What worked for YOU?

Options

Replies

• wmcmurray61
    wmcmurray61 Posts: 192 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Portion control, (I eat what I WANT) tons of walking, lifting and bicycling as well as surrounding myself with supportive people. 7 lbs left to go until my current goal. 66 lbs lost. It took 18 months and I intend to keep it off for the rest of my life.
  • sazzet
    sazzet Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've been on and off diets all my adult life. I'm fed up!! So this is it! I have to make it work this time. My daughter lost weight, got fit and advised me to join a gym. I'm using her trainer. They both explained how the weight loss process works and how I can benefit from a mix of cardio and strength exercises. I am actually surprised at how it works. I guess learning about how it works is the first thing to know. The trainer told me not to worry about the scale, it's not what counts right now. He takes me for a round of cardio and strength exercises and i can feel the difference after 3 weeks. I go to him three times a week and work out for an hour and half. Half an hour is strength exercises. I am so determined to lose weight that the days I don't go to the gym, I am make sure to get at least an hour of exercise by either swimming or walking the treadmill.

My daughter and I are testing what works for us in food. We eat clean. I was so fed up of people telling me do this diet or do that one. I just eat clean. Even saying clean doesn't say much. But i'll tell you what is working for me. The first week I ate vegetarian, beans, fruits and vegetables. The only fat I eat is olive oil and sesame oil in my stir fry. I eat a quarter to a half a pita bread for breakfast with either beans or mushrooms sautéed in olive oil and garlic. Oatmeal works too. I'm still trying out new things. Before going to my workout, I eat a banana and when I get back home i eat my carbs. The trainer told me to eat carbs right after workouts. That's when they are most useful. I just do it. LOL I also watch my portion size and log everything I eat on MFP. Most of the time I don't eat my exercise calories. After lunch I don't eat till dinner and for dinner I eat fruit making sure i log in everything. I don't eat past 8:00pm. If I am starving and I mean I really need to eat, I go for a few almonds and i even had a bowl of popcorn once. I cooked it in olive oil. It wasn't too bad either.

I'm going vegan for a week and next week I'll go back to vegetarian. My daughter and I will be adding fish the week after. I just eat everything fresh and not processed. No sugar, no flour. You have to test what works for you, but stop eating processed food and soda.

I weighed myself today and I'm down six pounds. Find what works for you and enjoy the food you eat. I love broccoli and sweet potatoes now. Get lots of fibers in your body and eat fresh. Eating healthy doesn't have to be a punishment, it has to be a lifestyle change in which you find alternatives to fattening food you enjoy. Try baked sweet potato chips coated in curry powder or stir fry with rice noodles, broccoli, bok choy, carrots and oyster sauce. How about a salad with cucumbers, avocado, lettuce, a tablespoon of olive oil, wine vinegar and sprinkled with crushed almonds. I made my daughter boiled eggs cut them in half and removed the yolk which i mashed with avocado, mustard, lemon and a bit of curry powder. I told her they were deviled eggs. She loved them!! I make my own falafel at home which i cook in a tbs of olive oil. i make my own pesto with nuts and basil, yum! I used to throw the broccoli stems but now I bake them with herbs till they are crisp, they are a delicious snack and full of fibers. I found seedless dates on the market, I sometimes take a tbs of this paste and and put a nut in and roll it in sesame seeds, it's great when you want something sweet and it's all natural. I'm creating my own healthy recipes. I'll be adding chicken breast and fish to my diet soon, I like vegan but i only used it to detox my body. I feel I need more protein to be healthy. That is just my opinion.

Find what works with you and what won't bore you! Good luck!
  • soozey1
    soozey1 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Nothing worked for me until I did Osha Key's, 21 day detox diet. Cleaned out all my toxins holding me back. Weight loss is now a breeze, I have a couple of kilo's to go, but I am happy where I am and looking forward to the rest of my journey. I am stronger , slimmer and healthier than I was 20 years ago.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    consistancy.... i've got my best results when i have stuck to something for longer than a couple of weeks!
  • mizroxy13
    mizroxy13 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Ceci_O_K wrote: »
    Eat less, move more.

