Whole Foods sued over sugar content in yogurt

Options
2»

Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Well I wonder how much they will have to pay out this time. First a ridiculous amount of money for overcharging customers for deli and hot food products due to not accounting for the weight of the container now this.

Whole Foods.....over rated, over priced for no reason. Just so people can see you shop at Whole Foods like it's some great social status boosting tool. Just dumb.

Pretty much the bolded. I go to Whole Foods for my job, but if my clients weren't always specifying something that can only be purchased at Whole Foods, I would never go there. It's way overpriced and it's always a madhouse. The only thing I really liked there was the self grind peanut butter, but I have a food processor, so I've been making my own lately, so now I have no reason to go (except for my job).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    While I think the suit is rather frivolous, dismissing a complaint about nutritional information on the basis of common sense would create a bad precedent.

Oh, as a suit it's probably not frivolous, although any damages claim ought to be. I'm reasonably sure there's some kind of statutory liability for labeling mistakes (haven't checked, though), and I don't feel sorry for WF or the company they outsourced this to (that was my point about them being dumb for not catching it). What I find mindboggling is the people who comment on this as if it was some fraud or evidence of hidden sugar in food and all the rest. It's plain yogurt. Of course it has lactose. Lactose is sugar. Anyone who thinks it's some conspiracy about "added sugar" or that someone worried about sugar grams alone should be eating yogurt needs to read a book on nutrition, ideally one not written by Lustig.

WF is kind of self-righteous (although I like shopping there, shrug, and wasn't aware it was supposed to be status boosting--they just have some things my local TJ's and Jewel don't have and are closer than Mariano's), so I get why others enjoy this story, but most of the commentary about it is pretty silly and suing because your yogurt had lactose in it and you were surprised really ought to embarrass people.
  • fit_abbey
    fit_abbey Posts: 24
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Ouch.

Meanwhile, for those who wonder, here is some info about sugar/lactose content in yogurt:

"Plain yogurt has no added sugar, yet a 6-ounce container has about 12 grams of naturally-occurring sugar in the form of lactose.
    Fruit-flavored yogurt varies in the amount of sugar added, so it's important that you read the Nutrition Facts panel. On average, the added fruit and sweeteners contribute about 14 grams of sugar, making the total sugars about 26 grams in a 6-ounce container."

Here is the complaint in the lawsuit:
    "The suits seek to represent consumers who bought the yogurt from August 2008 to the present at 13 Whole Foods stores in New Jersey and 10 in Pennsylvania. They allege the sugar content in "Whole Foods 365 Everyday Value Plain Greek Yogurt" is more than five times higher than the amount listed on its nutritional label.The label lists sugar content at two grams per 170 gram serving, but testing has shown 11.4 grams of sugar, according to the suit."

I like learning new things about food and the nutritional info, it helps me to know where I can down on calories. :)