Made Serious Changes Seeing Little Results...

Options

Replies

• jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    "You're wasting money and effort on the wrong stuff."

I disagree with this statement. You have made some very positive changes for your health. You state that you feel so much better, healthier, more energy. So no, you aren't wasting anything. But you may be eating more that you think you are...
  • cotybadge
    Options
    cotybadge wrote: »
    I do log everything on fit pal, I measure everything, on myfitpal I have it set for 1260 calories a day I think I've only gone over maybe 2 times in 5 weeks and by under 100 calories. I also drink a TON of water.

When you measure everything, make sure you only use measuring cups or measuring spoons for liquids, not solids. I used to measure my peanut butter with a table spoon and found that I was actually eating double the amount per serving instead of weighing it for the accurate amount.

Good to know! I think this might help a little bit
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you aren't logging the correct amount of calories. All the organic, "clean" foods in the world won't make you lose weight. You just need to eat less than you burn. If you're at 1260, you'd be losing weight. Buy a food scale and check to see if what you think was a certain amount really is.
  • cotybadge
    Options

I disagree with this statement. You have made some very positive changes for your health. You state that you feel so much better, healthier, more energy. So no, you aren't wasting anything. But you may be eating more that you think you are...

Thank you, yes I think that is what I am gathering that maybe I'm eating more than I think I am.
  • truecountrygirl
    truecountrygirl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    your not going to lose weight as fast as someone that has a lot to lose. also if your body is used to this routine your gonna have to try and step it up a bit and keep adding more to a workout or something. some people log when they work i for one work in a food kitchen and am on my feet all day pretty much. i dont log this for the simple fact that my body is used to this so i work out when i get home and log that as my exercise. just try and be patient it will come
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Thank you, yes I think that is what I am gathering that maybe I'm eating more than I think I am.

It can be done on ANY kind of food, not just the expensive organic crap.

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    If you eat the healthiest, cleanest most organic food in the world and exercise for hours a day, you won't see any weight loss if you're still consuming more calories than you need.
    Weigh your food, measure out portions, don't forget to include drinks and water, and stick within your calorie allowance.
    +1
  • cotybadge
    Options
    Ok here is a question: So everyone is saying calorie deficit and I don't really know much I'm learning as I go but Ive always heard you have to burn more than you consume but then you also hear that if you eat to few calories its bad for you and won't do any good either. Guess I'm just kind of confused.
  • cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration. I've hit a plateau and it's driving me crazy. Again, patience is the key as they say. I wanted to mention that our stories are very similar. I started Paleo about 2 months ago and immediately noticed how much better I felt. Like you, I ate a LOT of carbs. I also ate a ton of processed food, bread and cheese, etc. Basically I was doing everything wrong. I despised fruit and vegetables. I'd eat a tiny weight watchers pizza for dinner and call it a night. I did join the gym (again) but this time my diet was in line so I saw results right away. Although my weight loss didn't "track" properly on MFP (user error on how in input my weight as I lost), I have lost 11 pounds so far. HOWEVER, I have hit a plateau for the last couple of weeks and it's driving me crazy. I'm 6 pounds away from my goal weight.

I've read all the comments and yes patience is key but that's sometimes easier said than done. My suggestion would be to research HIIT Training and Tabata workouts. If you ramp up your exercise and introduce new activities you are likely to jump start weight loss. Everything I have read says that High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) and Tabata are designed to blast calorie and fat burning. The theory is that moderate exercise won't do much for fat blasting and weight loss...that aerobic exercise is awesome for your overall health and well being but anaerobic exerices is where you get results when other methods seem ineffective. I'm waiting on a foot injury (tendonitis) to heal and then I'm going to introduce HIIT and Tabata into my exercise routine. As far as the cost of grocieries, I feel your pain, friend. I don't buy organic. I just buy good produce and wash any pesticides off. It may not be the ideal way of doing things, but unless you are financially well off, it's just too costly to buy everything organic. Many groceries stores are making available chicken, beef, turkey and pork that are not necessarily labeled "organic" but are healthier than the regular stock. The cost is only slightly higher I have found (less than a dollar per item). Look for meat that is antibiotic and steroid free, rather than stamped organic. Fresh fruits and veggies are great for you regardless of organic or not. Do what you can within your means. Sometimes Paleo has to be tweaked to be a viable option for the average person. Don't lose heart. You're doing great things by changing your lifestyle and you must be encouraged by the fact that you feel healthier and more vital. Whatever you do, don't give up. Read everything you can out there on different methods to get maximum results. It's all science and math. Barring a medical condition, you should have no problem finding the right combination to make this work for you. Keep up posted on as you progress. I think you've got this!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Have you lost any weight?

A lot of times these major diet overhauls don't last because it's too drastic to be sustainable. Yours sounds very drastic, to be honest. Only shopping in the produce section, no creamer, no alcohol-- very few people can stick to that. Smaller changes might be more lasting and give you more patience.

