Indoor vs. Outdoor Running- Need advice

Options

Replies

• TaraNie
    TaraNie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like to do both! I prefer to be outside, because it's just me with my thoughts, etc. But it is fun to watch a TV show while I run. I pick one TV show during a season that I will only watch on the treadmill to motivate me.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    running outside is better you are dealing with hills and turns works additional areas of muscles that the treadmill can't hit

29509743.png
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    TaraNie wrote: »
    I like to do both! I prefer to be outside, because it's just me with my thoughts, etc. But it is fun to watch a TV show while I run. I pick one TV show during a season that I will only watch on the treadmill to motivate me.

That's actually a really good idea! I'm so behind the times but hubby and I have just finished watching season 2 of Breaking Bad and we're itching to move on to season 3...I hate treadmills and don't have one at home anyway, but I do need to start stretching more. I think I'm gonna do Breaking bad stretches - thanks!
  • melissaka7
    melissaka7 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    digginDeep wrote: »
    v70t5m wrote: »
    Scientifically speaking, we push through air when running outside, but don't have the same force on our body running inside. I read that a 1.5% incline on the treadmill mimics this exertion level.

^this. Also, when you are running outside, or on any surface that is moving under your feet, your hamstrings work harder on the phase of your strike while your leg is underneath you, to put it simply. Your lead foot hits the ground and 'pulls' you forward compared to your loaded leg underneath that you pushes off.

Figure2.jpg

Also to the OP, I am unclear how you push yourself on a treadmill while trying to zone out and watch TV? Seems contradictory, but if it's working for you on race day, I guess keep with it.

I push myself by increasing my speed every 'x' amount of minutes. It's my way of getting my mile time down. When I first started running I could barely run a 20 minute mile. Now I can do it in 10. Which to me is an accomplishment.
  • melissaka7
    Options
    dharkan wrote: »
    I don't get the "failure" thing TBH. Why should you be a failure because you run on the treadmill only?

I'm just very hard on myself. I'm working on it. :)

• belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I used to be treadmill only at the gym. Then time restraints prevented that so if i wanted to stay running I had to start outside. I go at my lunch time nice path I love it know except when the cold gets subzero. I still enjoy treadmill but I do HIT on the treadmill I get bored on it know if I just do steady state. So I enjoy a nice combination of both. Just as a side note I can do a faster pace for a period of time on treadmill then outside as stated earlier no resistance no hills just running.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the replies but......there are many high performance athletes that will train (at least during the winter) on treadmills to maintain their fitness.

To the OP, if it keeps you moving it's a good thing. Whether or not you are a "real" runner or not is for you to say, no one else.
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm going to throw my 2 cents in as well. I started as a treadmill runner last fall, I loved it, absolutely loved it, and due to our winters around here it was a necessity. Once spring hit I did venture outdoors and at first I had a really hard time adjusting to the change. I never thought I'd get used to it, but gave it a shot. I've actually grown to enjoy being outdoors immensely and am having a hard time getting back into TM running now that the weather has turned bad again. I too find that I run faster outside, race or not, I also find it to be easier to go longer distances while I'm outside. However that being said, I'm able to do the same on an indoor track as well so I don't think it's a matter of being inside or outside that makes the difference. I think it's more of a mechanics thing, how our bodies react to different applications of running.

I personally don't think that one is less or a runner if they opt to run on a treadmill. The act of running is what makes you a runner. I think if you give yourself some time you may grow to enjoy being outside as well. I know I did.
  • melissaka7
    edited October 2014
    Options
    To the OP, if it keeps you moving it's a good thing. Whether or not you are a "real" runner or not is for you to say, no one else.

Thank you. I'm trying to tell myself if you run, then you are a runner. Sometimes I just get too in my head.
  • UtahSeth
    UtahSeth Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Not a runner here, more of a bodybuilder/outdoorsman, so take what you want from this.

