. I find it very strange that you feel you should analyze me not to be rude but why would you stop and review if you are finding it so strange?
  • Adpalangi
    Options
    DenDweller wrote: »
    Cut out the internal monologue. You're laying the framework for excuses. Do, don't think. (Or if you prefer, you've done the thinking, now is the time for acting.)

Make a small, positive step towards breaking the vicious "I eat because I'm depressed. I'm depressed because I eat." circle. Build on the success of the first small step with more steps and bigger challenges.

Sometimes it's gonna be hard. Sometimes you're gonna mess up. But, it's doable. And you will feel better. Think of yourself as a fighter. Fighters take punches all the time. When you mess up, get off the ground, dust yourself off, get back into the game. You'll feel good about taking it in the gut and having the fortitude to continue on. Growl a little bit. Talk some smack. That helps. <evil grin>

Get out in the sun and just be. No, not be. BE.

Easy in theory, difficult in practice. I know.

Good luck.

Thank you! I really don't think I find myself depressed because of my screwing up on my calories. My depression has been around most of my grown life, I've been doing well enough that I know what would happen if I gave negative thoughts about the eating, not eating feeling guilty. Not that I wouldn't say that I'm dissappointed in myself. I found your reply motivating. Think I might need lessons to growl, and talk smack. Bet it would feel good!

• Adpalangi
    Options

Yes it does, unfortunately I have to stay on it forever. And that's true I think my 7 meds a day would do something, other than making me tired or dry mouthed and even my hair thinning so badly. I guess it comes a time when you have to look at both and see what's most important And it very well could be meds, it's just very hard to find which one.
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I appreciate this post. I am in a funk right now, and your 3 tips made me feel a little better. I've been struggling with depression since I was 16, and reminding yourself that you have the strength to continue with your goals never gets old.
  • Adpalangi
    Options
    I appreciate this post. I am in a funk right now, and your 3 tips made me feel a little better. I've been struggling with depression since I was 16, and reminding yourself that you have the strength to continue with your goals never gets old.

I'm so sorry your in a funk right now. I'm not gonna feed ya the same old lines that come out of people's mouths whom never had this illness. Instead I will say thank you for your reply and I'm glad that some of my words helped. I don't know about you, but I do know what I need to do, and I can't let the loss of motivation scare me. I sure felt great as it came off, but it's not a good feeling physically or mentally as it goes back on, and that can happen pretty quickly. Thanks so much for your time.....best wishes
  • TheDJTC
    TheDJTC Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Living with my grandparents has taught my how similar depression is to having a terminal illness or just getting old.

I've been in a depressed state the past three weeks and it's been really hard to even make food for myself. I kind of know when it's coming, so I often buy a lot of frozen food so I can make through the storm so to speak.

Though when it lasts over a week there will be a few days I'm so tired I just can't even go to the store to get food.

When you're like this, health and being fit isn't even an option, all there is, is survival.

I've read countless articles, comics, comments and whatnot on depression, and from what I gather it's kind of a sleeping disorder. Like you get a lot of worries, you dream to sort them out, and you wake up exhausted cuz dreaming too much wears you out.

It also explains why depression's been on the rise since the '40s, society has changed to be mentally unhealthy.

Unfortunately the only thing I can say is to research on it. I've read drugs don't actually cure depression, but rather the symptoms. Which equates to getting stoned or drunk when life gets too tough.

Which I can understand why there's so few teetotalers...

In any case, saying "It gets better" sounds like a lie, because it is. "It gets better" is for people who just got depressed over arduous, but ultimately solvable problems. For people who make a life with this, it doesn't get better, you either weather the storm or you're worn down by it.

Though I'd say either take the drug band-aid or get therapy, like the problem-solving kind. Or both, whatever works.

I'm going to try the therapist because as a kid I was on drugs and it ruined my life, so no thanks...
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Adpalangi wrote: »
    I know depression all to well. Its an illness that is so misunderstood, many don't understand until they find themselves there their themselves. It has such a stigma to it, I think stops many people to get the help they need.it was a lot of work to loose about 30 lbs and I don't want to go up and down unless that is part of maintenance. For the last three weeks I have gone way over my goal, lots of times doubled it. Keeping thoughts that I've done it before, I'll be ok and will keep doing it again. I don't want this change be a once in a while change. It's all or nothing and personally I prefer the all. I've been afraid to take measurements, I know it will really bring me down. Scale keeps going up in down, and u try to just remember that I can get different weights at different times of the day, and even into the next day and they have showed 111 - 116 lately. That 116 is so scary for me, if I hadn't if screwed up I truly believe I would be in maintenance at around 110. I guess the points I wanted to make are; 1.0 don't be too hard on myself 2. I've done it once so I know it's possible that I can definitely do it again. 3. I'm not alone, many others have been here in the same spot at some point. And I've .have come to an excellent place to loose this wieght, the program .is do able and the women here are beyond even supportive. If anyone else can offer ways of approaching this I would love to here. The tomorrow's a new day thing hasn't been working for me in a while now.
    - Any other points I'd be glad to hear, should you have the time. Thank you

I'll disclose a bit about myself: I was diagnosed with depression/anxiety around 6-7 years ago. I am currently med free, and did so with my doctor informed. I've been off of them for several years now.

What I have found that has kept my mind and appetite in check, especially now with some of the symptoms creeping back up (gotta love stress and being 7 months away from being done with grad school! Lol), is structure. Stressed out/bored/upset? Go to the gym and bike it out. Hungry? Drink a glass of water, and weigh out some chips and salsa if I still feel hungry after that. Worrying about the number on the scale? Stop! It's just a number, MissFit. Go draw, or do homework, or go outside.

I have structure to force me to get out of bed when I want to lounge around all day. I have structure to help me keep my calorie goals in check. I have structure to get me to the gym to do something positive and constructive with my body, and to do something that uplifts my mood far better than any pill did for me.

It's all about finding that structure that works for you, going through the motions of trial and error, and getting that habit to stick.

Good luck to you. :)
  • Adpalangi
    Options
    Wow mission to fitness. You have really got it all together. I like how you think. Congrats! You have and are doing great!
  • Ruzuki
    Ruzuki Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? For my height (5'3", pretty short), 111 is on the low end of healthy. Id say, if the scale has been being stubborn about going down while you are still being relatively healthy, you might be good where you are, and only have to worry about maintenance... This might be right where your body wants to be.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind also that exercise reduces the symptoms of depression, sometimes even more than drugs. It's hard to make yourself do it, but you'll probably start feeling better when you do.
  • RISEOFPATRIOTS
    RISEOFPATRIOTS Posts: 52 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Cocktails make it worse and alcohol is the last thing you want on a bad day or depressed like crap.