Indoor vs. Outdoor Running- Need advice

I am a treadmill runner. I just love it. I love watching a movie or TV while I run because it distracts me and I like to challenge myself with speed. I know some runners HATE treadmills and only run outside. This weekend I tried to run outside in preparation for my 3rd 10K because, duh, it's outside. It's not that I can't run outside, it's just that I prefer inside. Does it make me less of a runner or a failure at running because I can't/don't like outdoor running? Ironically enough when I do run outside (for races that is) my mile time is significantly faster. I don't know it's it's beacause I'm racing/challenging myself more, or if there's actually a scientific reason for faster times outside. I just hated that feeling of failure because I couldn't finish two miles without stopping outside, but I can run 4 miles on the treadmill no problem. Advice, opinions, anything?

Replies

• melissaka7
    melissaka7 Posts: 277 Member
    Wow. Nothing?
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    There was just a post about this the other day, but to me they are very different workouts. When you're running outside you're propelling yourself forward and dealing with wind resistance and terrain and all of that. Just works your body differently, but there's nothing wrong with enjoying the treadmill and just wanting to do that. The reason why your speed is faster outside is probably because you only run outside during races and the adrenaline (and the fact that you're "racing") perks you up. Just a guess. If you like what you're doing though, just keep on keepin' on.
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    I ran on treadmills for over a year before venturing outside. I find steady-state more common outside, while I'll choose a hill/sprint program on the treadmill. As I live in a flat area, the treadmill pushes me in some ways.

But I like to run with my pup, and he can't run on the treadmill with me, so to the outdoors we head.

I prefer trails to the road, but find myself running on the local roads (or in the ditches) due to convenience.

Running with music or an audiobook playing on the phone helps keep the mind occupied. You might see if something along those lines will help you appreciate the outdoor runs more.

When you push too fast outside, of course you will not be able to run as far without a break! :) I had the same issue. If you want to improve your endurance for outside, up your speed and hill work inside.

Scientifically speaking, we push through air when running outside, but don't have the same force on our body running inside. I read that a 1.5% incline on the treadmill mimics this exertion level.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I don't like treadmill running (I'm trying to talk myself into running some treadmill intervals tonight!), but depending on where you live enjoying the indoor running could be a lucky thing in the winter.

It's normal to run faster in a race than for regular training, and I actually find the treadmill mostly useful in pushing myself to up my speed.

As for the stopping, the question is why. Were you just bored or unable to get into it? If so, like others have mentioned, find something to distract you outside if the scenery doesn't do it--I love podcasts and of course music, and there are things like Zombies Run or books on tape or find a running group, maybe. Or if you are generally fine in your races don't worry about it, at least for a 10K or less, as the atmosphere of the race will generally get you through. If you felt unable to finish for other reasons, maybe it is that you are used to the treadmill pacing you so ended up doing the opposite of what I do and actually running faster (too fast for you on a training run) outside. My guess is that's more likely than that it was outside being significantly more challenging for you physically. However, if you were having some other issue--like with your feet--be aware that the surfaces are different and I've heard that some people used to treadmill running might tread too hard when transiting to outdoors or that kind of thing.
  • rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    edited October 2014
    Do you run? Yes? Congratulations, you are a runner. :-) See, that was easy.

Race pace is almost always faster than training pace so it's not surprising that your outdoor pace is faster than your indoor. You should also notice you're a lot more sore after a race - you generally work a lot harder in races than you do in training!

My 2c - and it's a very persona decision - I cannot stand treadmill running, for me the experience of running is inherently outdoors, immersive and all-encompassing. If it's raining, it's raining. If it's 40C / 100F, it's hot. If it's windy, it's windy. All of these things form part of the experience. Sometimes you have a great run in *kitten* conditions - one of my best training time trials was in the pouring rain.

The other thing I can't get my head around is the mindset that exercise would require distraction (ie watching a movie while on a treadmill). It sounds so odd - instead of going outside and running a physically measurable distance past actual things in reality, we hop onto a loop of rubber inside a building and watch made up things on TV.

Or worse still, my colleagues that drive to the gym, jump on the exercise bike for half an hour, then drive home. Why?? Why not buy a bike and go for a half hour ride from home?

Excepting conditions like safety, weather and access to reasonable running or cycling areas - I will always, always go outside. But being male / living in a safe neighbourhood / having access to good local trails and bike paths may play a significant part in this approach.

• hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    I too run indoors, usually on Tuesdays and Thursday. I also run outdoors, usually on Saturday for my long run. I run indoors during the week because I don't like running in the dark at 5am. Also, I like the treadmill for tempo runs (8 mph at the moment) and progression runs (7 mph to 8.8 mph over the course of an hour). I like the control I get over my workout the treadmill gives me.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    rrowdiness wrote: »

My 2c - and it's a very persona decision - I cannot stand treadmill running, for me the experience of running is inherently outdoors, immersive and all-encompassing. If it's raining, it's raining. If it's 40C / 100F, it's hot. If it's windy, it's windy. All of these things form part of the experience.

I agree with rrowdiness, love my runs, particularly when people think I am "crazy" for running in "this!"
  • yc4king
    yc4king Posts: 117 Member
    First of all, why do you care what other people think? What other runners think if your "worthiness" of being called a runner are irrelevant. Do what you enjoy and don't worry about other people.

That being said I hate the treadmill, running outside is much more enjoyable to me. I listen to podcasts most of the time. Unfortunately I don't like running outside enough to take on the -30c temperatures in the winter, so i'll be spending a good half the year running on a treadmill in my basement.... Thank goodness for netflix!
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    It has to drop below zero before I will think about treadmill run....
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    If you never race and solely pound a dreadmill for fitness, you're just someone who uses a treadmill.

