My Scale Sucks!

Options
I bought a scale for the first time ever, ready to lose a few pounds. But the thing doesn't work properly! I can step on it five times in five minutes, and get a different weight every time. I asked my friends whether a digital scale would be better - mixed results.

What do you guys do?

Replies

• teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I use a digital scale, I put it in the same place every time I weigh myself and it is on a tile floor so that it gets my weight properly.
  • smandymail
    smandymail Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks! And if you step off and on again, it tells the same story? What brand is your scale?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I can step on my scale and get a different weight every time, too. It changes based on how you stand on it, clothing, food intake, etc. If I step on it in the exact same place then I get the same number (or off by a small margin).
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Every scale will do that. I only get one more than once if I have a major drop or rise and I want to reconfirm it.
  • smandymail
    Options
    Well, this is frustrating for me since I only need to lose about 5-6 pounds. Guess I can estimate, then check at the doctor's office :)
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    my digital scale does the same thing. I only count the lowest weight though o:)
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    smandymail wrote: »
    Ok thanks! And if you step off and on again, it tells the same story? What brand is your scale?

Health o meter. If I step on the scale and off and then back on again it tells the same weight. I have had it for a while and it takes batteries. It tells me when they need to be switched. It is digital, checks more than weight and tracks four people. However, your scale may be malfunctioning. Can you not return the scale and switch it out for a new one?
  • lfrazier2482
    lfrazier2482 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I recently bought this model.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00472I1V2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    It was cheap and accurate.
  • kiwigal1956
    Options
    throw the scales away! Get out the tape measure - measure bust, waist, hips, thigh, upper arm.... once per week! Truly - I have been over scales for some time now - fickle darned things! The tape measure never lies and it so much more accurate (if you know how to use it correctly of course)!
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    smandymail wrote: »
    I bought a scale for the first time ever, ready to lose a few pounds. But the thing doesn't work properly! I can step on it five times in five minutes, and get a different weight every time. I asked my friends whether a digital scale would be better - mixed results.

What do you guys do?

Get two scales, put one foot on each, sum the amounts, divide by two and keep an average. Just kidding. It could be the batterie.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Are you on carpet? Our Wii Fit did that - under and over by 10-25lbs each time we stepped on it. We had to buy a stand for it. But resting your scale on a solid surface or on top of a plank of wood can help.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Mine too :(

1264p46.jpg
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    They are always a bit fruity. Do several weighs simultaneously and take an average.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I must reiterate what others have said. Being on a flat tile or wood surface is key. Even thin commercial carpeting can throw the scale off. I learned this the hard way when I first started budgeting calories and exercising. All of the scales on carpets were easily 5-10 lbs less than I actually weighed.

Anyway, I've since weighed myself on a dozen different scales, ranging from expensive ones at fitness studios to a mediocre one at home, to a 20 year old scale at my parents. When on a truly flat stable surface they don't change just because I get off and get back on.

If you can't find consistency on a flat surface, and the battery isn't the issue, try a new one.
  • lemurcatta85
    Options
    My scale sucks in a different way. It'll tell me I'm the exact same weight for days in a row, so I "test" it by getting on holding heavy objects and it'll tell me I'm still 140.2 (or whatever) holding the objects. So then I get on without the objects and usually get a different number...
    I just need a better scale!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    okay, I agree, you need a different scale. If you pick up something heavy and it shows no change, then it's a piece of junk!
  • jen350z
    jen350z Posts: 48
    Options
    I use a digital one and I keep it on a flat surface. I always keep it in the same place. I don't seem to have an issue.
  • smandymail
    Options
    Mine is on a perfectly flat, tiled floor. I guess I just need to get a different one!
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Are you on carpet? Our Wii Fit did that - under and over by 10-25lbs each time we stepped on it. We had to buy a stand for it. But resting your scale on a solid surface or on top of a plank of wood can help.

I found my Wii Fit is accurate on tile (matches the doctor's office) but on carpet - it's always off. I just move to a tiled area to check in my weight for the Wii Fit and move to carpet when I'm ready to play.
  • smandymail
    Options
    throw the scales away! Get out the tape measure - measure bust, waist, hips, thigh, upper arm.... once per week! Truly - I have been over scales for some time now - fickle darned things! The tape measure never lies and it so much more accurate (if you know how to use it correctly of course)!

That's a really good idea, thanks!