Every one is at a different level. Don't listen to the haters. I can't run on a treadmill, it makes my shins hurt and my knees ache, so if I have to use a treadmill when I'm cutting (lets face it, sometimes its just more convenient) , I walk at a 3.0 MPH pace uphill for hours at a time, catching up on all the TV shows everyone is watching while I'm Hiking/Camping/Skiing/etc, but if its what I gotta do its what I gotta do.

You gotta do what you gotta do to keep progressing in your chosen sport/hobby/lifestyle so just keep hittin' the mill and gettin' lean and ignore the indoor/outdoor debate all together.
  • melissaka7
    Options
    mssheddy wrote: »
    I'm going to throw my 2 cents in as well. I started as a treadmill runner last fall, I loved it, absolutely loved it, and due to our winters around here it was a necessity. Once spring hit I did venture outdoors and at first I had a really hard time adjusting to the change. I never thought I'd get used to it, but gave it a shot. I've actually grown to enjoy being outdoors immensely and am having a hard time getting back into TM running now that the weather has turned bad again. I too find that I run faster outside, race or not, I also find it to be easier to go longer distances while I'm outside. However that being said, I'm able to do the same on an indoor track as well so I don't think it's a matter of being inside or outside that makes the difference. I think it's more of a mechanics thing, how our bodies react to different applications of running.

I personally don't think that one is less or a runner if they opt to run on a treadmill. The act of running is what makes you a runner. I think if you give yourself some time you may grow to enjoy being outside as well. I know I did.

I appreciate this response. I think I'm going to try to ease myself in to outdoor running. I think what I need is to find a trail/route I enjoy in my area. It's going to start getting cold here soon, so I'll do what I can while I can.
  • RRB2000
    RRB2000 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill. I watch Netflix, zone out and run.....just my preference. Hey, we're better than the people still sitting on the couch, right? :) Stay positive!
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I'm still unsure what the advice is you are seeking?

Notwithstanding that, you're exercising, you're doing something you enjoy and it's working for you. I can't see any issue with that!

• georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I agree with Doug. Treadmill running is great. But a nice race every now and then will let you know how far you have come. You are a runner. Don't worry about what others think and do.. Do what is best for you. Racing is my gauge against myself to see how I have improved. Just have fun and keep up the good work.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Afraid that I am another treadmill hater. I can run two hours out doors at over 7 miles an hour. On the treadmill I find it hard to run at 6MPH for 40 mins. Don't know why but that's what happens. As for the weather I just dress accordingly. Rain, wind snow or even sunshine it makes no difference. If I'm scheduled to run I run. Though I'm not as far North as Scotland. (n Wales)
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I have just fallen in love with running. I am a treadmill runner. I do it because of my location and to do it outside, I would have to go to a park somewhere. I may start doing that on the weekends. I think if you enjoy it then keep up with it. Indoors or outdoors doesn't matter.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I hate the treadmill. But like others have said, if you enjoy it, go for it.
    It's much different than running outside though. If you're training for a race, I would recommend getting outside for at least some of your runs. I once trained for a race using only the treadmill on incline, and race day was a disaster for me.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Don't know why but that's what happens.

I think that a lot of it for me is the numbers clicking over in front of my eyes. I can deal with my Garmin buzzing once per kilometre, and sometimes I'll look at it when it does, sometimes I won't. When I've got something in front of me clicking away at ten metre intervals I find it very demotivating.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    OP: I strongly dislike the dreadmill but use it for pace workouts and speed work if I have to do it alone. I recommend running with a 1.5 incline to simulate road conditions to prepare for your 10k. I realize the standard recommendation is 1.0 but I think that extra little bit helps. Please ignore SDM, he is bored at work and uses to forums to amuse himself.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I think the Paleo people should require you to run exclusively on treadmills. Since they don't really run down their own meat or harvest their own berries, they really can't expect you to go outside and really run. Maybe you could earn outside miles though... like if you shoot a deer and eat it, you can be permitted to run a 5k....