This.

• CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I think nothing will work unless you are 100% on it. That said what also works is being consistent with watever you do. Count calories to T, exercise and drink lots of water. Also be kind to yourself if you cheat or fall off the wagon. Just get up and get going don't beat yourself up.
    This is what works for me :)
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Conscious eating...knowing what I ate and how it affected my weight and health, as well as how it made me feel. I started with calorie restriction only. In two weeks I lost 8lbs. Once I felt that portion control was a sustainable habit, I started working out. First strength and body weight workouts, then a couch to 5k. In 3 months, I lost another 11 lbs and yes, felt great about that. But then I stalled for a month. From that point, I started eating low carb, for weight loss purposes but also for the health benefits for me. In 5 weeks I've lost 9 lbs and feel better then I ever have before. I am actually eating more calories and foods that I prefer, and not ever feeling hungry or depraved. I am learning as I go and modifying as needed, but throughout this entire 6 month period, it has been my recognition of the food I eat and how it affects me which has given me the most success.
  • jlgrebe
    jlgrebe Posts: 30 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    So here's a tidbit for y'all. Not so much a diet method, but just something to keep in mind.

I had braces put on my teeth about six months ago and I lost almost 20 pounds in 4 months. It was not healthy and wasn't sustained because after a few months my teeth didn't hurt as bad and now I've gained back about six pounds. I basically lived on soft foods, ate next to nothing, had no energy, etc. (typical crash diet stuff).

HOWEVER!

One thing I have kept doing since my mouth has healed, is I cut EVERYTHING up with a knife and fork.

I know this sounds time-consuming. I know it sounds silly. It seriously works. Imagine, for instance, not having the ability to shove food in your face in front of the TV, or while driving, or anywhere.

Tortilla chips, crackers, bite-sized foods I break into pieces if they aren't fork-friendly. I never eat a chip in one bite anymore. Also, lots of water. When it kills you to try to even put mashed potatoes in your mouth, water is your friend. This whole braces thing really helped me realize what HUNGRY is, and what "I'm bored" is!

Just FYI, I'm also someone who has tried everything and, prior to this new food-to-mouth revelation, the only thing that remotely worked for me was starving myself and diet pills (NOOOOOO!!!!!), and the weight would always come back.

I encourage you to try this for, like, 30 days. It made all the difference in the world for me, and maybe it would be a small change that would help you out, too.

Good luck!
  • TitikiOoh
    TitikiOoh Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was to be aware of what I was eating. To eat 3 meals, dessert, and up to two snacks a day. I logged everything and got a feel for both calories and nutrition in what I ate, but at the same time was my philosophy was one meal at a time so if I messed up with one meal didn't mean the entire day was ruined and I didn't skip meals because I ate to many calories. It ended up being surprisingly simple.

No guilt, no shame.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Logging in what I eat, and intermittent fasting. I do a fasting window of 20 hours, and a feasting window of 4 hours. Being able to pack away ridiculously satisfying meals of a variety of foods to match my recommended calorie intake within 240 minutes, keeps my cravings at bay, and has kept me going for many months.
  • ParamoreAddict
    ParamoreAddict Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    It wasn't any gimmick or specialized diet plan. I just knew that I needed to lose the weight and it all started with eating better. I started reading the bags of everything I ate. Noticing the calories, the macros, etc. The biggest hurdle of all for me is staying away from fast food. It takes a lot of discipline when you've been eating that stuff constantly for years. I've re-lapsed on my journey but dusted myself off and came back again. Will power, eating good food (my diary is open if you want to see what I eat) and exercise daily. That's been my plan. Works pretty awesome if I say so myself :)

8830689.png
  • IncredibleShrinkingSandy
    Options
    So far I have lost a total of 12 pounds and have about 55 to go. I have struggled with losing weight for a while now. In the beginning September after seeing an aquaintence who used to be over 300 pounds and then lost enough weight to weigh less than me along with a person I don't care much for whom is losing weight just for an event and I'm sure will gain it all back once the event is over I decided now was the time. I decided if the aquaintence can do it (even if she had weight loss surgery) I could do it on my own and keep off the weight, in turn showing the yo-yo dieter that losing weight is a lifestyle change and not something you do temporarily.