Good luck!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Ok here is a question: So everyone is saying calorie deficit and I don't really know much I'm learning as I go but Ive always heard you have to burn more than you consume but then you also hear that if you eat to few calories its bad for you and won't do any good either. Guess I'm just kind of confused.

Yes, eating too little is also not good for you. Yes, you'll lose weight eating too little, but it's not good for your body, and many people find it's not sustainable. The whole "if you don't eat enough your body will hold on to fat" thing is not true. You just can't get proper nutrients from a very low calorie diet.

• cotybadge
    Options
    cbills65 wrote: »
    I understand your frustration. I've hit a plateau and it's driving me crazy. Again, patience is the key as they say. I wanted to mention that our stories are very similar. I started Paleo about 2 months ago and immediately noticed how much better I felt. Like you, I ate a LOT of carbs. I also ate a ton of processed food, bread and cheese, etc. Basically I was doing everything wrong. I despised fruit and vegetables. I'd eat a tiny weight watchers pizza for dinner and call it a night. I did join the gym (again) but this time my diet was in line so I saw results right away. Although my weight loss didn't "track" properly on MFP (user error on how in input my weight as I lost), I have lost 11 pounds so far. HOWEVER, I have hit a plateau for the last couple of weeks and it's driving me crazy. I'm 6 pounds away from my goal weight.

I've read all the comments and yes patience is key but that's sometimes easier said than done. My suggestion would be to research HIIT Training and Tabata workouts. If you ramp up your exercise and introduce new activities you are likely to jump start weight loss. Everything I have read says that High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) and Tabata are designed to blast calorie and fat burning. The theory is that moderate exercise won't do much for fat blasting and weight loss...that aerobic exercise is awesome for your overall health and well being but anaerobic exerices is where you get results when other methods seem ineffective. I'm waiting on a foot injury (tendonitis) to heal and then I'm going to introduce HIIT and Tabata into my exercise routine. As far as the cost of grocieries, I feel your pain, friend. I don't buy organic. I just buy good produce and wash any pesticides off. It may not be the ideal way of doing things, but unless you are financially well off, it's just too costly to buy everything organic. Many groceries stores are making available chicken, beef, turkey and pork that are not necessarily labeled "organic" but are healthier than the regular stock. The cost is only slightly higher I have found (less than a dollar per item). Look for meat that is antibiotic and steroid free, rather than stamped organic. Fresh fruits and veggies are great for you regardless of organic or not. Do what you can within your means. Sometimes Paleo has to be tweaked to be a viable option for the average person. Don't lose heart. You're doing great things by changing your lifestyle and you must be encouraged by the fact that you feel healthier and more vital. Whatever you do, don't give up. Read everything you can out there on different methods to get maximum results. It's all science and math. Barring a medical condition, you should have no problem finding the right combination to make this work for you. Keep up posted on as you progress. I think you've got this!

Wow this is wonderful, and encouraging thank you!
  • SamberryC
    SamberryC Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was in a very similar position as you not too long ago, I ate very cleanly most of the time (I had moments of weakness every now and then) and maintained a consistent level of exercise. I initially saw results and then plateaued. What made the difference for me was switching to HIIT. When I started doing high intensity workouts everything started to change. Patience is also a virtue when it comes to things like this, especially if you're mainly relying on just controlling your eating to lose weight.

No matter what anyone else says it's great that you've started to feel healthier and happier already and I wish you all the luck in the world going forward!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Yes, eating too little is also not good for you. Yes, you'll lose weight eating too little, but it's not good for your body, and many people find it's not sustainable. The whole "if you don't eat enough your body will hold on to fat" thing is not true. You just can't get proper nutrients from a very low calorie diet.

In addition to this, eating too little and/or trying to increase activity (many people do, I don't remember if you posted you started working out or not) can increase stress on your body. This increases cortisol levels, which can cause water retention. This won't prevent fat loss, but it may mask it by causing the scale to stay the same. For example, if you lose a pound a week for for weeks, but the increase in stress causes you to retain 5lbs of water, after a month, you'll think you gained a pound. Some people at that point will give up, but if you keep going, the fat loss will start to outpace the water gain.

Keep doing what you're doing, but make sure what you are doing is going to work for you. I found that restriction just led to binges for *me*. I'd deny myself all sorts of food, think about all the stuff I couldn't have all the time, obsess, and then buy everything and eat it all in one sitting. Clearly, not everyone will have that problem (nor that extreme), but don't view having an occasional treat as a failure of your "diet".

Our minds seem to be our biggest opponent in weight loss. Don't beat yourself up, and if you find what you're currently doing isn't sustainable, look into what you can change to make your overall diet be healthy (aka, keep you satiated and gets you to the goals you want) but also be sustainable for you. And try to avoid the guilt if you can.
  • cotybadge
    Options
    SamberryC wrote: »
    I was in a very similar position as you not too long ago, I ate very cleanly most of the time (I had moments of weakness every now and then) and maintained a consistent level of exercise. I initially saw results and then plateaued. What made the difference for me was switching to HIIT. When I started doing high intensity workouts everything started to change. Patience is also a virtue when it comes to things like this, especially if you're mainly relying on just controlling your eating to lose weight.

