lower stomach fat/loose skin

Options
I lost most of my weight through running, which meant I didn't gain any muscle. Now that Im at a healthy BMI, I have started strength training to try and change my shape. However, having been obese for my entire adult life, plus being pregnant, my lower stomach is horrible, I cant actually tell if its a fatty pouch or loose skin. Im seriously considering plastic surgery, but I would much rather work hard and get it off naturally. Can anyone suggest specific exercises to help me?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    As you may have heard, exercise doesn't target fat or skin. So if you have extra body fat to lose, follow a standard fat loss plan, which includes full-body strength training. It's best to follow a good program (NROL, Stronglifts, personal trainer, etc). Adding additional ab exercises won't change your results.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    By the way, it can take up to 2 years for any loose skin to snap back.
  • dorrettdenae
    Options
    I have lost 170 pounds with running and built a ton of muscle running is great for abs the pouch probably never go away doesn't matter what u do I have bmi 22 bf% 28 and waist 26 I still have a ways to go on body fat target 24 but I am noticing my skin starting to tighten up it takes time before drastic surgery give ur self at least a year. I am dealing with my inner thighs and tummy it drives me nut but trying to be patient and see what happens good luck
  • doesthisappmakemelookfat
    Options
    I'm a skin sufferer. I get it. It may not snap back. (depending on your skin type). Surgery is the only thing that will work for some people.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    As you may have heard, exercise doesn't target fat or skin. So if you have extra body fat to lose, follow a standard fat loss plan, which includes full-body strength training. It's best to follow a good program (NROL, Stronglifts, personal trainer, etc). Adding additional ab exercises won't change your results.
    WTF? of course exercise targets fat...........eating less and working out = lose weight........lose weight = less fat

ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure they meant that you can't spot reduce. At least I'm hoping that's what they meant.
  • tamelakaye79
    tamelakaye79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    WTF? of course exercise targets fat...........eating less and working out = lose weight........lose weight = less fat

ridiculous.

I think she meant you cannot spot reduce- which is true.

Great job on your weight loss! I think after getting into that weight room and lifting heavy you will see a big change in your physique- even if a little skin is left- a "mom's badge of honor"

There are great ST programs online- Simply Shredded for women in addition to the previous ones mentioned. Good luck and happy lifting!!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Down 164 pounds so far and have lots of extra skin. Depending on your age and how much you lose, the loose, empty skin may or may not bounce back. Yes working on strengthing the core muscles will tighten up some of that abdominal skin. But for folks like me, late 50's and when done will have lost over 200 pounds, surgery is the only way to get rid of it. And since it's starting to cause me issues (rashes, infections, etc.) I may have no choice in the matter.