Indoor vs. Outdoor Running- Need advice

Options

Replies

• handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    your going to get all kinds of responses..personally i hate the treadmill..im usually only good for about 30-40 minutes on them with each step being HELL...but put me outside and i can run for hours...

i really like the peace of mind that comes with running outside....as well feeling what my body is doing while im at it...hows my breathing, is my form right? etc etc
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    dharkan wrote: »
    I also think treadmill runs are good for mental conditioning for ultras due to the monotony of the runs and the lack of mental stimulation from the surroundings. Mentally pushing yourself to continue for 2 or 3 hours on the treadmill is far, far more difficult than doing it on a long run on the road or trail.

Also having the fridge and bathroom right down the hall adds a hint of realism to ultra training

Ha, ha, I'm sure your reply was meant to be sarcastic but the fact that both are within easy reach makes it even more difficult to stay on!

Anyway, for trail ultras, the toilet's also within easy reach (even for us girls :)).
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I also think treadmill runs are good for mental conditioning for ultras due to the monotony of the runs and the lack of mental stimulation from the surroundings. Mentally pushing yourself to continue for 2 or 3 hours on the treadmill is far, far more difficult than doing it on a long run on the road or trail.

Also having the fridge and bathroom right down the hall adds a hint of realism to ultra training
    Lol...the treadmill aid station...
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    If you never race and solely pound a dreadmill for fitness, you're just someone who uses a treadmill.

My views are not endorsed by the running community at large.

I will endorse you... privately, of course.... when no treadmillers are around...
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    melissaka7 wrote: »
    it's just that I prefer inside. Does it make me less of a runner or a failure at running because I can't/don't like outdoor running?

No.

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Continue to do what works best for you and your body. Nothing beats outdoor running. I find running on the treadmill much harder on my joints. Good luck at your 10 K. I just did a 10K in NYC last weekend. Ran it on Roosevelt Island. Awesome!!!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Does it make me less of a runner or a failure at running because I can't/don't like outdoor running?

Nope. It just demonstrates an ability to deal with a level of tedium that normal mortals struggle with ;)

I can cope with perhaps ten minutes on one, but outside I'm comfortable for about 3 hours.

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    If you never race and solely pound a dreadmill for fitness, you're just someone who uses a treadmill.

My views are not endorsed by the running community at large.

I will endorse you... privately, of course.... when no treadmillers are around...

fwu9q16ekb50.jpg
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

Ha, ha, I'm sure your reply was meant to be sarcastic but the fact that both are within easy reach makes it even more difficult to stay on!

Anyway, for trail ultras, the toilet's also within easy reach (even for us girls :)).

I just pee on the wall :)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    "I am a treadmill runner"

Sorry to hear it. I hope you get well soon....
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    digginDeep wrote: »

You can also stay away from people, fresh air, scenery, variety in incline and pitch, flowers, bees, and fat children.

dldhb.jpg

No bee-shaming here, pal
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I am a treadmill runner. I just love it. I love watching a movie or TV while I run because it distracts me and I like to challenge myself with speed. I know some runners HATE treadmills and only run outside. This weekend I tried to run outside in preparation for my 3rd 10K because, duh, it's outside. It's not that I can't run outside, it's just that I prefer inside. Does it make me less of a runner or a failure at running because I can't/don't like outdoor running? Ironically enough when I do run outside (for races that is) my mile time is significantly faster. I don't know it's it's beacause I'm racing/challenging myself more, or if there's actually a scientific reason for faster times outside. I just hated that feeling of failure because I couldn't finish two miles without stopping outside, but I can run 4 miles on the treadmill no problem. Advice, opinions, anything?

I know I love the treadmill. It's isolated and I can retreat inwardly and focus on me. I wouldn't let it worry you. Maybe once in a while, go for a long outdoor run just to broaden the experience. That way, you won't feel like you're shorting yourself. :-)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    hi. I do both kinds of running. I prefer outside running to the treadmill mostly because its less boring. I also find that when I hurt myself running it is usually on the treadmill. Something about the mechanics of the ground moving under me vs. me running over the ground does something to an old injury to my right ankle when I run on the mill. I think you should just do what makes your workout bearable. I've moved to more treadmill running now that it is getting dark earlier. I have no desire to run in the dark. I'm not graceful and it just sounds like a good way to hurt myself.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Not sure where some people get the idea that treadmill running is easier. I run both pretty much equally depending on the day and my mood or training plan. I find that running outdoors is always quicker regardless of whether I'm training or racing. I think that those who cluck their tongues at the treadmill are the same running snobs that tell you if you aren't running at least 10MPH your just jogging. Seriously, we should be encouraging running in all forms not kicking people for not running in a certain way.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Hey, if you prefer the treadmill, then go for it. But you'll find you do better in races if you do at least some of your runs outside. If you are bored running by yourself, I suggest finding a running group and run with them once or twice a week. It's fun! Some of the groups even meet for coffee and / or beer afterwards.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    For what its worth - I like treadmill running because I can multi-task. As a parent, wife, student, and employee (with 2 jobs) there is just so much going on. I can read on the treadmill (though that is better for walking than running) and thus combine school work and fitness. Or watch tv and clear something off the DVR while running.

But I also feel like I have easier control, as a new runner, with knowing my times/speed. I will venture outside in the coming months but for now prefer the treadmill.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    edited October 2014
    Options

You can also stay away from people, fresh air, scenery, variety in incline and pitch, flowers, bees, and fat children.

dldhb.jpg

No bee-shaming here, pal

I'm just saying, it would really screw up my run if I encountered bees....

54761257_6237e8d69d.jpg

It's the cops that mess me up

iktj4u7jezg7.jpg

• nlutece
    nlutece Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I also prefer to run bare footed, I cannot stand having trainers on my feet (I'm weird like that LOL), so I HAVE to stay indoors.

Have you ever tried Vibram Five Fingers? They're shoes that are like little rubber gloves for your feet so the "barefoot" feeling is preserved, but your feet are protected from gravel, glass, or anything else that could hurt your feet outside.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    nlutece wrote: »
    I also prefer to run bare footed, I cannot stand having trainers on my feet (I'm weird like that LOL), so I HAVE to stay indoors.

Have you ever tried Vibram Five Fingers? They're shoes that are like little rubber gloves for your feet so the "barefoot" feeling is preserved, but your feet are protected from gravel, glass, or anything else that could hurt your feet outside.

And if you bought them last year, you could have gotten in on the settlement for their fraudulent claims :)
  • nlutece
    nlutece Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I personally used to be strictly an outside runner and refused to use a treadmill, until one day I bit the bullet and tried it. Now I can't get off it. I love the treadmill. It really pushes me, and there's something about watching the numbers tick by that makes me push myself to do one more mile. If I'm running outside, I'll stop mid-mile. Not on the treadmill.

Of course, I also moved to a very hot, very polluted city with thick smog, so breathing the air while running outside really isn't great. It doesn't help that If I run too far I end up in a sketchy area. Wish I lived in New England still :disappointed: