Instant Oatmeal

Options
I need some help.....I've never cared for Oatmeal- never ate it in my life but just couldn't see eating something that looked like spitup:sick: yuck!!! Either way I broke down & brought some today- store brand & even though it said peaches&cream flavor it tasted like absolutely nothing. I ended up putting sugar in it to be able to eat it. My question is....Does anybody have any suggestions on a good instant oatmeal??? I brought a 10 pack variety box of this stuff so I'm gonna eat it- i think maybe some fresh fruit on top & honey will keep me from adding sugar( which i don't need) . Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated :smile:

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I personally avoid the instant oatmeals because they are full of added sugars and sodium.

I just get the regular old Quaker Oats in the huge cylinder. If i have time, I cook it on the stove (takes 5 minutes) and if not, I toss it into the microwave (1.5 minutes). I like oatmeal that you can stand your spoon up in, so use 1/2 to 2/3 the amount of water in the package directions.
  • eternlgladiator
    Options
    definitely don't add sugar. You're right about that. Honey is find but don't go nuts with it. Fruit is also great. I use old fashioned style quick oats, which are plain, then add my chocolate protein powder. It tastes pretty good and is a great way to start me day.
  • 1aprilaries
    1aprilaries Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    definitely don't add sugar. You're right about that. Honey is find but don't go nuts with it. Fruit is also great. I use old fashioned style quick oats, which are plain, then add my chocolate protein powder. It tastes pretty good and is a great way to start me day.
    Thanks- I'm on the lookout for a protein powder now
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I personally avoid the instant oatmeals because they are full of added sugars and sodium.

I just get the regular old Quaker Oats in the huge cylinder. If i have time, I cook it on the stove (takes 5 minutes) and if not, I toss it into the microwave (1.5 minutes). I like oatmeal that you can stand your spoon up in, so use 1/2 to 2/3 the amount of water in the package directions.

^^^^ This.

You might as well eat a bowl of Frosted Flakes because you are getting no more nutrition than that in instant oatmeal. Seriously!

You don't HAVE to like oatmeal... ;)
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Try some plain oatmeal...(if you get non-instant theres less sodium and sugar)...then add some Agave nectar and fruit. yummm:love:
  • eternlgladiator
    Options
    Thanks- I'm on the lookout for a protein powder now

I know you'll get a million different answers but my best suggestion for finding the right stuff is don't forget about taste and mix ability. Some of them taste horrible and/or don't mix well. You might spend a tad more to get started but you'll know what you like if you try a smaller pack at first, then you aren't stuck with a huge tub of crap.
  • alynnbennett
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has a great chocolate protein powder, I got mine at Walmart for $10. I add it to oatmeal or just a glass of milk. So good!!
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've been eating the McDonald's oatmeal lately. It's really good and has a bunch of fruit in it so it gives it plenty of flavor. It's 290 calories and isn't overly loaded with sodium. It also keeps me full until lunch.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I dont mind the instant oatmeal, as long as I have some fresh cut fruit. Bananas and Cream with fresh cut bananas was a success for me. People talk about the "sugar", but once you start adding milk to cereal, the sugar also goes up. Honestly, its usually a lose lose situation if you are only looking at sugar (at least from what Ive found with my logging). I hated it for years, but the fresh fruit did me good. I get the Wal-Mart value brand. Cold breakfasts I'm not so keen with, so I switch it up with oatmeal a couple times a week so I can have a fast hot breakfast.
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I agree - instant oatmeal is NOT good for you. I buy the Quaker 1-Minute Oats, add some cinnamon and stevia and I'm good to go. No sugar and no sodium. Only 150 calories in 1/4 cup (measure before you cook) and 5 g protein!
  • aimee0515
    aimee0515 Posts: 67
    Options
    Ok...first of all...I don' agree with putting honey in it. These flavored oatmeals already have enough added sugar and honey is just more sugar...whatever way you look at it. PLAIN OATMEAL!! I have a recipe for oatmeal pancakes (high protein) if you would like it. They are VERY GOOD (and I'm not the biggest fan of oatmeal either). Try oat bran. I like that much better. The consistency is smoother. Here are some suggestions for making it sweeter...unsweetened apple sauce, truvia, cinnamon, cocoa powder, sugar free syrup. I mix it up with all of the above. Cinnamon and cocoa powder are very low in calories and both contain antioxidants that are good for you. Cocoa powder even has a gram of fiber. Hope this helps. Let me know if you want my pancake recipe.

Aimee
    B.S. Exercise Physiology
    Certified Nutritionist
  • hclayton46
    hclayton46 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I buy the instant oatmeal, because I don't know how to prepare the old fashioned kind in the cyclinder and I guess I never really bothered to find out how.

Is it easy to prepare at work? I read that some of you mix in protein powder; one scoop?
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Quaker has taken 25% of the sugar out of their instant oatmeals. I like them better now, but I'm with the above - I use the Quaker Old Fashion Oats. This morning I added to it a banana and a tablespoon of peanut butter to come out right at 350 calories (I do the minute and half in the microwave). Normally I just add in frozen mixed berries and a little cinnamon.

If it's the texture you don't like, try this:

1/2 cup Quaker Old Fashion Oats
    2 egg whites (or one whole egg)
    pinch of salt
    teaspoon of baking soda
    dash of vanilla
    cinnamon to taste

Mix it all up in a bowl. Heat a skillet in the mean time. Make just as you a pancake on the stove. Make sure to cook all the way through - it will take about 3-5 minutes.

While cooking on the skillet, I heat up frozen berries, cherries, banana - whatever - in the microwave. Really cook it down so it becomes syrup-y like. Use like a syrup on your "pancake" Don't expect soft and fluffy like a real pancake, but definitely a different texture than traditional oatmeal.

For a treat to the above, I had mini chocolate chips to the batter and use cherries for the syrup........
  • knovello82
    knovello82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I love Quaker Oats instant oatmeal. My favorites are the Maple & Brown Sugar (weight control) & Apples & Cinnamon. It keeps me full longer and it is known to help you lose weight :)
  • ldon37
    ldon37 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Try the lower sugar instant if you are going to do instant. I eat this often (gasp) and it only has 5 grams of sugar and the same amount of fiber per serving as the old fashioned oats (or close to). I like low sugar maple and brown sugar. Your taste buds will adjust quickly. I can't do plain oatmeal quite yet either.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I buy the instant oatmeal, because I don't know how to prepare the old fashioned kind in the cyclinder and I guess I never really bothered to find out how.

Is it easy to prepare at work? I read that some of you mix in protein powder; one scoop?

Oatmeal is REALLY easy to make (the Old Fashion kind) people make it harder than it is. 1/2 cup oats to 1 cup of water - microwave for a minute and a half. I add vanilla and cinnamon before I microwave. You can protein powder if you like - I don't like the taste, but others swear by it. Experiment. I really like to add a tablespoon of peanut butter and a banana.
  • ldon37
    ldon37 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Quaker has taken 25% of the sugar out of their instant oatmeals. I like them better now, but I'm with the above - I use the Quaker Old Fashion Oats. This morning I added to it a banana and a tablespoon of peanut butter to come out right at 350 calories (I do the minute and half in the microwave). Normally I just add in frozen mixed berries and a little cinnamon.

If it's the texture you don't like, try this:

1/2 cup Quaker Old Fashion Oats
    2 egg whites (or one whole egg)
    pinch of salt
    teaspoon of baking soda
    dash of vanilla
    cinnamon to taste

Mix it all up in a bowl. Heat a skillet in the mean time. Make just as you a pancake on the stove. Make sure to cook all the way through - it will take about 3-5 minutes.

While cooking on the skillet, I heat up frozen berries, cherries, banana - whatever - in the microwave. Really cook it down so it becomes syrup-y like. Use like a syrup on your "pancake" Don't expect soft and fluffy like a real pancake, but definitely a different texture than traditional oatmeal.

For a treat to the above, I had mini chocolate chips to the batter and use cherries for the syrup........

This sounds good. I think I might have to try. Thanks for sharing!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

It's super-easy! Measure your oatmeal, add as much water as yo uwant and stick it in the microwave for 1.5 minutes. All done! (I don't add salt although the package recommends it.)
  • msmartt
    msmartt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I add a tablespoon of light brown sugar, vanilla and sometimes dried cherries to my original oatmeal and find that it taste better than the flavored oatmeals. Honestly I don't think I could eat it any other way. Is a tablespoon of light brown sugar bad?
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    i buy Bob's Red Mill oatmeal...either the rolled oats or steel cut...they take a little longer to cook, but i make a bunch and then just re-heat it for the next few days...way less sugar...more fiber...more protein...i like to put a tablespoon of peanut butter and a mashed up banana in it...yum!