I decided that I would set a goal of losing about a pound a week. So, far I have been able to do that. I don't deprive myself but still try to be healthy most days. I convinced myself that if I want it bad enough then there shouldn't be any excuses. I won't eat junk just because but either because it has been at least one week since my last indulgence or a special occasion. I gained my weight because I had a daily fast food habit where I had it once a day most days and two or three times a day on others. I would maybe skip a day or two and not eat fast food here and there but nothing worth weight loss. If I do get fast food now I try to make good choices or at least better. I also convinced myself that this is going to be a battle but the end result, even if it takes a while to get to it, will be better than feeling ugly and depressed because of my weight. A few months is nothing compared to the years of pain I have felt and would continue feeling if I didn't do something about it now.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    I've lost 45 pounds over 14 months, most of it in the first six or seven months, much slower since then. I'd like to lose at least another 20 to reach what's considered a healthy weight for my height. What's worked for me is
    1) having a reason to lose that was really important to me (averting several health conditions I seemed to be headed for)
    2) logging everything, even when I had to estimate because I was eating at a restaurant or hotel that doesn't post nutrition information -- and never saying "oh, I'm already over, what does it matter, I won't log it"-- for me it was important to know how much over, and to see that over several days or a week, I still had a deficit, even if it was small
    3) allowing myself to eat more when I was really hunger, because as long as I logged it, I could see that I was still 150 calories under maintenance, or whatever it might be
    4) gradually adding a variety of exercise activities that I enjoy (yes, you can lose without exercise, but I'm doing this to be healthy -- plus, I often find that exercise works as an appetite suppressant, although it frequently catches up to me a little bit the next day)
    5) not making any foods off limits - I still eat pizza and ice cream and drink alcohol when I want, I even have french fries occasionally, although I usually don't eat the entire serving, because it's the first few bites that taste the best, and knowing how many calories are in the whole serving, I generally don't feel like it's worth it. I guess that's something I do a fair bit now: not finishing all the food that a restaurant serves. If it's something that will taste good later, I may bring the leftovers home, and if not, I don't feel guilty about leaving it. In the long term, if more people did this, maybe restaurants would take the hint and make portions more reasonable.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    It wasn't any gimmick or specialized diet plan. I just knew that I needed to lose the weight and it all started with eating better. I started reading the bags of everything I ate. Noticing the calories, the macros, etc. The biggest hurdle of all for me is staying away from fast food. It takes a lot of discipline when you've been eating that stuff constantly for years. I've re-lapsed on my journey but dusted myself off and came back again. Will power, eating good food (my diary is open if you want to see what I eat) and exercise daily. That's been my plan. Works pretty awesome if I say so myself :)

8830689.png

Do you put your ticker in manually? Mine disappeared when they did that overhaul of the forums a while back.
  • ParamoreAddict
    ParamoreAddict Posts: 839 Member
    Options

8830689.png

Do you put your ticker in manually? Mine disappeared when they did that overhaul of the forums a while back.

Yeah have to put my ticker back in manually with the bbcode every single time. It's a pain but def worth it. They better bring it back. Love showing off my weight loss total :)

8830689.png

• 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Here is what I do...consider:
    I address 2 areas that make up my health and fitness program.

1. Food Intake - I eat clean as defined by lean meats, fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, whole grains, beans and raw dairy.
    If man makes it, I try not to eat it.
    2. Exercise - both cardio and strength...and I try to engage routines that employ training I enjoy like biking, swimming, calisthenics, hiking and MMA

I train about 3 hours daily with an occasional day off. I eat around 4000 calories per day.
    That's it.
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Cutting out pop completely, drinking water and walking.
  • rupert2011
    rupert2011 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

For me: taking myself seriously. Considering myself worthy of looking fantastic. Which mean: not sabotaging myself. Not slipping into old habits. Doing this for me and forever because I want to treat myself the best way possible.
    [/quote]

This

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    bump
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Eating what I want in moderation
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!