No matter what anyone else says it's great that you've started to feel healthier and happier already and I wish you all the luck in the world going forward!

Thank you very much I really appreciate that and everyones advice. Really I've just been focusing on eating the right things just purely for not polluting my body, yes I am overweight but my main focus is just eating to live not living to eat and to live the best life I can. I don't want to get caught up on diets and just losing weight because "diets" don't work and its lifestyle changes and if you just dwell on losing weight when you get discouraged you can fall back into bad habits. SO I feel like I'm doing the right thing and I really do FEEL like I am doing the right thing my body, mind, everything feels great. I do need to lose some weight though to really feel my best and thats where all this comes into play and I really do appreciate everyones comments!
  • cotybadge
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

In addition to this, eating too little and/or trying to increase activity (many people do, I don't remember if you posted you started working out or not) can increase stress on your body. This increases cortisol levels, which can cause water retention. This won't prevent fat loss, but it may mask it by causing the scale to stay the same. For example, if you lose a pound a week for for weeks, but the increase in stress causes you to retain 5lbs of water, after a month, you'll think you gained a pound. Some people at that point will give up, but if you keep going, the fat loss will start to outpace the water gain.

Keep doing what you're doing, but make sure what you are doing is going to work for you. I found that restriction just led to binges for *me*. I'd deny myself all sorts of food, think about all the stuff I couldn't have all the time, obsess, and then buy everything and eat it all in one sitting. Clearly, not everyone will have that problem (nor that extreme), but don't view having an occasional treat as a failure of your "diet".

Our minds seem to be our biggest opponent in weight loss. Don't beat yourself up, and if you find what you're currently doing isn't sustainable, look into what you can change to make your overall diet be healthy (aka, keep you satiated and gets you to the goals you want) but also be sustainable for you. And try to avoid the guilt if you can.

This is very interesting, I'm learning so much thank you.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    As everyone has said, a caloric deficit is all that's needed for fat loss. The changes you have made will do a lot to help with overall health, mood, and energy levels. These are great, but you will have to determine the most amount of calories you can eat and still lose weight to see results on the scale. I say most because you don't want to start out in too much of a deficit. It can and mostly will hinder you in the long run.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    SamberryC wrote: »

Thank you very much I really appreciate that and everyones advice. Really I've just been focusing on eating the right things just purely for not polluting my body, yes I am overweight but my main focus is just eating to live not living to eat and to live the best life I can. I don't want to get caught up on diets and just losing weight because "diets" don't work and its lifestyle changes and if you just dwell on losing weight when you get discouraged you can fall back into bad habits. SO I feel like I'm doing the right thing and I really do FEEL like I am doing the right thing my body, mind, everything feels great. I do need to lose some weight though to really feel my best and thats where all this comes into play and I really do appreciate everyones comments!

I just want to say major kudos for doing. It's totally awesome that you've taken steps to clean up your diet and the fact that you feel better for having done it is proof positive that it was the right thing for you. Some may say paleo or clean eating isn't necessary but it's obviously what's best for you as an individual so good for you!

Also, I want to say that I think you're doing this the right way. You didn't decide you want to go on a diet, search for one online and pick the latest fad. You said, "You know what, I don't feel good so I'm gonna clean up my diet to feel better." Now you're saying, "I feel awesome now so I want to take the next step and start losing weight. What do I need to do to make that happen? Measure more carefully? Ok, I can do that."
    Next you'll be saying "I think I'll take the next step and add some HIIT and weight lifting into my routine because of what it can do for my health."

The fact that you're doing it for your health is key. Also, the way you're just taking steps in the right direction one step at a time is perfect. Too many people say, "Monday, I'm gonna eat right and go crazy at the gym and become a superfit body specimen" and then turn around and burn out after 3 days.

The way you're making these lifestyle changes, I don't think you'll be burning out or giving up any time soon.

Rock on.
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I am the same height as you but a lot older. In the summer when I started, I was on 1260 calories a day and stayed at 185lb for ages. I stuck religiously to it and ate like you did. I couldn't understand why I wasn't losing weight for weeks on end (I have a very strenuous job as well). Then suddenly, the weight suddenly started to drop off me. I am now 165lb. I think it is patience. I feel loads better as well. Good luck.
  • cotybadge
    Options
    I am the same height as you but a lot older. In the summer when I started, I was on 1260 calories a day and stayed at 185lb for ages. I stuck religiously to it and ate like you did. I couldn't understand why I wasn't losing weight for weeks on end (I have a very strenuous job as well). Then suddenly, the weight suddenly started to drop off me. I am now 165lb. I think it is patience. I feel loads better as well. Good luck.

Wow thank you! Very encouraging, thats basically what I am going to do just tweak things and add more exercise and just be patient.