My views are not endorsed by the running community at large.
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    edited October 2014
    I don't get the "failure" thing TBH. Why should you be a failure because you run on the treadmill only?

Any activity you do should be undertaken because you enjoy it and it is clear you do. That's a wonderful achievement which not many people can attain!

For me, I live and breathe running (lol) and I am of the opinion that everything has its place in training. I use the treadmill once a week to run at an incline of 6-10% and I go up to 20% for speedwalking.

I also think treadmill runs are good for mental conditioning for ultras due to the monotony of the runs and the lack of mental stimulation from the surroundings. Mentally pushing yourself to continue for 2 or 3 hours on the treadmill is far, far more difficult than doing it on a long run on the road or trail.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Another treadmill hater here...I prefer running outside because I like the challenge and variety of different terrains, hills, weather conditions (I actually really love running in the rain!) - and most importantly the opportunity to run different routes, be outdoors and explore the beautiful countryside around where I live. I spend all day sitting at my desk on a computer so the last thing I want to do when I get home - as rrowdiness said - is jump on a rubber loop in an airconditioned room and plug into yet another screen to watch made up stuff.

With treadmills, I don't see the challenge. OK, you can run for longer or shorter, set the speed faster or slower, and the fancier treadmills can automatically adjust the gradient and whatever, but it's not a real experience, it's just pounding that same rubber loop in the same room in the gym.

I appreciate that many people like treadmill running, and that's cool. Each to their own. Is it "proper" running...? Well yeah I guess..., but the treadmill takes some of the effort out of running so I think it's an easier version of running. I do wonder if the fact that it's easier to run on a treadmill is the real reason people say they prefer it?

But whatever, at the end of the day, love treadmills or hate them, what's important is being active and staying healthy so do what you gotta do.
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    I love my tredmill and its a huge reason for my weight loss to date. The reason I bought it is because my wife works away a lot and so Im house bound with the kids when they are in bed, so having a tredmill allows me to run when the kids are asleep and get the pulse racing. It works for me, its helping with the weight loss.
    So.. each to their own, dont feel a failure or any less of a runner.. if it works for you, it works!
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    I live in Scotland too but I just put an extra pair of gloves on and go back outside.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I only run indoors :/ I feel a bit ashamed of that, which is daft I know! at the end of the day does it matter where we run as long as we run? I watch my favourite tv shows while I run and don't notice the time going by - I do up to 50 mins running without stopping 5 days a week and I LOVE that I have more stamina and feel strong and fit :)
    I also prefer to run bare footed, I cannot stand having trainers on my feet (I'm weird like that LOL), so I HAVE to stay indoors.
  • I like both, for different reasons. Like you said, I run faster outside (I think it's the social aspect, I notice I speed up a bit when other people are around me, in case they think I am too slow!) and I like the feeling of the air on my skin.

However I also love running on a treadmill, I zone into it more, I've had some wonderful runs where it feels effortless and I feel like I could run forever but only on a treadmill. It's also kinder and more cushioned on my joints.

Ultimately, it's horses for courses. If you run for enjoyment and you enjoy the treadmill more, then carry on with the treadmill. If you run to compete in races and get better times and running outside helps you do that, then carry on. Most likely, combine the two and get the benefits of both types of running.

And no, you are not less of a runner because you prefer a treadmill. If you run, you're a runner. End of story.
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    I also prefer running outside. My physio suggested that treadmill running was aggravating a calf injury, so I moved outside and now wouldn't go back unless absolutely necessary.

It doesn't matter what I like though: it's what YOU like.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    I tried to start running about 5 times in outdoor terrain doing the C25K method and I couldn't ever get past the first week without repeating it 6 times before finally giving up. I finally changed tactics and started on a treadmill about 3 weeks ago and I am improving wonderfully.

I think running without the treadmill led to my initial failures because I running too fast since I couldn't control my pace and was stalling out after 30 seconds at a go, even with walking in between. Some people are probably better at pacing themselves than some newbies like me and wouldn't even have this issue.

I can't wait until I can start running outside and applying the pacing I've learned on a treadmill. I would much prefer to be outdoors.

Personally, FWIW....I didn't consider myself a runner until I could run a full minute at one go, walk for a minute and then do another minute, back and forth for a mile. Some people might scoff at that definition, but the first time I ran, it was for only 7 seconds, so for me it is astonishing improvement and my times get better almost every time I run.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    edited October 2014
    I'm not a fan of the treadmill, just find it incredibly boring, I won't watch movies/tv when I'm working out as I'm not focus'd on my workout if I'm watching TV, you might find this is another reason that you're faster outside, as you've said yourself, you watch the movies etc to distract yourself, meaning you're not focus'd on the running and might be going slower because of the lack of focus. It has to be very icy outside before I'll stop, even below zero, if the tracks are gritted, I'll be out running with the dog!!
    However, that being said, it's up to you what you prefer and it depends on what you're looking to get out of it, if you have a lot of 'races' outside then practising on the treadmill isn't helping as much as running outside, but if you're only entering the occassional 'race' then it doesn't really matter, I've trained outside all year this year for running, but I was training for a marathon, there's a huge difference between running 26.2 miles on a treadmill and running that on the road, running 5k on the treadmill and then on the road is not as big an issue to the legs!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    edited October 2014
    dharkan wrote: »
    I also think treadmill runs are good for mental conditioning for ultras due to the monotony of the runs and the lack of mental stimulation from the surroundings. Mentally pushing yourself to continue for 2 or 3 hours on the treadmill is far, far more difficult than doing it on a long run on the road or trail.

Also having the fridge and bathroom right down the hall adds a hint of realism to ultra training